Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
performance parts
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: June 11, 2018 10:22AM

Did any Chevy dealerships (Nickey-Chicago) (Berger-Grand Rapids) ever issue any high performance parts for Corvair?

scottymac

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: performance parts
Date: June 11, 2018 10:42AM

Lil' ol' Yenko Chevrolet in Canonsburg Pennsylvania sure did.
They even created a whole "Stinger" which was largely based on a Corvair, but was in the SCCA's rules deemed to be a newly minted vehicle by Yenko as a manufacturer.
Don Yenko shared the love, by working with SPAN inc. to sell Stingers (and other Yenko creations) to other dealerships such as those you noted in addition to many others...

Grandpa, Grandma, Mother in Law - get in the back seat! Were goin' out for a DRIVE!!!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 10:47AM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: yenkomark ()
Date: June 12, 2018 06:22AM

Of course the original "Corvair guy " was Bill Thomas in California

performance parts and CORVAIR COMMUNIQUES
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: June 12, 2018 08:56AM

I have the Yenko and Thomas catalogs, just wondered if any other Chevy dealers pushed Corvair performance as they did with V-8 COPO cars. Perhaps the early Corvair Club newsletters would have more information? I have a number of the CORVAIR COMMUNIQUES, but from 1965 and newer, does anyone have older issues?

Posted by: yenkomark ()
Date: June 12, 2018 04:58PM

Seems like most,Corvair enhancement parts and services sprang from individual efforts....although a few were part of a larger effort. Cragar for one, Bill Thomas. Yenko used some Thomas parts in the early Stinger program.Reference " The Yenko Era " for invoices.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 12, 2018 05:25PM

Agree with you Mark. Places such as IECO and EELCO and DOUGLAS EXHAUST came on very early.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: June 12, 2018 06:55PM

The first Communique was Jan 1971 As for Nickey in Chicago they sold many Corvair accessories in the day but I don't believe they produced any just featured parts from other sources The old Warshawski (JC Whitney)in Chicago had a whole Corvair section in there catalogs in the 60s and early 70s also from other suppliers.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: June 12, 2018 10:37PM

Has anybody ever seen the Stage V fuel injected engine that Yenko talks about at the end of the advertisement?

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 12, 2018 10:59PM

I thought I had read somewhere that no Stage V's were ever actually produced.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 13, 2018 05:23AM

There is a picture of the FI engine in a car that was raced in Canada, I believe YS-104, but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve often wondered if it is the same FI motor that Chevrolet developed and was accidentally gifted to Don Garlits museum in Florida by the CPF.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: June 13, 2018 08:17AM

Mike Stillwell wrote, "I’ve often wondered if it is the same FI motor that Chevrolet developed and was accidentally gifted to Don Garlits museum in Florida by the CPF." The word "accidentally" is key.

I was not on the Board back then, but I'm under the impression that the engine was to be loaned, not gifted. Unfortunately, the person who arranged the transaction did not proffer a loan agreement to Garlits for his signature. In other words, there is no paperwork to verify that this was just a loan, so now Garlits claims it is his.

This unfortunate outcome could have been easily avoided. The CPF has had a procedure and loan agreement template in place for such transactions since 2001. People may decry the need for such formality, but this is what happens when you do a hand-shake deal with a stranger.

It would be nice to get the FI engine back so that we could display it in the Corvair Museum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 08:20AM by Allan Lacki.

Re: performance parts (an update)
Date: June 15, 2018 06:18AM

Mike Stillwell wrote, "I’ve often wondered if it is the same FI motor that Chevrolet developed and was accidentally gifted to Don Garlits museum in Florida by the CPF."

Update: Actually, that fuel injected engine was owned by a private individual, not the CPF.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 15, 2018 06:37AM

Sounds about as clear as mud.

Mike
YS-117

Date: June 15, 2018 11:18AM

It's actually quite simple. Not every item exhibited by the CPF is owned by the CPF. Some items are owned by the CPF and some are not. Plenty of museums display items that are on loan to them.

I may be wrong, but from what I gather, that fuel-injected Corvair engine was not really owned by the CPF even though it may have been exhibited in one of the prior Corvair museums (e.g. Richmond and Ypsilanti).

Maybe someone who was closer to the situation can chime in here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.