Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM Coupe Rear Window Opening
Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: June 28, 2018 06:59PM

I've got the back glass out of the '63 to fix a water leak in bottom corner. Before I go back with everything, thought I'd scotchbrite and paint all the area that will be covered up when the window and trim are back in place with a rust preventative primer.
Any suggestions on a product that would work well that would be readily available?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 07:05PM by MonzaJPD61.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM Coupe Rear Window Opening
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 28, 2018 07:31PM

Any good rust preventing primer, but, you should paint over that before installing the glass. Nice gloss auto paint is more water resistant than any primer. POR15 primer followed wet on wet with paint would be a good choice

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 28, 2018 07:52PM

Hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but it seems that every EM coupe that has had the rear glass out, has a leak in the same place. I had installed my own glass, and it leaked. I then took it to a professional glass company and they installed it, and it leaked. Went back, and they gave me a refund, in place of taking it out again. I spoke to Cal Clark about this, and his answer was to pack as much caulking under the rubber as you possibly can, where it seals to the body on the inside. Having taken more than one out, I can attest to the fact that this is what GM did when the cars were new. They had pressurized caulking guns that pumped out a white compound. Even then, it was no guaranty of a leak free glass install from the factory.
What I intend to do, is to carefully tape up the paint on the outside, and also on the inside where the rubber gasket edge ends. Then I will remove the glass, and clean the opening in preparation of reinstalling the glass. Next, I will put a thin layer of butyl into the opening where the glass goes into the rubber prior to installation of the glass. The last thing is to put the glass into the body using the string method. Once the glass is back into the opening, I am going to try to get as much sealant (butyl) under the rubber from the inside (that is why I taped it in advance). I am hoping that will stop the leaks. Also, remember when you put the stainless steel trim back on, to caulk the T clip where it goes through the body, and uses a nut to hold the clip in place. I am guessing that I will use at least 2 if not 3 tubes of butyl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 28, 2018 08:45PM

I noticed that the lower pinchweld from about the quarter panel seam on top of the trunk to the rear window opening corner is poorly shaped and not tall enough in places on the side that leaks. It doesn't engage in the window gasket groove well at all. The only way to fix it right would be to do some serious metalwork and welding in that area to re-contour and re-establish the necessary consistent pinchweld height

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: June 29, 2018 05:34AM

MonzaJPD61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed that the lower pinchweld from about the
> quarter panel seam on top of the trunk to the rear
> window opening corner is poorly shaped and not
> tall enough in places on the side that leaks. It
> doesn't engage in the window gasket groove well at
> all...…..

After reading all this all I can say is PUTTY IS MY BUDDY!

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 29, 2018 01:23PM

You also want to make sure that there are not gaps at all in the pinch welded flange. Any gap between the inner and outer flanges is very likely to leak. Seal these with a good auto body seam sealer before painting and glass install.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 30, 2018 12:02PM

Are there supposed to be drain holes in the lower corners of the rear window opening? I'm not finding any.

Date: July 09, 2018 01:56PM

No holes, because if there were, it would leak into the interior of the car, kinda sorta like it already does......grinning smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: July 09, 2018 05:00PM

Water that drips past the outer rear quarter window fuzzies on a coupe, where does it go?

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: July 09, 2018 05:10PM

MonzaJPD61 Wrote:
> Water that drips past the outer rear quarter
> window fuzzies on a coupe, where does it go?

Probably to a clogged drain hole?

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Date: July 09, 2018 07:57PM

To the large quarter panel drain on each side of car ~6" forward of front of rear wheel opening. They have the rubber flap on them.

Date: July 10, 2018 05:21AM

MonzaJPD61 Wrote:
> To the large quarter panel drain on each side of
> car ~6" forward of front of rear wheel opening.
> They have the rubber flap on them.

By now, most of them have the rubber flap missing. On my 1964, I didn't even find a remnant of the flap. I wonder if that might be one to have Clarks reproduce? Anyone have a good one? thanks

Date: July 10, 2018 01:59PM

Clark's catalog claims the C856 rocker flap for LM "will work" for EM, but I've not compared them to those on my 63.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.