Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
rampside trans
Posted by: RACERGEO ()
Date: June 10, 2018 07:40PM

I have a 62 ramp with a 64-65 4speed. Having problems shifting when it is up to temp. I was thinking of putting a 65 car trans in but I found that 1 gear ratio is 30 point less. The diff. is a 3:55 do you think I should rebuild the truck trans and put it back in.I live in Florida and don't know anybody that can rebuild it. Thinking of doing it myself anything tricky I should look out for.Rebuilt may things but not a trans. Looking for any advise I can get.Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rampside trans
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 10, 2018 08:16PM

Can not use a 65 differential in an early car or FC. The 65 car trans will work fine with your existing diff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 10, 2018 08:42PM

I will have to look again but it is an early case because it has the speedo hook up. I think the case had a stamp of HC and I thought the junkyard primer said 3:55. I thought FC had 3:89. I will check tomorrow but if it is a 3:89 a 3:20 1st gear trans will be ok ( 65, steel side cover, w/back switch )

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 10, 2018 08:52PM

Most FC were 3.89 but some early Greenbriar were 3.27.

64-5 FC were 3.55.

65 FC is an oddity - some have '65 car--looking diff (bosses for lower control arms) but early guts and speedo fitting on side.

In Florida, car 4-sp (3.20:1 first gear) will work fine with a 3.55 axle.

As far as local resources go, are you in South Florida? If so, Si Johnson of Ft. Meyers is your man. CCF name is SFC SHOP

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: June 11, 2018 04:13AM

Thanks for the info. Fort Meyers is only 3hr drive for me. I tried to find his phone number and only found the southern corvair club that has a number so I will try that and I hope they might give his number. Anybody have his number. Anybody have thoughts on me trying to jump in and rebuild the trans myself. The trans is the only thing I have never taken apart on a corvair.

Date: June 11, 2018 05:21AM

Might consider changing the Transaxle lube to improve the shifting.
Need a GL-4 rated lube with additives that are OK for our manual transmission synchronizers.
I use Amsoil MTG Synthetic Gear Lube which has the extreme pressure (EP) additives needed for the hypoid gears in the diff, but also has protection additives for the yellow metals of the synchronizers.
There are a few other synthetic GL-4 rated transaxles lubes out there too, but don't use a GL-5 rated lube in a manual trans.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 11, 2018 05:36AM

Mike Levine can rebuild you transaxles for you. PM v8vair to ask him. He did my 4 spd and 3.27 diff.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: June 11, 2018 07:28AM

What engine are you using?

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 11, 2018 07:47AM

As to your question of difficulty... I've done several 66-9 4-speed transmissions and they're easy.

The earlier design is much more difficult because of the shift rail placement in the bottom of the case. You have to disassemble and reassemble the rails through the small opening in the side of the case and with my large hands this process is very difficult.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 11, 2018 08:38AM

Dan the Gear Man in S. Calif. has been doing transmissions for decades and comes to the local clubs to talk about them. The 66-69 is easier to rebuild vs. the earlier transmissions that require a knowledge of how to properly shim them.

The other issue is good used transmissions are getting scarce. The days of swapping in a good used transmission are about over. Folks rarely changed the gear oil and now it's taking a toll.

I'd suggest using an experienced person as recommended here to rebuild yours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.