Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Electrical confusion
Posted by: whitey ()
Date: July 07, 2018 03:25PM

When I first got the car it was in a barn for decades. Everything was completely frozen etc.

I took the powertrain out and proceeded to break it down to nuts and bolts. I was completely new to corvairs and even to working on any cars. I think I probably broke the nose by my own stupidity. Didn't even notice until I was reading the forum one night and read something about being careful about the nose. Looked at my started and said "oh, I see what they mean. it's broken."
That's why I got a new starter.

The engine has run a few times since I put it back together again. Probably four times for 5 minutes each. New starter seemed to be fine. Even when I was doing a compression test this week it didn't seem to be having any problems. Oh course until it went wrong. Didn't break the nose though.

It's an automatic. When I turn the harmonic balancer with a wrench, the ring gear on the torque converter turns. Right? Any other way I can check?

Gotta go now. Will check emails tomorrow.

Ken W. - Winnipeg, Manitoba
64 Monza 927

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 07, 2018 03:29PM

Nope... that's the easiest way unless you have a remote starter button / harness

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: July 07, 2018 04:04PM

No doubt when you were reading back through posts about being careful to not break the nose during assemble/disassemble steps, they were referring to the nose on a manual transmission differential.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 07, 2018 08:10PM

How do you break a nose on assembly or disassembly?

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 07, 2018 08:25PM

Only way to check the ring gear is to rotate the engine using a wrench a little at a time and inspect the ring gear through the large air intake hole in the right side of the bellhousing. Look for broken teeth or broken welds holding the ring gear to the torque convertor. Now that I know it is an automatic I can tell you that starter nose breaks from ring gear issues are less common than with a stick shift car. It is possible it was broken from someone trying to crank the engine with the engine frozen or nearly frozen. That can certainly break a starter nose. You should inspect the ring gear all the way around to be sure. Any significant tooth damage very well could cause another starter failure. Mark the ring gear with something (a dab of whit paint perhaps). Then rotate the engine CCW with a 3/4" wrench on the crank pulley nut a little bit and look at teeth on the ring gear. I like to turn and mark and turn and mark again so I am sure I have looked at all the teeth. If you can not see the mark after you turn the crank then you turned too far yes? I keep turning and marking until my initial mark comes around. If I saw no bad tooth damage or missing teeth I would re-install the starter and press on. If I did see bad damage or for sure any missing teeth or broken welds I would replace the torque convertor ring gear assembly with a good used or rebuilt unit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 08, 2018 11:43AM

Starter has been reinstalled. All the connections were made without any major spark etc.
After a little bit of effort it fired up and ran. Quite rough and it won't idle, but at least it runs again.

So I guess next is to see if I can smooth it out through carb adjustment, timing etc.

Thanks for everyone's help.

64 Monza 927

Date: July 08, 2018 12:50PM

Way to go!!

Note: timing has little to do with smoothness..

Please look in our STICKY FAQ's under Engine.... simple directions are there...

Print them out and take with you to garage!

Also, how about some recent pics of the car in your sigline!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 08, 2018 02:48PM

Thanks Matt,
Sig updated with before and after engine pics.

Brief history of my work so far:

Engine disassemble clean and re-assemble with new parts:
- pistons
- rings
- rods
- cylinders
- bearings

New distributer cap, rotor, coil, battery, spark plus and wires

Disassemble clean and re-assemble with new soft parts:
- Front suspension
- Rear suspension

New gas tank, gas lines and electric fuel pump

Rebuild master cylinder, wheel cylinders, new brake lines, brake pads and springs etc.

Disassemble clean and re-assemble powerglide with miscellaneous new parts required.

Rebuilt starter and new solenoid

Rebuild generator

Disassemble clean and re-assemble differential.

Cut out, fabricate and weld in 3/4 of the floor panels.

Only taken me 9 years so far!!

64 Monza 927

Date: July 08, 2018 04:39PM

Almostthere!! Congrats!

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 08, 2018 04:45PM

Nice I hope the starter stays together now!! If it growls or binds check out that ring gear!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.