Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I could use some mechanical help
Posted by: Yellow ()
Date: June 13, 2018 04:34PM

Thank You, does this require a rebuild or is there another option? Pretty new to old cars and not quite ready to pull a carb off much less rebuild one...

62 Monza Convertible w/64 Differential and Leaf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 13, 2018 08:55PM

The Term "Rebuild" is Bogus!!

Carb needs to come apart and ALL passages blown out! Float level checked, as well as accellerator pump performance.

I'd suggest you buy Rochester Carburetors by Bob Helt

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 12:47PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Don63Vair2 ()
Date: June 14, 2018 08:22AM

I'll check the basics when I get to the car in a couple of days, but a few of you suggested carb balancing. I would need the Uni-Syn to do this right? If so, is there a model number for this? I have seen some on ebay and some are advertised for certain models of car.

Kerry - Gas tank and fuel lines were replaced. I do not know if the pickup/sock was replaced though.

Greg - Car seems to idle fine, just no power on acceleration. Gas pedal to floor and struggle to get to 70mph. Struggling up steep hill.

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: June 14, 2018 08:53AM

Check if your mechanical advance is free, mine ceased and top end acceleration was gone.

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
63 Coup
64 Convertible

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: June 14, 2018 10:12AM

Don, You can buy the Uni-Syn you need from one of our forum members (marco_a_p)... he has some listed on the Corvair Trader group on Facebook. (assuming he hasn't sold them all yet)

FB- Corvair Traders

you can also PM him here:

Marco PM

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 14, 2018 10:24AM

A Corvair can idle on 3 cylinders but not make much power so you definitely seem to have issues with the carb that doesn't make a difference in the idle when covered. Might be more than a blocked siphon tube then. Check the fuel filter in that carb and I am afraid you might need to take at least that one off and do all the things Matt Nall suggests.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Date: June 18, 2018 02:11PM

Ok, so I checked out the car today, before I even started the car, I took a look at the plugs.
The drivers side were greyish/tan and the passenger side were very black/sooty.

Checked fuel filters in carbs, they looked clean.

Checked pump shots in each carb, didn't see anything from drivers side and some out
of passenger side, but not a nice stream. But car started and I had to keep working
the gas peddle to keep it going. After a few minutes the car would idle by itself.
Checked the pump shots and they both looked good.

Checked dwell, it was 29.5 and timing was up to 16. Cut back timing to 13.

I covered each carb and this time they both caused the engine to bog down, so I thought I was good,
but when moving the car, it ran like crap and did the palm test again and the results were
back to very slight to no change with the passenger carb being covered.

So the way the car is acting right now is that it starts fine and I can give it gas
when in neutral and if I hit it hard, it stumbles/bogs. If I put it in gear with no
gas pedal action, it is ok, but when trying to give it some gas, it just stubles and dies.

Is it normal to see the gas shots in the carb with the car running? The only other carb
that I have worked on was a 4GC and you do not see the shots with it running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Date: June 18, 2018 02:45PM

Pass.side carb is flooding!

1st while running... tap on carb top with plastic hammer RAP it... might jiggle the inlet valve and let it close...

After that's no help

Remove carb and dismantle and blowout all passages... see our FAQ's!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 20, 2018 12:06PM

Are the Corvair and VW mechanically similiar? Reason I am asking is there is a shop near me and they work on VW's so was thinking they may be able to help.

Date: June 20, 2018 12:57PM

Haven't you been able to connect with the NE Wisconsin Club?

Although EARLY Aircooled VW engines are similar most didn't have 2 carbs...

A GOOD VW mechanic may be no better than a bad Corvair mechanic!

Your carb doesn't need a rebuild most likely... just a cleanout.

But like Larry C., a good Vairmech will start at square one and work up from there....takes 5 minutes and a few simple common tools. They will then know what the problem is.

Date: June 21, 2018 12:24PM

I had contacted NE club when I had the initial problem and I went to the referred person. I have been going to this person over the past 3 years, about 90 miles each way, once the car had to be towed there because it ran so bad, and i'm still in the same position, so I figured I would see if there was someone else.

Date: June 21, 2018 12:49PM

All you can do is go to that VW shop and talked to them about Corvairs... see if they are familiar with them and Rochester carbs...

Date: June 22, 2018 02:07PM

Took apart the passenger side carb today, seemed like one of the venturi screws was a little loose, but it was clean & open. Main jet looked good, but I could not get the pump discharge jet out, appears to be stuck in there. Completely removed carb and turned it over, no movement at all. Is there a trick to getting this out? Also checked the float settings, airhorn upside down was 1-1/8" and drop was 1-1/2". Needle and seat looked clean.

Date: June 22, 2018 02:23PM

How's the condition of the stone fuel filter? Shouldn't be a pump discharge jet, there should be a brass needle that should come out when you turn the carb over. The brass bit on the lower left by the accelerator pump hole. It should come out without any problem when you turn it over. Sorry about the fuzzy pic, but you can see the pump discharge needle location. Others have a better pic showing the 2 streams that come out when the accelerator pump is activated. The needle rises in it's bore slightly under the fuel pressure provided by the pump cup, allowing fuel to the 2 little pin sized holes. Hope that helps.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 02:26PM by Gregory_Miller.

Attachments:
Date: June 22, 2018 02:30PM

Fast response Greg! Yes, the brass needle is exactly what I am referring to. I did turn the carb upside down but it is not moving at all. It is down less than 1/8" from the top, so nothing to grab onto to try to remove it. Any suggestions?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 22, 2018 02:35PM

Blow air in the accelerator pump plunger hole. It will launch out and maybe go hide in the corner.

Date: June 22, 2018 02:44PM

What Joel said. but I would cup my hand over the needle so it hits that instead of flying about the place looking to hide. Plunger hole at bottom of accel pump bore,that'll get it most likely.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 22, 2018 03:02PM

If you watch closely your eye will probably catch it.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.