Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LM convertible interior questions
Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: June 28, 2018 10:01AM

Hi everyone, a couple of questions on some discoveries while taking my interior apart ---

1. There are holes (2 per side) in the floor where the rear bench seat goes -- any idea why these are there, and should they be plugged? If should be plugged, suggestions on what to use to plug them?

2. There is a small strangely-shaped piece of thin sheet metal at the top of my rear arm rest panels, held on by a screw. Is this "normal" and does it look somewhat correct?

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM convertible interior questions
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: June 28, 2018 10:06AM

Hello Ed,
Yes, the armrest area of your convertible looks factory original. Also, the holes in the floor are filled with rubber plugs. I believe that Clark's sells them.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: vairjunkie ()
Date: June 28, 2018 10:07AM

The holes in the floor are drain holes? and they originally had rubber plugs but it seems yours are missing.

Yes, the strange shaped area of the upper rear arm rest/top mechanism cover looks normal.

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: June 28, 2018 10:30AM

Those are factory drain holes that have plugs. At the factory the bodies were dipped in solvents/acids prior to painting and the holes allowed the chemicals to drain. You will find similar holes in the front floor pans and in the trunk.

That armrest area looks normal. Keep in mind that the top boot would be covering this area so GM was probably okay with it looking a little less "finished". If you remove the armrest cover you will also see a little gutter that collects water and a rubber flap to drain it.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: June 28, 2018 07:35PM

Was a top boot standard equipment on a convertible?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: June 30, 2018 10:10AM

Kevin: I don't know if a top boot was standard equipment, I would assume not...

Anyways, I now have the carpet and padding removed as well as all the mouse houses.

Questions:

- 3 of my bucket seat bolts are threaded up from under the floor, and then were held on by a nut. Is it any concern to leave as is, or should replace to go top-down like the others? I don't want to go through too much trouble with this --

- Other than vacuum and clean the floor, any other must-do prep before putting new carpet in? I dont particular like por-15, and I don't want to go through too much trouble with this step either.

Do I sound like i'm getting tired of finding things? I am enjoying this, really I am!

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Attachments:
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 30, 2018 10:26AM

Did you pull the vent grills and doors to clean the crap out????

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: June 30, 2018 11:11AM

the doors were completely off for patch panel work and paint- so those are cleaned out ok.

Surprisingly, I didnt find anything behind the kickpanels/vent grills.

Is it worth the effort to brush on any por-15? I was more worried about the mess por-15 might make and getting it on something it shouldnt be on. I was thinking maybe I would pick up a tube or two of some seam sealer and just put some of that down on some of the seams? --

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 30, 2018 11:18AM

The problem with POR is that it may only stick well the rusted areas and peel from the rest. I would probably clean up the rust then use some Rustoleum rust converter, prime and paint. Others will disagree.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: June 30, 2018 11:37AM

Although your floors are solid, the surface rust should be cleaned off before any type of painting. , scrape, wire brush clean or it will continue to spread and then you will be replacing floor pans. A cheap Harbor freight 4 1/2 grinder with a wire cup wheel or flat wire brush will remove it quickly. Safety glasses a must while doing that . Normal application of POR 15 is with a brush so its not likely you'll get any on your exterior paint. As stated above Por 15 doesn't like shiney paint but if you ruff it up with the wire wheel it will stick. Rustolium also has some good rust covering paints that are cheaper but you still need to clean up the rust problem first.

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: June 30, 2018 01:32PM

My Corsa had a top boot that I just "assumed" was standard. It was definitely factory, but I never thought to dig into whether it was standard or an option.
Actually looked pretty nice when snapped closed.

Glad they put those drain plugs in too.
When I bought mine it was less than six years old, had a ripped rear window and literally a swamp under the back seat!
I can still remember the muck that used to be seat padding and materials clinging to the frame.
Luckily none of the black vinyl showed worse for the wear, so the seat stayed that way and nobody was the wiser but me.
Filled the entire area under the back seat and even inside the doors with hime fiberglass insulation. Just made sure to never let that much water back inside the car after that.

Paul

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: June 30, 2018 03:10PM

For the floors, I would recommend a aggressive wire brushing then a couple coats of Eastwood rust encapsulator. I buy the quarts and brush in. Unless you're willing to strip all the coatings off and treat with phosphoric acid first, POR-15 is not a good solution.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: June 30, 2018 03:29PM

In the corner, behind the pinch weld there is another hole on convertibles.
It takes a Clark's C399 rubber.

Attachments:

Date: June 30, 2018 06:39PM

Thanks - I just added those drain plugs to my clarks shopping cart.

What do you all use for sound proofing behind the back seat in verts, if anything?

Mine had one layer of generic carpet padding back there, that i removed.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: July 01, 2018 02:46PM

If I was doing it all over again, I'd spray Lizard Skin on the whole interior. So much noise is passed through that area, including the side panels, rear upper and lower areas, that anything you can do to lower it's transmission/reflection/whatever-ion would be a step in the right direction.

Paul

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: July 01, 2018 08:09PM

Bogey72
- 3 of my bucket seat bolts are threaded up from under the floor, and then were held on by a nut. Is it any concern to leave as is, or should replace to go top-down like the others? I don't want to go through too much trouble with this --

All my LMs are the same way. I leave them as is (unless obviously rotted, which yours are not).

The studs help you align the seats. You would have a difficult time trying to start bolts through the carpeting.
BTDT.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: July 02, 2018 05:52AM

POR-15 will not stick to any existing paint. I would use Rustbullet instead. It offers the same protection but will also stick to your existing factory primer. Also, if you're thinking about adding rear seat belts, now is a great time to do it.

1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Date: July 02, 2018 06:16AM

I was considering rear seat belts, but have not researched that yet. Is that easy to do?

I was looking at front seat belts from Clark's (I want white belts), but they were all on back-order, and no estimate on when they will get some in.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Date: July 02, 2018 06:40AM

Google Seatbelt Planet in Oklahoma. I got rear belts from them. I'm sure they have fronts too. I don't know if factory belts were white, but I would guess they would look pretty dirty after a while.

The rear belts are pretty easy, but you do have to drill 4 holes in the car so if you are stickler for originality it's not reversible. They were available as a factory accessory. There's plenty of information on this site about them.

1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Date: July 11, 2018 10:13AM

Happy to announce I have my floor cleaned up and repainted.

These drain plugs, which way is "up"? the side with the hole or the flat side up?

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Attachments:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.