Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
OT: Charity And Business-How Do You Decide When To Donate-When To Charge?
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: June 13, 2018 08:29AM

I'm Jewish, and I'm very friendly with the local Chabad rabbi. I donate regularly and generously to his institution, and I also offer to repair his vehicles when they break down. He drives a lot for work, and being young and energetic he's hard on a vehicle. So before I go any further, this is all my idea to offer my expertise, Recently a brake caliper seized on his 2008 Honda CRV that he drives 25k year. So being is I was on one of my road trips, I walked him through removing the wheel and releasing the jammed pads from the rotor, and putting a vice grip on the brake hose so he could drive to his first day on a new job. Keep in mind that this is all my idea. he works hard for the funds that he raises, but I just feel as if I charge them for my time, which could easily be $3-$400 for yesterday's five hours of work, I also changed the engine oil, which was 2,000 miles overdue, and transmission oil, which was black, even though I changed it 2 years ago. So my dilemma is am I being a fool for being generous to a necessary (for me) institution? I regularly attend his Services which always end with a spectacular meal, and often times my girlfriend and I and maybe one or two other regulars who also donate, are there. Otherwise he's basically entertaining us.

In the spirit of this being a Corvair Forum, a couple years ago I put a high-performance 140 in a friend's Monza convertible, and the Rabbi did drive it up and down the street. I do have some photographs here somewhere.

Attachments:
Re: OT: Charity And Business-How Do You Decide When To Donate-When To Charge?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 08:40AM

I think it's a great way to support something. If you're in the position to deduct your donations for taxes you could charge then just donate what he pays but then you'd need to claim the income so guess it doesn't matter.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 13, 2018 08:43AM

Paying it forward based on faith is extremely rewarding...keep it up Andrew.

Date: June 13, 2018 08:44AM

I'd ask my accountant, but after my divorce, what used to be "free" is now $240 an hour, and after paying her $800, she informed me I owed her $2,300 more. So we're not on speaking terms until I satisfy the bill, and if I would charge the rabbi, that could have made a dent...

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 13, 2018 01:13PM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paying it forward based on faith is extremely
> rewarding...keep it up Andrew.

I would have to agree with Phil.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 13, 2018 03:00PM

I think it's commendable that you choose to donate your time and energy to charity.
With that said, I don't think it would be out of line to charge your cost for parts you use while donating your labor.
If you were to do the work after regular business hours or when the shop is slow, the time donated would be less likely to take away from time that would otherwise be profitable.

At the end of the day, the only one that needs to be comfortable with how you choose to handle your donation is you.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: June 13, 2018 03:40PM

Caraholic, I'm not doing any billable repairs at all, and I haven't for the last 3 years. Divorce, getting my life back together and a new commercial building. In fact I have to deal with my ex again tomorrow for the last of my personal belongings, including some Corvair parts. So I don't really have the time to do this, but I just can't see him paying easy $500+ for all four new rotors and calipers, which is what would be coming had he gone to any shop. And he wouldn't know better, and he does carry two small children and drive alot. So what would he think, just do it do it do it, and get ripped off

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 13, 2018 04:27PM

When I read " I also offer to repair his vehicles when they break down" I guess I misunderstood to some degree what you were asking and thought maybe you worked at or operated a shop. I have now re-read your initial post and after reading your reply have a better understanding I think.

IF you are not in a position to do the work yourself at the moment, it sounds like some repairs are needed to be done by someone. Properly functioning brakes as you know are very important, especially the front brakes.

IF you can recommend a shop or mechanic you trust to your friend, that is better than letting them go to an unknown shop, but the repair should be done sooner and not later.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 13, 2018 05:30PM

Uglytruck, It is generous of you donate your time and work, but it can easily get out of control, especially when you work for free. The Rabbi and anyone else you repair cars for should know its always going to cost something when they ask you for help-- even if its just 10 or 20% of what its worth. And then there's the liability issue too. What if he drove up in an old car belonging to a very poor member of the congregation, and asks you to help them with a "few minor repairs" and it turns into a nightmare? What if his relatives start calling with sob stories ?.....

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: June 13, 2018 06:17PM

Brizo and caraholic... I've considered the scenarios of people getting used to not paying for repairs. But he does put on quite a show for me, and when I'm available he'll teach me about my religion. there are plenty of people that tell me their sob stories, I know, they all seem to find me.

In a similar vein of brake trouble, my real estate agent drives a very rusty but low miles 2001 4 wheel drive 3./4 ton Suburban, and he asked me to go look at the brakes because the pedal went to the floor. The brake line had rusted through above the gas tank, and quoted $3500 to fix it, the dealer had quoted four rotors and calipers, brake lines etc. So his brother-in-law did a good job, but when I crawled underneath to fix the trailer wires, I noticed the rear brake line on the axle was rotted ready to pop. One wonders why someone does a thorough job, but doesn't do a thorough job?

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: June 13, 2018 06:44PM

Those of this forum are very wise, however in the case of a Rabbi you need to consult life's tech manual:

"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to
do it." Proverbs 3:27

Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.