Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Window channels
Posted by: jgreen ()
Date: June 12, 2018 06:52AM

Hello all,

Do you have to take off the door panels to install new window channels? Our Lakewood needs all 4 windows done.

John & Kathy Green
Castle Rock, CO

1961 Lakewood 110
1968 Coupe 110

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Window channels
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 12, 2018 07:23AM

If you talking about the u shaped rubber that run completely are the window openings and that the glass slides up and down in then Yes the door panels must come off. The rear steel glass channels that the rubber runs thru generally need to be removed and removing the glass is also helpful if not completely necessary. I installed these rubber channels in a Corvair wagon recently. I installed the front run, top run and top rear run and then installed the glass. Taped the glass to hold it up in the top of the door and then installed the rear channel support completing the install. You will pretty much need to replace the fuzzies at the same time as they need to be removed to facilitate removing and installing the glass and generally do not remove in reusable condition.

I found that with very careful measuring and V notching the sides of the channel rubber I was able to get nice square corners at the top front and rear of the window openings without completely cutting the channel weatherstrip into pieces. This is helpful to ensure the weatherstrips stay in place and that the vertical sections are not likely to slide down during glass operation. Make the top run just a hair long before forming the corners so that it needs to be compressed a little to fit form end to end. This will allow for a little shrinkage before the corner start to pull in toward the center of the door. I have seen them installed where people have cut them in pieces (front, top and rear) and have seen gaps at the corners from shrink and the vertical piece slipping down into the doors. Goo luck on your project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.