Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Update on My EV Wagon Project
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 28, 2018 09:38PM

Over the years I have been following the progress of an EV and all it's documented changes (improvements) along with the mileage records.
The owner happens to be an engineer and has been very helpful over the years.

Starting with this...

The only way for me to ever see this project completed any time soon is as follows. By K.I.S.S...

Rear engine Porsche Trans that can handle the torque of a Wrap 9.

Four wheel disc brakes.

LM front suspension.

Custom rear suspension. Maybe even LM trailing arms; if they will even fit and work.

More than likely 8 to 10 Tesla Battery packs. (Unless I find better batteries, that will also fit better in the space.)

Low rolling resistance tires

Aluminum 15 or 16 rims.

Complete interior and glass also needed...

Weigh in at a Max of 3,000lbs with a goal of less than 2,500lbs.

Estimated cost L=22k H=30k

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 09:45PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Update on My EV Wagon Project
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: June 29, 2018 05:37AM

Wow, ambitious project. Will be following.thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 29, 2018 07:20AM

Keep us posted!thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: June 29, 2018 07:24AM

Tony, looks like a fun project. If you really want to Keep It Simple why are you going to all the work to create a completely new rear suspension? A Corvair PowerGlide and EM differential will easily handle the 100 ft. lbs. torque of the Warp 9 electric motor. With the Porsche tran$axle both first and fifth gear will be unusable with an electric motor.

Electric Motors tend to be most efficient at top speed (5800 for the Warp 9) so a manual valve body on the PG so you could keep it in low most of the time would work great. Are you planning on running the motor on 144v.?

Many ways to the top of the mountain, these are just some suggestions to think about. Just the wiring and control systems for an electric conversion are complex and time consuming enough, keep the rest simple is and excellent idea.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 29, 2018 07:28AM

Will this be the "tow'd" behind your UltraVan? How is it coming along?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 29, 2018 08:20AM

My Reply is within your post below

tkalp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Tony, looks like a fun project. If you really want to Keep It Simple why are you going to all the work to create a completely new rear suspension?

I don't want all the weight of the EM Corvair rear rear frame and suspension.

A Corvair PowerGlide and EM differential will easily handle the 100 ft. lbs. torque of the Warp 9 electric motor. With the Porsche tran$axle both first and fifth gear will be unusable with an electric motor.

#1 Weight.. The Corvair PG and Diff weigh more. #2 I can gain more mileage with a manual.

EVWEST has a good deal ($1,999 with a core and $2,375 without a core) for a Remanufactured manual VW/Porsche Transmission with only 2 forward gears. Much cheaper than I could buy and rebuild the Corvair stuff. PLUS it weighs less.
Not to mention by using 930 CV joints I can shift or relocate the trans (if needed) in the engine compartment and still have no real issues with how the half-shafts (are balanced) or rotate.

Link for more info about this transmission.
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=464

Electric Motors tend to be most efficient at top speed (5800 for the Warp 9) so a manual valve body on the PG so you could keep it in low most of the time would work great. Are you planning on running the motor on 144v.?

Manual will provide better overall mileage. As for running 144v. I am taking my Queues and advice from Wayne and his EV Corvette. He has been helping me. MY goal is 100+ miles per charge.

Many ways to the top of the mountain, these are just some suggestions to think about. Just the wiring and control systems for an electric conversion are complex and time consuming enough, keep the rest simple is and excellent idea.

The thought of the wiring scares me! I know my limitations and I will need help with the wiring.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS

For anyone interested in Electric Vehicle Projects. I highly recommend that you read this entire thread with all the changes and testing over the years. He has put lots of miles on this EV daily driver. NOTE: FOr some time now had has been getting 150+ miles per charge and is now working towards 200 miles per charge by changing the motors from 2 Wrap 11 DC to 2 AC motors with regen.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2857006-mo-s-electric-corvette-lot-of-pictures.html

Date: June 29, 2018 08:23AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will this be the "tow'd" behind your UltraVan?
> How is it coming along?

Our hope it to be able to use it as our RV Toad behind the bigger engine UVs. That is another reason for going with a Manual vs the PG.

Date: June 29, 2018 09:53AM

My hope is to be able to install rear trailing arms like these with disc brakes and coil-overs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.