Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
XX0 Service Engine markings
Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 01:41PM

Today I was cleaning up an engine that we took out of a 1964 500 coupe. The PO told me that the car had a "new" engine put in it just a few years ago. The car was a dud, but the engine turned out to be a service engine with an "XX0" code stamped on the block. I took the top shroud off to clean it and then the fan. Underneath I found another "XX0" designation - this time hand written on the blower itself. The block is a 164 cid. The heads have a part # for an 80 HP engine, but the casting has the larger bolts all the way across to attach the top shroud to the engine. I think the heads were cast after 1966. Does this engine have a long stroke crank? Maybe... Now I just need another Corvair to put this nice clean engine in and then hit the highway!

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: XX0 Service Engine markings
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 11, 2018 01:57PM

Score!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:39PM

You are so close to seeing inside it. Why not remove the top cover and look for the crankshaft number. That will confirm what it is.

Lee J

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 11, 2018 08:28PM

I thought the same thing Lee. How about it Pete?
And is it also set up for an FC or wagon?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.