Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Getting ready to do clutch replace on 66 corsa.
Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 09:43PM

Hi.Going to do clutch replacement on 66 corsa.I did one several years ago on my 65 corsa,the big difference is the 66 is turbo and the 65 just had 4 carbs on a 140 engine.Will I be able to drop rear of engine down and slide it back when I separate trans from engine or would it be better to lower the coplete drivetrain?It's been a while so I would appreciate any suggestions.Thanks steve

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting ready to do clutch replace on 66 corsa.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 13, 2018 09:52PM

Been awhile.... lower the whole powerpack

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Aaron65 ()
Date: June 14, 2018 03:32AM

Definitely lower the entire powerpack.

1965 Corvair Monza Convertible 95 4-sp.
1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: June 14, 2018 03:36AM

Check the page this message on. In the upper right hand corner it will say you have a PM for personal message.

Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: June 14, 2018 04:36AM

It will come out either way and I would suggest removing the entire powerpak also. When I removed mine, engine first, I had the front and rear on jackstands. After lowering the engine I let the frontend back down to the floor then raised the back another 4 - 5" or so to clear the turbo. I was using a Harbor Freight jack. When putting back in the transaxle was put in first then the engine. The tilt adjustments on the jack would not work and I had to use wood blocks to get the angle right. There was no way my jack adjustments were going to work when lifting the entire powerpak. I hope you have a good jack. I am now shopping for another!

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 14, 2018 07:26AM

Can be done either way. If the transaxil is left in, it will have to be held at the downward angle with some kind of bottle jack and wood blocks. Also have to be careful that the input shaft does not press down on the throwout bearing slide snout and break it. How many of those have we seen?eye rolling smiley

If one has minimal jacks and tools... removing the complete uni-pack as suggested above is probably the better way to go.

If one has a lift, like the EZ Car Lift or other, the project will be much safer and much easier.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: June 14, 2018 07:37AM

It is too easy to damage the input shaft or the clutch if you try to pull just half the power-pack. Drop it all as a unit and then do your work on the floor or a rolling cart (or leave it on the jack). Get help unless you have an overhead crane to support the trans/diff when you separate it from the engine. It's that bending that does the damage. Replace the T/O bearing, pilot bearing and the entire clutch, turn the flywheel. On LM be sure the shop turns the step the exact amount they turn the flat flywheel face. EM are all flat so turn it all.

The entire park will come out on a transmission floor jack. Just put it in the center between the engine and trans/axel so it is balanced. Expect some excitement as you lower it, they can shift. It needs about 24" in the rear to roll it all out so be sure it's jacked up that far. It was a good tip to start with the front jacked up so it can come out level.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: June 14, 2018 10:07AM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can be done either way. If the transaxil is left
> in, it will have to be held at the downward angle
> with some kind of bottle jack and wood blocks.
>
> Corventure Dave

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave, you need to qualify that statement!

On a late you will have to hold the diff down with a block on top of the diff and small bottle jack.

On an early you will have to pull the axles and then hold the diff up after you get to the angle you want.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 14, 2018 10:35AM

I recommend removing the entire power pack as well. I've done it a lot lately. angry smiley But hopefully no more for a while.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 14, 2018 06:33PM

Just a note to the above, 1964 might be an early, but has the stepped flywheel, as they also have the 164 cubic inch engines!

I suggest dropping the whole drivetrain, as I used to just drop the engine on lates, but the input shaft always hangs up, and now one would want to change the little strut rod bushings anyway... I am speaking of the little rods with the shock absorber style bushings. And most people forget to disconnect the shifter coupler, so they bend that on engine only removals.....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: June 14, 2018 09:16PM

Than you everyone for the advice.Luckily this time I have a very good friend wit a garage and a lift.Last time I was by myself on the floor and just pulled the engine I have never pulled the whole power pack before.I bought a clutch kit from clarks is there a thing else I need to get?.Thanks for the help you all are great!

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: June 14, 2018 09:24PM

Check all parts ..all you can do....see something you don't like..ask here..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 15, 2018 07:07AM

Never miss an opportunity to change a pilot bushing in a Corvair.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: June 15, 2018 07:59AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> Never miss an opportunity to change a pilot
> bushing in a Corvair.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hmmm, I'd check the clearance, and if OK, re-oil the bushing and move on.
I've seen more than one new one not fit after being pressed in place. (fit on end of shaft before, then apparently was compressed to become out of spec when installed)
I've seen improper materials sold (not oiled bronze)
No need to replace without "just cause" is my opinion.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: June 15, 2018 05:54PM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
> jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Never miss an opportunity to change a pilot
> > bushing in a Corvair.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>
> Hmmm, I'd check the clearance, and if OK, re-oil
> the bushing and move on.
> I've seen more than one new one not fit after
> being pressed in place. (fit on end of shaft
> before, then apparently was compressed to become
> out of spec when installed)
> I've seen improper materials sold (not oiled
> bronze)
> No need to replace without "just cause" is my
> opinion.

Dan, it may be a personal thing with me. The very first major thing the went wrong with my Vair was the pilot bushing. It was beyond squealing and now shaking the entire car. I was more than 1000 miles from home for work and it was about to drive home. This 1969 and the car was still relatively low miles. I went to the biggest Chevy dealer in Waterloo Iowa and talked to their Vair mechanic. I didn't even finish my sentence and he said pilot bushing. What those last almost forever, how many go in Corvairs. Quick reply "TOO MANY". He told me how to remove it and install the new one with the shaft you are use , not the driver tool. Also get a disk and throw out while your in there, which I did. The disc, throw out and flywheel were all still good, just the stupid cheap little bushing was bad. Several months before that my brother experienced the loose rivets on the flywheel with his 63. Again another Chevy mech, back home, said change the pilot while your in there, there cheap. Fast forward some years later my flywheel started to rattle. I was already starting to hear the squeal again. So it got another new bushing. Well that disc made less than 30K until it couldn't handle the boost. Sure enough the pilot was loose again, this time it got a rebuilt PP, new disc , new throw out, bolted flywheel a new pilot plus balancing. For me, not changing one that has any amount of miles on it is close to Russian Roulette. Even when they are tight, oil light bushings go bad and lube clogs the pours. Over the years I have met other guys with the same issue.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: June 15, 2018 06:30PM

I guess I should add, unlike almost any other car in the world, the Corvair input shaft is also a large and long torsion spring. Who knows what kind of loads hit the shaft and bushing when you flat shift a Turbo or any other hot Vair.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: June 16, 2018 09:16PM

I have all the parts or should have them in the kit.I don't want to do this again so you can bet I am going to replace everything.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 17, 2018 05:27AM

2X What 1966-Corsa-GT-180 said. If it fits it ships.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: capnqball ()
Date: June 18, 2018 09:08PM

Speaking of pilot bushings and shafts, what's considered too much slop between the two. I just checked both as I'm about to reinstall the diff/trans onto the bell housing. PB diameter is .592 and shaft measures .585. The PB is new.

Ron in NW Oregon
1966 Monza vert, 180 turbo

Ron in NW Oregon
'66 Monza Vert 4 spd 180 Turbo

Date: June 18, 2018 09:09PM

As long as it doesn't wiggle!

Porous Bronze only... Lube with motor oil... squeeze between Thumb and index finger... until oil comes out pores...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 09:11PM by MattNall.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.