Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Another electrical question
Posted by: westpismo ()
Date: July 08, 2018 12:55PM

I converted the generator to an single wire alternator on a 63 monza.
I removed the voltage regulator and connected the pig tail directly to the wire that goes to the gen idiot light (actually to the wire which then goes to the connector which then goes to the light). The gen indicator isn't working, so apparently I am the idiot.
Is this because, with the connection now not going through the voltage regulator, there is no ground? If so, is there a solution. If this is not the issue, what might the problem and solutions be?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another electrical question
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2018 01:01PM

Please tell us what Alternator you are using..

Specific wiring diagrams for this conversion are in our STICKY FAQ's...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 08, 2018 01:42PM

X 2 on what Matt said.

The term "one-wire" is misused a lot.

What you want to use is a three wire 10SI. Main power wire, battery voltage sense wire, warning lamp wire.

You'll need the LM alternator oil filler housing, the 10DN Corvair specific front housing AND Corvair specific fan and pulley.

To install a 10SI into a generator car, you'll need the diagram in the FAQ's at this site.

Date: July 08, 2018 02:27PM

The alternator is installed. It's working fine.
this was just a question about the gen light pigtail wire

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2018 04:35PM

If you would look at our FAQ's.... you'd see that the Light wire has to go to Terminal #1 on the one wire.... making a 2 wire.... with no true "System Voltage" sensing... that would be three wire! ggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 08, 2018 04:44PM

Some "one wire" alternators I have seen have a block off plug inserted in the socket Where post #1 and #2 are precluding plugging a wire in to run the light. Seems like you could simply remove this block off plug and be in business but I am not positive. No reason to use one of these when the regular 10SI units work just fine and are essentially a 1 wire hook up except for the wire for the light (the other wire goes from plug to batt lug anyway).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 09, 2018 09:52AM

Got it? The light on the dash HAS to connect to the voltage regulator inside the internally regulated alternator. The big red wire going to the 1/4-20 stud on the alternator is not that wire.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 10, 2018 08:48AM

Let me try this again. The question merely pertains to the wire I am holding in the picture.
The instructions that came with the alternator said to connect the wire to the line to the old, no longer needed external voltage regulator that then went to the gen light.
Since I wanted to remove the external voltage regulator I just connected the wire straight to the line that goes to the gen light (bypassing the old voltage regulator) but it is not working. I was wondering if it was not working because the voltage regulator is grounded and now perhaps the connection is not, or there some other reason. thats it

Attachments:
Date: July 10, 2018 08:50AM

Little bigger version of the picture

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 10, 2018 09:07AM

What you want to read is the last post on this discussion.

[corvaircenter.com]

End result+ NO one hooks up the warning light on the one wire alternator. Best to install a voltmeter with a light when it goes below 12 volts.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 09:17AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 10, 2018 09:24AM

After a couple responses you still haven't replied as to what alternator you installed or were you got it from.

At the two wire connector it looks like a 10SI with the battery sense (red) wire connected to the alternator output. The white wire goes to the "GEN" warning lamp.

I see some of these "one wire" 10SI conversions that use a different internal regulator board to self energize. Delco made the "one wire" regulator boards for farm tractors so only one wire was needed. The down side is you have to rev up the alternator to get them to turn on and there is NO warning lamp circuit.

Difficult to say what you have.

Those of us with knowledge just buy a rebuilt 63AMP "three wire" 10SI used on many 70's and 80's Chevies. We install the Corvair 10DN front frame and fan/pulley. Note that the EM cars do not have a warning lamp parallel resistor used in the LM cars and is recommended. The Corvair 10DN alternator fan/pulley is UNIQUE and for reverse rotation. Sometimes the wrong fan comes on the aftermarket alternators.

A LED bulb won't work in the "GEN" warning lamp circuit (unless some modes are made).

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 10, 2018 10:25AM

Mark: You have pegged that alternator. I missed that being tunneled vision on his words. It is a 10SI 3 wire alternator improperly wired up.

A one wire does not have the connector just one wire to the battery ore starter solenoid to provide power to change the battery. No warning lamp.

Westpismo: you need to wire it up as a 3 wire alternator and you will get you warning lamp operation. Look in the FAQs for the wiring schematic.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: July 10, 2018 10:51AM

The picture makes it "look" like it is connected properly, depending on "where" the wire you are holding goes! confused smiley

It "should" go to the wire that was on Terminal 4 of the Regulator (looking at the Regulator with the terminals facing you it is the 'right hand terminal'). It was either Brown or Brown with a White strip and goes to the Main Harness connector.

If that wire is grounded the warning lamp should light (with the key ON). The warning lamp gets +12 from the Key Switch and 'sees' ground when the engine is not running or +12 when it is running (thru the Internal Regulator).

I hope this helps!?

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 10, 2018 11:01AM

I'm with Dale.

Yes, the picture does look right. Was there a terminal in the alternator that connected to the terminal/white wire?

If you pull the white wire/terminal out of that plug and ground the white wire, does the idiot light come on? You can also just use a jumper wire with it unplugged instead of trying to get the terminal out of the plastic connector. This test will confirm the wiring from the white wire to the idiot light is correct.

p.s. replace the oil cooler cover.grinning smiley

And the engine shrouding rearmost seal.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 10, 2018 11:05AM

oldqmguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The picture makes it "look" like it is connected
> properly, depending on "where" the wire you are
> holding goes! confused smiley
>
> It "should" go to the wire that was on Terminal 4
> of the Regulator (looking at the Regulator with
> the terminals facing you it is the 'right hand
> terminal'). It was either Brown or Brown with a
> White strip and goes to the Main Harness
> connector.
>
> If that wire is grounded the warning lamp should
> light (with the key ON). The warning lamp gets +12
> from the Key Switch and 'sees' ground when the
> engine is not running or +12 when it is running
> (thru the Internal Regulator).
>
> I hope this helps!?
>
> Dale cool smiley

Thank you Dale. and thanks for actually answering the question.
It helped a lot.
It is the wire you are noting and it now goes directly to the main harness connector (since I am no longer using the external voltage regulator).
I know the wire was grounded when it went through the voltage regulator.
However, and this is my question, is it not grounded now? (because now it is not lighting the gen indicator) and if not (and that would be the problem) any suggestions on how it can be grounded? Thanks so much

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: July 10, 2018 12:35PM

>>. I was wondering if it was not working because the voltage regulator is grounded and now perhaps the connection is not,<<

The Regulator doesn't ground the wire from the light.
The ignition switch puts 12V on one side of the lamp and the voltage regulator puts 12V on the other side of the lamp. 12V on both sides of the lamp means you have 0.0V across the lamp and the lamp goes OUT. When the Alt is NOT charging, the regulator puts 0.0V on one side of the lamp, which means you have 12V across the lamp and it lights.

The 10DN EX Reg Alt and the 10SI & 12SI In Reg Alt systems, all have a resistor in parallel with the lamp. Your '63 DC Gen system does not.

The resistor originally was connected to a Acc terminal on the ign Switch. Place a 10 Ohm, 10Watt resistor in parallel with your lamp and you shoul have it working properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 12:36PM by Richard.

Attachments:

Date: July 10, 2018 11:27PM

Richard, Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.