Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Is this wheel cylinder leaking?
Posted by: NebraskaDave ()
Date: June 12, 2018 05:18PM

My car has been pulling slightly to the left upon braking, so I am operating under the assumption that the right front brake isn’t fully engaging. I understand it could be any number of things, but I figured I’d start here. This weekend I installed a new Clark’s dual master cylinder, and everything feels good, but it stills pulls left. The rubber brake lines are dated 2008, so my assumption is that they’re not the problem. All of the fluid I bled out looked good, except the right front. It appeared to be streaked with red/rusty fluid. It looks like the brake components were replaced, I’d guess in 2008 as well. My concern is the wheel cylinder, does it appear to any of you to be leaking from the bottom right side? The fluid that is on the rubber boot was tacky, like grease. I found no evidence of dripping. I’ve posted links to pictures, thanks for your input.
[m.imgur.com]
[m.imgur.com]

1963 Monza Convertible
Nebraska

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this wheel cylinder leaking?
Posted by: Greasemonkey512 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 05:32PM

I would clean everything off with brake cleaner, reassemble, test drive, and recheck for new fluid / grease. I agree is looks more like grease but it is really hard to diagnois a problem when it is dirty. It is most likely pulling one way because there is less friction on this side

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 05:33PM by Greasemonkey512.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 12, 2018 05:35PM

Yes it looks like it may be leaking. How does it look under the boot should not be really wet in there and certainly not rusty. I do not think I would necessarily put a lot of trust in 10 year old brake hoses either. Tires also made of rubber are suspect if they are more than 8 or so years old is the current theory so....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 12, 2018 05:47PM

Good pics, I'm looking at the surface the grease seal rides on, something looks wrong. Also, it looks like the inner bearing may have cut into the spindle. Maybe its throwing some WB grease.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 12, 2018 05:57PM

Without removing springs or shoes, pull the boot back from the end of the wheel cyl. If there's moisture on the back side of the boot, the cylinder is leaking. If it's dry, it's a failed grease seal from that rough seal surface.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: June 13, 2018 02:27AM

I wouldn't take any chances with brakes. 10 years can be OK for a hose but of course it depends on the life it has led. How often fluid has been changed, exposure to ozone, cold, wet, salt etc. I'd certainly be tempted to swap them out for what it's worth.

Cylinders are pretty cheap too. Are they the same for a dual setup?

Must admit I replaced the fluid in mine and it made the world of difference. What came out looked like gravy (British gravy, not your weird American gravy). Two hoses were replaced when it came into the UK but a full fluid replacement had not been done. I also had to replace the master cylinder as it was also leaking. I expect the cylinders to give up so when I visited the US last month I did pick up some new cylinders.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 13, 2018 06:00AM

I see its a 63 and my experience with this is an LM. The rear brake is Vairy strong compared to front engine rear drive cars. I was trouble shooting what I certain was a front brake issue for weeks. Then I took it out to gravel road running between 5/10 MPH and hit the brakes hard enough to make it skid. The rear wheel skid, not the front.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.