Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Hi, I'm a new member. Okay so about bellhousings:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2018 01:03PM

When you are done... some of us with Vair engines in Penn. will race you!!! LOL!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 08, 2018 01:18PM

Meant to suggest this earlier... Cheaper and faster...

[3AAAOSw8UtbNT9m&vxp=mtr" rel="nofollow" >www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: Hi, I'm a new member. Want to do a rear mount 4.3 v6 in an EM
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: July 08, 2018 03:19PM

If anyone is on the east coast I have a good running this 4.3 out of an El Camino. Runs great.

forsale

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 05:43PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Charlie Kelly ()
Date: July 08, 2018 06:46PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meant to suggest this earlier... Cheaper and
> faster...
>
> [www.ebay.com]
> r-to-4-3-Chevy-V6-SBC-091-transaxle-transmission/1
> 83295962748?hash=item2aad4a6e7c:gconfused smiley3AAAOSw8UtbNT9m
> &vxp=mtr
>
> [i.ebayimg.com]-
> l1600.jpg
>
>
> [www.ebay.com]
> on-ABD-091-1-Manual-4-speed-Transaxle-Transmission
> /362371830513?hash=item545f0b52f1:g:d4AAAOSwhtlbN-
> zL&vxp=mtr
>
> [i.ebayimg.com]-
> l1600.jpg

That requires a VW transaxle?

I was thinking of cutting the face off a Chevy bellhousing and having a machine shop weld it to a Corvair bellhousing so i can reuse the starter too.

Date: July 08, 2018 07:06PM

Charlie Kelly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I was thinking of cutting the face off a Chevy
> bellhousing and having a machine shop weld it to a
> Corvair bellhousing so i can reuse the starter
> too.

==============================================

That would work if the "Bell" doesn't reduce the internal diameter too much....get the dimensions from someone here..

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: July 08, 2018 09:42PM

This is what a V8 rear-engine package looks like. A V6 would look just the same. As shown, the special bell housing attaches to the differential rather than the transmission. If you were to use the right Porsche transaxle you wouldn't have to reverse the engine and SBC to Porsche adapters are readily available.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Date: July 09, 2018 03:46PM

Would I lose anything by going to a Porsche transaxle?

Date: July 09, 2018 03:53PM

Nop... you gain an overdrive!

Date: July 09, 2018 05:26PM

Unfortunately at $3000-$4000 the porsche solution isn't the solution for me.

Date: July 09, 2018 05:54PM

Right... why you use a VW 091 4 speed... 4th is OD... like in the link I provided $500 / free ship

Date: July 09, 2018 05:54PM

Sorry for double posting.

I assume with the dune buggy culture that the vw aftermarket can produce a strong transaxle. I'm going to research that as well but I know for a fact dune buggy part prices go beyond a custom bellhousing.

Thanks again for all of the ideas guys.

Date: July 09, 2018 06:03PM

Why talk Built? VW 091 will take a stocker 4.3 with ease...

Here's my Son's Buggy with 091 and Built 4.3 $900 transaxle with custom gearing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 06:04PM by MattNall.

Attachments:

Date: July 09, 2018 06:19PM

Sweet, if that's the case I might go vw. If it can handle the power i might do some mild porting on the 4.3 as well. I see vw transaxle qre actually pretty cheap too.

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: July 10, 2018 10:38AM

The VOLKSWAGEN 091 "six rib" TRANSAXLE is found on the 1976 - 1979 BUS.

You might want to visit
[www.shoptalkforums.com]
Over at shoptalk, you'll see that they have (THE TRANSAXLE FORUM)
and they have another called (CONVERSION PERVERSIONS forum)
The conversions.. Forum is dedicated to just non VW powered Volkswagen based vehicles and pans etc...

Also go visit
[forums.aussieveedubbers.com]

They, the Australians have a forum over there called (NON VW ENGINE CONVERSIONS)
[forums.aussieveedubbers.com]

The SAMBA site likely won't be nearly as in depth and technical when it comes to matters about the VOLKSWAGEN 091 transaxle and using it with some conversion application. That is not to say that there aren't useful pictoral identification threads on the 091 and others that the modern BAY WINDOW IRS bus used. 1968 marked the intro of the BAY WINDOW BUS
1968 thru 1971 the bus was powered by the type 1 "beetle" engine.
1972 marked the change to TYPE IV engine, VW's last aircooled engine design which was first seen in the 1969 VW 411.
Type IV Volkswagen engines also powered the 1970-1976 Porsche 914 4cylinder models. You could get a 1970 and 1971 Porsche 914 6 cylinder (it had the flat six Porsche 911 engine)
The 1976 Porsche 912 had the type IV Volkswagen engine....it was a one year only as the previous 912 model had been discontinued after the 1969 year model....
Those '65-'69 Porsche 912 cars had the Porsche 4 cylinder of the Porsche 356 series.
ANYWAY, THE 1972-1979 Bay Window BUS featured TYPE IV volkswagen engines.
I have read that all the 1968-1979 Bus transaxles have the same 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear ratios. I also seem to recall that the 1968 transaxle is not desireable at all since VW made some improvements to fix certain issues that appeared during owner travelled miles of the new '68 models during late '67 and 1968 prior to the 1969 model. I am not sure about the gear ratios and I am not sure if the issues that came to VW engineers attention occurred only in the 1968 models and were completely a non-issue by the start of the 1969 models or not. You'll have to research that. Perhaps an aircooled expert like Steve Goodman can shed light on why later models are significantly better in their ability to withstand punishment.
See this on GEAR RATIOS by VIN number
for example what appears as 218 000001 would constitute a (1968) model.
for example what appears as 218 2 000001 would be a (1978) model.
IT APPEARS THAT THE third number from Left denotes the YEAR
[ratwell.com]

you also might want to see
vw.zenseeker.net/Transaxle.htm

you might also wish to GOOGLE: 1976 vw 091 transaxle

I think you probably want to stay exclusively with the 1976-1979 091 six rib
because it is according to most, the strongest VW transaxle.
Weddle Industries claims the 094 from the 1984 and up Vanagon is stronger when using a Weddle Industries manufactured forward facing shift linkeage assembly.
The Vanagon transaxles were previously deemed UNADAPTABLE by nearly all VW folks because of their differences in where the linkeage is.
I don't know if the unique to the VANAGON linkeage is useable as it is found on the Vanagons in the wild for adapting NON VW powerplants to a non VW vehicle application. I just don't know enough on BUS and VANAGON because I have no experience with them.
Ask somebody experienced with working on lots of those Seventies era, BUSSES.
My guess is that even the non 091 models that preceeded the 091.....for example 1975, 1974, etc back to even 1972 when the TYPE IV engine appeared on the BUS.....my guess is that even the 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975 bus transaxles will possibly be acceptable IF YOU DON'T GO TO CRAZY ON THE horsepower & torque with a massively heavy right foot. I would guess that those years BUS transaxles are at least as strong as the best stock IRS bug transaxle......probably a little bit stronger than that, and we all know that the lowly BUG (IRS) trannies of 69-72 and 73-79 are pretty dang strong in bone stock form, capable of at least three times their intended bone stock horsepower. Again, maybe Matt or Steve or somebody can accurately state and maybe also display some side by side pictures of the internal parts, casing, webbing etc that shows them physically larger and beefier-stouter than the 69-79 bug IRS transaxles.
Judging by what engines some folks have run in their BAY buses on those "conversion" forum threads, they likely can withstand some punishment.
The 1976-1979 091 six rib is claimed to be the best of the bunch.
You're probably gonna have to select or tailor your engine such that it does fine within the confines of the gear ratios of a stock 091.
You probably can change them too but without knowing what gearing is most beneficial to such a swap that you're considering, it will require some research on your part because you don't want to go the wrong way (lessen durability) in an effort to get different ratios. My opinion is that if it isn't possible to get a near match.....stock ratios for instance with whatever powerplant you choose to go with, then perhaps it might be time to consider going a different route and choosing something other than a VW transaxle as there are plenty of potential Asian and a few domestic FWD drivetrains that are reliable, durable, and physically small enough that the entire package can be grafted in the rear. IT WILL BE A COLLOSAL AMOUNT OF WORK. IT WILL REQUIRE SKILLS THAT YOU WILL LEARN ON THIS PARTICULAR PROJECT! BE ADVISED THAT IT WILL REQUIRE PROBLEM SOLVING THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE YET. Such a project will take at a minimum, three times longer and three times the cost than you expect it to take.
Truthfully assess your ability to undertake such a unique project.
Perhaps save your money and then buy a nice new car.
Either way, have fun.
You just don't want to end up with some Franken-car that isn't road worthy due to the weakest link, fabricated/adapted components not doing their job. An aborted project or just one that turns out to be unreliable is not gonna be much fun. If teams of engineers at major auto manufacturers are capable of occasionally bringing to the marketplace an unreliable/problematic new car, well, then you've gotta believe there is as much as a 10% chance that any such unique build without a previous roadmap to follow, may turn out somewhat problematic.

Date: July 10, 2018 05:49PM

One thing I'm hesitant about with the vw transaxle is that I have no fabrication skills or equipment which is why I've been set on retaining the stock tranasxle. I wouldn't know how to mount a vw transaxle to a corvair subframe until I had both out and on the ground but that requires a money investment in itself.

I'm still keeping the 091 option on the table. If I go to the automotive school like I want then I can get a lot of free welding work done.
Thanks for the links though I'm going to read through all that info and I think you hit the nail on the head. I want a driver car, something that is reliable and if my lack of fabrication skills will cause problems then I'll have to go another way.

Date: July 10, 2018 06:08PM

We appreciate you being straightforward with us!

I'd pursue the cut the two bellhousings idea... if successful... you may have a "sideline " business... several, if not many are looking for that as well

Date: July 11, 2018 06:29PM

Well you know, ideas are free and as far as i'm concerned getting an engine in the back will be the easiest part. I think fabricating a cooling system will be the time and money sink of this project.

Date: July 11, 2018 07:07PM

Cooling system UP front is a no brainer....As simple as cutting louvers at the front half of the wheel wells to get airflow all the way to constructing a duct with the radiator in it...which can exit out the bottom or Top of hood!

Cooling in the rear takes work! to work!! but it's been done!

The thing to remember is the rear underside is a high pressure zone...so air enters there and exitsin front [ bellhousing] of the engine.

Date: July 11, 2018 09:00PM

You mean to say that if i cut out the spare tire shelf air would get pulled down through the engine bay and out onto the ground? That might be feasible since the louvers on the "hood" allow air in.
I never learned much about aeordynamics besides that bricks walls obviously perform bad at high speeds.
I've seen threads about rear mount radiators and that would be convenient but it seems like it would perform poorly if it has to keep flowing hot air coming off the engine.

Date: July 11, 2018 09:24PM

Go back and re-read my post... Under the rear of the car is HIGH pressure....so a fan will have to push it... AND SADLY,

The area behind the rear window is LOW pressure.... Normally the Vair engine's fan PULLS the air in...

But you have an idea... make it work!!

I just do not understand the unwillingness of EM builders to put the radiator up front. so easy and it works!

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.