Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Hi all , Just re entering the world of Corvair
Posted by: 66140back ()
Date: June 13, 2018 03:49PM

Dateline 1986 , I purchased a 1966 Corsa coup 140HP, Being a student in a trade school mechanics course, I decided this was going to be my course project. Jump ahead to 1987, Project under way , but money was short and I wasn't quite done school yet. Sold my Beloved Corsa to an older Gentleman looking to start a car museum.

Dateline today: Got an email from the wife of the person I sold my old Corsa to ( must have been a chore to find an email addy for me because I have probably had 100 email addresses since the 90's) , Her husband had tragically passed away a few years after buying my car and the museum had never come to fruition , so it had sat since 1987, she asked if I wanted it back , so I asked her how much, she told me $50 (Canadian pesos yet) I go this Saturday on a 1200 KM round trip to trailer my old girl back to my current home!!! The one car I had the biggest regrets selling is coming back to me !!!!!!

now after sitting 31 years (indoors ) I am going to do a ground up resto on her , so I will be here to garner advice , and tips on where to find things like engine rebuild kits , missing trim pieces and interior upholstery kits.

My Name is Mike , I am from Western Canada and am pleased to meet you all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 03:50PM by 66140back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi all , Just re entering the world of Corvair
Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 13, 2018 03:53PM

Welcome! Been a few "found my old car" threads lately, very cool! We'll be here to answer questions.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 13, 2018 03:54PM

Welcome back! Neat story and impressive she found you. I suggest hang on to it this time. Most of us don't get second chances to right our regrets. Oh and we like pics.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 13, 2018 03:57PM

Pictures pictures pictures!

Great find and story!thumbs up

Welcome aboard.smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: June 13, 2018 04:11PM

LOL Pics to follow after Saturday when I get back from my rounder to pic her up , goes to a friends shop for paint and body estimate on Monday. Timothy, I know it believe me , I know it , now if I could find another 72 Torino GT fastback 390, I would be an even Happier camper, that was my first car , but chances around here are slim to none , because they were generally sold to 16 year old butt heads like I was and drove the heck out of them lol. I am beyond excited to get my ACTUAL old project back to finish up, I will also post a thread to chronicle the restoration once its decided upon when it will commence ( very soon )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 04:12PM by 66140back.

Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: June 13, 2018 04:11PM

Congrats! and welcome to the forum....

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: June 13, 2018 04:19PM

Welcome Mike! Where in western Canadia are you? I am in Edmonton.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Date: June 13, 2018 04:30PM

2 hours south of you gregb

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: June 13, 2018 06:11PM

By the way, “welcome back”. We love restoration threads!

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 13, 2018 06:26PM

Terrific, glad you scored. Every time I here one of these stories I'm glad I never left mine go. My wife is glad I keep things forever, but she's a keeper too.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: June 13, 2018 07:07PM

I am restoring a 1965 Corsa 140 convertible body number 19 built in Aug of 64. Will sent you some articles and pictures if you send me your email address. Mine is !arkdustan@cs.com

I will stand on my roof and wave as I am in Portland Oregon. Worked for a Calgary company four a while. Built a Log Cabin from 100 mile house.

My first new car was a 1972 Gran Torino traded it in in 1980. Received a Facebook friend request from a gal in France....no way I would fall in that trap🤣
A month later I received a letter from France “ we have your 1972 Gran Torino”. Your warranty info was in the glove box. I never throw anything away including 5he cancelled check used to buy the can and the original sales brochure...I sent her a large packet of goodies.

Good luck on your Corvair. A group of Corvair owners were just at Harrison Hot Springs for a econorun.
Mark Dustan
Corsa Oregon board member

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: June 13, 2018 07:17PM

2 hours south, somewhere around Red Deer? I was at the Harrison Hot springs Econo Run and it was fantastic! We had a great time.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 13, 2018 11:18PM

Welcome to the BEST Corvair forum on the web!
You also need to hook up with > > > Western Canada CORSA < < <!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: June 14, 2018 03:55AM

66140back Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL Pics to follow after Saturday when I get back
> from my rounder to pic her up , goes to a friends
> shop for paint and body estimate on Monday.
> Timothy, I know it believe me , I know it , now if
> I could find another 72 Torino GT fastback 390, I
> would be an even Happier camper, that was my first
> car , but chances around here are slim to none ,
> because they were generally sold to 16 year old
> butt heads like I was and drove the heck out of
> them lol. I am beyond excited to get my ACTUAL old
> project back to finish up, I will also post a
> thread to chronicle the restoration once its
> decided upon when it will commence ( very soon )

Time my friend, time! Its what many of us here on this site are running out of and everyday we cherish it more. With that in mind, the trip to the body shop for paint and body work estimate will most likely be in vain. You are a long way from needing those things. It only takes a few months to get a car into the body shop for work. There isn't any good way to determine the extent of work needed from the outside unless you are willing to accept a "not to exceed" number.

A "frame off" rebuild should be done with you in the drivers seat, (not in the actual car seat but the administrative seat". Plan on a couple of years to do it right and don't forget about the cubic dollars required! Your first month or so should be devoted to planning. You must be patient and very careful because once you start a complete resto project, devotion to your plan will be the hardest part, let alone the $$$. Good luck and may the force of the corvair gods be with you!

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: June 14, 2018 04:58AM

Welcome Mike,

Before jumping in to a full engine rebuild, I would recommend doing some investigation first.

1, inspect fuel tank and lines, drain/clean replace as necessary
2, inspect battery charge/replace as necessary
3, inspect/replace spark plugs as necessary
4, drain oil replace filter, refill with fresh oil
5, perform compression check, report results here

All these suggestions assume that the engine is not frozen from sitting all these years. Before attempting any of these steps try turning the engine over by hand, place the transmission in neutral, using a 3/4" socket on the crank pulley bolt try to rotate the engine, if it does not want to rotate remove the spark plugs and spray some penetrating oil into each cylinder and let it soak over night and try again the next day, you may need to repeat this step a few times, if it still doesn't want to turn over, it will be time to get deeper into the engine.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

BTW, all engine, interior and upholstery items you may need are available from Clarks Corvair parts, listed on the upper left side of this page. Unfortunately for you they are based in the USA, I'm unaware of a supplier in the Great White North.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: June 14, 2018 05:45AM

Regarding parts sources, I would also point out another one of our sponsors, California Corvair Parts. I buy from both of them, and they each have their own strengths.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.