Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Hard starting
Posted by: chris ()
Date: June 11, 2018 09:48PM

My 140hp has become hard to start after sitting for 3 or more days. I'm suspecting the mechanical fuel pump. I have to give it a good amount of cranking before it will start (never more than 20 seconds consecutively to avoid hurting the starter). Tonight I checked after cranking for a good amount with no starting and couldn't get a squirt of any of the accelerator pumps on either primary carb. The fuel pump shows no sign of leaking but I may disconnect one of the lines to see if there's any fuel. What do you all think?

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hard starting
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 11, 2018 09:55PM

Check the two rubber lines! Change them to be sure... Fuel BARRIER Hose...

1 near the tank

2 left wheel well

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 12, 2018 09:14AM

What Matt said. Sounds like the mechanical pump is sucking air. Consider an electric pump mounted near the tank with a fuel pump shut off relay, unless you want pure stock. I have the Airtek and a fuel pump "blank" that Clark's sells that replaces the guts of the pump with a simple pass-thru passage so it appears stock. Turn the key and it fills the carbs back up as it will run for a few seconds before shutting off due to no tach signal. Turn it off, and on again if needed then crank and should start right up, less strain on both starter and battery IMO.

Looks like a normal fuel pump set-up. The only other thing is the hole in the pump that the pushrod passed through needs to be sealed off as oil still gets flung up and can make a small mess, don't ask me how I know that. JB weld on the hole in the lower part of the pump fixed that problem.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: chris ()
Date: June 12, 2018 09:43AM

Ah, good point about air in the line. I will check it out. Thanks for the ideas!

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 09:44AM by chris.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: June 12, 2018 09:46AM

I installed the electric pump next to the tank. Be sure it doesn't hang down where it could be hit by road obstacles. I plugged it into an ignition actuated power circuit on the fuse block but I like the idea of a tach signaled power circuit so it only runs when the engine does. Maybe someone else can explain that to both of us. Also, install a filter at the rear rubber line, inside the DS rear wheel well.

I am looking for a kit to eliminate the mechanical fuel pump. I may have to make it.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 12, 2018 09:25PM

Guys!! earlier post on Tach sensing VW relay! cheap!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.