Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
need help. starting
Posted by: mjw65 ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:39AM

hello, i was wondering or looking to get some help. i have a 1965 corvair 110. car ran great before i put it up for the winter. and now i can not get it running. it will start with starting fluid but wont run other wise. i have tried 2 fuel pumps but i dont think the fuel pump is the problem. carbs were ok and never were a problem before.it just seems like there is no gas in the carbs. any help. i should have started it a few time over the winter. this is the longest it has sat since i have owned it....thank you for any help...mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need help. starting
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:50AM

If it runs on quick start it almost certainly a fuel issue. Did you pull the air clearer to see if the choke and accelerator pumps are working.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 07:31AM by MattNall.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:54AM

Check for spark.

There are several ways to accomplish this but one easy method if your Corvair ignition system is stock (not a High Energy Ignition style) would be to pull one of the plug wires, put a spark plug in the end, then crank the engine and watch for a spark across the gap.

There is a chance that the spark plugs could need cleaning or replacement.

There is a chance that the points need cleaned and re-gaped or replaced.

The three things you need are Air, Fuel, Spark.

If the timing has been messed with, it may need adjusted.

Check the vacuum hoses from the distributor to the carburetor and on the crossover tube to the carburetor bases as they can be the source of leaks.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: June 10, 2018 06:55AM

yes i have the air cleaner removed and all linkage appear to move as they should. no gas in carbs. float issue???

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 10, 2018 07:00AM

Try loosening the pump lock screw and work it up and down by hand for a while. You should be able hear/feel a difference when fuel gets moving. Also check the short rubber fuel line on the other front side of the fire wall. I got tired of dealing with and installed an in line electric for cold and hot starts. Just starting it for short periods over the winter is not the best for the engine. Condensation never gets cooked out.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 10, 2018 08:31AM

Not getting any fuel into the carbs is usually caused by a blockage in the fuel system somewhere or a split rubber joiner hose either by the tank or at the junction inboard and above the L rear wheel. A blockage, plugged filters (fuel sock in the tank, filter stones at the carbs, or any inline fuel filter that has been added) or line will obviously not allow fuel flow, and a split fuel feed hose will make the pump suck air instead of fuel. If pouring a little gas in the carbs makes it start and then die as that fuel burns your immediate problem is certainly fuel delivery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 10, 2018 10:28AM

Something else to consider if you do not see fuel squirting when operating the linkage.

It is POSSIBLE that the accelerator pump inside the carburetors may have been damaged if the gasoline you have been using contained Ethanol.

Clarks sells just the rubber cup as well as the accelerator pump (see their photo). If Ethanol is found to be a contributing factor to your problem, I would suggest trying to find an accelerator pump that is resistant to it.

[www.corvair.com]

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: June 10, 2018 04:27PM

As Ted suggested, the rubber fuel supply hoses at the gas tank and/or at the left rear wheel well are probably cracked and allowing air in.
You won't get gas if this is the case.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: June 10, 2018 04:44PM

thank you everyone who responded to my call for help. dont know alot about carbs, but learning. anyway it was an ethenol problem i belive. had someone recommed looking into the accelerator pump. well removed and cleaned the carbs, also the stones were what looked like dry sand. anyway removed and cleaned and it started right up. running well. again thank you for all the input. glad she is running and i will take it out for a ride tomorrow, have to get a sticker...mike

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:26PM

Glad it was easy!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 10, 2018 08:23PM

mjw65 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thank you everyone who responded to my call for
> help. dont know alot about carbs, but learning.
> anyway it was an ethenol problem i belive. had
> someone recommed looking into the accelerator
> pump. well removed and cleaned the carbs, also the
> stones were what looked like dry sand. anyway
> removed and cleaned and it started right up.
> running well. again thank you for all the input.
> glad she is running and i will take it out for a
> ride tomorrow, have to get a sticker...mike

If there was crap in the filter stones you are not done and the issue may well recur. Crap in the filters indicates crap in the fuel system and likely the fuel tank. Have you looked inside the tank? If not you should do so and if it is not beautifully clean and pretty I recommend replacing the tank. A crudded up corroded tank will continue to give issues, and yes people say you can clean out and seal the tank, but, sealants can fail and the time and effort and cost to do this is better spent on a new tank which will give no issues for years to come. While you have the fuel sender out so you can look in the tank make sure that at least the filter sock on the sender fuel pickup tube is intact and clean. Replace at least this if it is not very nice, clean and not torn, and also blow out the lines from the tank to the carbs to remove any debris in them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 08:24PM by TerribleTed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.