Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Carbon Monoxide Detector ? (use in vehicles)
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:42AM

Recently I pulled the powerpack from my Corvair which has been sitting dormant for 30 plus years. My goal is to go through it, clean what I can, and replace gaskets and seals where needed.

While removing the exhaust manifolds, the exhaust tube on cylinder #3 did not release from the manifold as anticipated.
While trying to separate the manifold from the tube, the tube started to come out of the head but didn't because the push rod tube limited it's movement.
Once I had the manifold off, I pressed the tube back into the head using a piece of 2X4 and a hammer. While it seems to be firmly in place I am now concerned about it's integrity and if it will leak or not.

Research offered me several options and opinions but even though I am satisfied it (or others) won't come out easily, I am still concerned about Co2 getting into the heater system.
With that said, I am not willing to risk my health and well being which results in my considering the use of a Co2 Detector in the car from this point on.

Has anyone on this site had a similar concern, or have any experience regarding the installation of a Co2 Detector in their vehicle?

I saw a couple choices listed on flea bay and immediately discounted the reliability and probable accuracy of the style that plugs into the lighter socket and also offers USB charging and safety hammer but did see one offering that might have promise. I decided to pose the question to the forum and see what opinions or experiences are offered.

[www.ebay.com]

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Monoxide Detector ? (use in vehicles)
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:58AM

[corvaircenter.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: June 10, 2018 07:01AM

This was addressed within past year.

CO Detector from ASA. Cheap under $5.00 each, does have an expected one year life after opening package. I choose these aviation style cockpit Carbon Monoxide detectors, as it requires no power. Directions suggest to keep out of direct sunlight and do not use with diesel engines due to airborne contaminants.

[www.mypilotstore.com]

When Carbon monoxide is detected they change color. I used this in an old family '96 cutlass that had developed a leak at the cross over manifold which GM placed strategically below the drivers cowl intake. Works like a charm.

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Date: June 10, 2018 07:03AM

And another

[www.aircraftspruce.com]

And another

[www.walmart.com] monoxide detector with digital display&veh=sem

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 07:04AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: June 10, 2018 09:55AM

Aircraft units are fine for a vehicle, but home Carbon Monoxide (CO ) unit is possibly a bad choice, because of the way the home unit reads CO levels over time duration.

Before my selection I checked with several home CO detector manufacturers, one had no opinion and other, Kidde, said it was inappropriate to use a home based CO detector in an automobile due to the design parameters.

A home CO unit is inappropriate for an automobile because a home CO unit is calibrated to "read" CO over a longer period of time vs. a specific auto/aviation unit that "reads" CO over a shorter period of time. Use of a home unit in a vehicle could lead the operator into succumbing to Carbon Monoxide before the home CO unit would alert the driver of the danger.

Just my two cents.

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Date: June 10, 2018 10:17AM

Thanks for the replies so far.

The unit I have posted as an example is advertised for use in automobiles as well as aircraft which is why I referred to it specifically.

As a note, some of the topics discussed before although related, were not specific to the Co2 concern, but more so directed to odor in the vehicle then touched on the Co2 topic. I do now recall browsing some of those topics when they were posted. I do appreciate the links for reference.

Here is a cut and paste from the link I posted.

"The original "FORENSICS" vehicle & aircraft CO gas detector made with the BEST high quality Japanese sensor technology for MAX protection at low-level 9ppm alarming. 2018 stylish design, strong aluminum with stylish metal finish. Early alarming to prevent CO exposure from exhaust leaks and/or outdoor polluted air entering the vehicle/cabin that commonly triggers headaches, nausea and fatigue. Have peace of mind and take preventative care. The FORENSICS CO detector was specifically designed with "reliability and ease of use" for POLICE, Ford Explorer Owners (NHTSA Investigation "Ford Explorer Exhaust Odor"), emergency vehicles, aircraft pilots, truck drivers, UBER, fleet vehicles and personal vehicle operation. CO alarms are set at 9ppm with RED LED & 25ppm with audible buzzer sound (70dcool smiley. To ensure max protection, 9ppm alarm level were chosen as recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH). The CO vehicle & aircraft alarm includes smart detection algorithms designed in California USA, a high quality sensor Made in Japan and Product Manufactured in China. Small, modern aluminum alloy body give a real "metal finish" high quality touch, lightweight (2oz) and comes with a robust case and a 3M stick-on mount option. Regular home CO alarms are too slow and only alarm when the CO level is over 70ppm - way too high as fatigue and drowsiness will be incurred leading to accidents. The first CO detector specifically design for transport. Also tested and cofirmed at altitude for aircraft reliability. One-button operation making it easy for anybody to operate. Box includes CO detector with 2xCR2032 batteries installed, plastic sleeve mount and instructions in English. 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed. Test and verified in California."

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 10, 2018 11:03AM

CO2 is carbon dioxide

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: June 10, 2018 11:11AM

Info on carbon monoxide (CO):

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly less dense than air. It is toxic to hemoglobic animals when encountered in concentrations above about 35 ppm, ... Wikipedia

Formula: CO

Symptoms: Headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, confusion

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Date: June 10, 2018 11:52AM

I stand corrected. Even though I clearly stated Carbon Monoxide, I made the error of posting Co2 instead of CO.

Once again, the item I referred to was actually a CO detector and advertised for automotive and aircraft use.

I am after all, not a scientist but rather simply a car person concerned about my health and well being. It is not my intention to confuse anyone even if it is unintentional. Thanks for correcting me. thumbs up

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: June 10, 2018 12:05PM

The Cat operators at work use a hand held CO monitor in their cabs. I will check the make-model tonight as well as the exposure limits. Cheers, Dave. They also use them for the propane powered forklifts in the machine room. Cheers, Dave

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65 Crown V8, 2017 Mazda CX3

Date: June 10, 2018 12:22PM

No problem. I have been holding off on getting a CO detector until I get a Vair on the road. Your research seems to have come up with a good one with a reasonable price. Since my Greenbrier is close to running, in a couple months I will probably review all available units like you are doing and purchase one.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 10, 2018 12:28PM

Just leave a Wing window cracked and no problem... Why us Smokers never die! LOL!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: June 10, 2018 02:01PM

$99 on Amazon, with prime :
[www.amazon.com]

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: June 10, 2018 03:25PM

I keep a cheap Kiddie CO detector between the seats in my Spyder. It did go off once when I was running the car briefly in the garage (with the door open) on a dead calm day while adjusting the carb.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 11, 2018 04:54AM

Nickshu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I keep a cheap Kiddie CO detector between the
> seats in my Spyder. It did go off once when I was
> running the car briefly in the garage (with the
> door open) on a dead calm day while adjusting the
> carb.

I have one of those on the shelf in my garage, as I often use a kerosene heater. I started my Vair this winter with both doors open. The exhaust was about 2' from the door and pointing out. The CO went off within minutes and took a while to shut off.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.