Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
ignition questions?
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: June 13, 2018 07:23AM

I'm working on the 60 and setting up the carbs syncing and such. Also the timing, which has led me to a question.

The 60 has two engines for 60, early and late. Mine is the late, which the book calls for the timing to be set at 4°. The timing tab has 0-4-8 and then a space then the tab ends.

I was checking the distributor points and such and it all is by book. Which the dwell is set at 32°. So I checked the number on the distributor and it has a 259 which the chart of corvair distributors says is for a late 60 engine, with automatic which matches my engine and transmission.

But my question is, when I read the specs on the 259 it says timing should be set at 13°.

So I'm now confused. The car seems to run fine at 4° but I was having some hesitation which is why I decided to check the carbs and timing and such!

So anyone have an idea! Should I just set it at 4° and leave it at that?

Also I have one rocker that keeps loosening up. I adjust it and the nut loosens up after running and driving it. I know I can take it off, the nut, and rap it with a hammer to tighten it up, or can you double nut the ones that keep getting loose. And then replace them all this winter!

Am I looking at something with the timing that isn't an issue.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ignition questions?
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 13, 2018 07:31AM

If it were mine I would advance it a few degrees at a time until you get a light ping, then back it off to the last position where it didn't ping. That will get you the best mileage, power and drivability.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 13, 2018 09:05AM

This post reminded me that you sent a PM and that I forgot to answer. Oops!

You asked how to set timing to the specified value when the timing tab ends at 8-degrees.

The answer is to use a set-back timing light which includes a knob. Turn the knob until the timing mark is aligned to zero on the engine's scale and read the timing off the display or knob on the timing light.

I had to set my timing into the stratosphere to eliminate the hesitation but never had any spark knock.

FWIW, there were five or so different distributors in '60 and each had it's own initial timing. The '60 manual only shows the first design.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Date: June 13, 2018 02:13PM

Thanks guys. I guess I'll possibly look at upgrading my timing light or do as J.O suggested and take it up until it pings. But using the new timing light makes it easier to record and keep for later use if needed! That will help my son when he takes over the care of this car.

Thanks much hopefully this and fixing the nuts on the rocker that keeps getting loose will end my issues and I can concentrate on enjoying the car.

Craig you've mentioned getting excited about getting your first corvair done and on the road? The 60 is my first car and I've driven it some but not nearly as much as I wanted. Keep running in to things that needed fixed. But if this new engine works as good as it did, I will be set.

I hope you get it going very soon!

Thanks

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 13, 2018 02:20PM

Set it to 6, that's within the range of your timing tab. Then test. You can do that with your existing timing light.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: June 15, 2018 05:19AM

Thanks Greg.
That is next, and hopefully I can check this today.

Yesterday I spent the time on the carbs and it runs a lot better. The hesitation I had was bad but now I can push on the gas and it doesn't hesitate. But if I blip the throttle it will just slightly. I'm hoping the timing correction will get this cleared up!

But it idles smoothly and such!

Spent the day working on the car and trying to fix the a/c in the house. It started freezing up. Can't seem to get time to concentrate on just the car without other things popping up!

Thanks

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.