Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Time for a sticky about vendors?
Posted by: mattlockwood ()
Date: June 09, 2018 04:21PM

First of all, I’d like to start off by saying the vast, vast majority of the people on the forum are very helpful and a good source of information, as well as kindly disposed to the newcomer. Also kudos to the moderators for helping keep it civil.

I got burned by a vendor- I sound like a broken record now, I know.

Lessons learned- and I wish this would be made a sticky:

1) research your vendor before buying . Do a search on here. Enough garbage will show up to give you pause, or you’ll be very confident in your purchase.

2) use PayPal. But DO NOT USE THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY OPTION. PayPal considers the Friends and family option a gift and will not reimburse. Even if the vendor asks you to use F/F, DO NOT DO IT. I believe it’s unlawful for them to require you to pay the 4% extra if you use the business option on PayPal but that may be a rumor. My vendor asked me to use F/F and I’m guessing it’s because he knew PayPal wouldnt rescind his payment if I filed a claim. If you use the business option and the need arises, PayPal will reimburse up to 2k.

3) google your vendor

4) After you do your search on the forum about your vendor, PM anyone who wrote negatively and ask if they got their issue resolved.

5) Ask your bank to refund the $ if PayPal won’t.

6) PM me. I’ll give you the name of the guy who burned me so you can take your business elsewhere

7) spread the word among members of your local club about who the good vendors are, they deserve your business. Spread the word among the members of your club about who the bad vendors are so they can be avoided.

Please add to the list above and let’s see if we can get the moderator to make it a sticky.

Still frustrated,
Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 04:27PM by mattlockwood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time for a sticky about vendors?
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: June 09, 2018 04:28PM

I think it's a bad idea, there would only be 1 name on the list! And 3-2-1 this thread will be deleted quickly.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 04:31PM by davemotohead.

Date: June 09, 2018 04:32PM

Well, I didn’t suggest a list- that would violate the forum rules.

And... the good vendors really deserve our support, that’s the flip side of it.

The elephant in the room.... we can’t say the name......

Date: June 09, 2018 04:36PM

PS - can’t believe I’m actually posting a reply to Dave Motohead. Feels like I’m talking to a famous person! I’ve prob watched ALL your videos...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 09, 2018 05:21PM

I'll put a modified version of that in our FAQ's "Forum Instructions" sticky.

Sadly few read any of the stickies...

This should be in "LINKS" where all vendors are listed

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 05:25PM by MattNall.

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: June 09, 2018 05:34PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll put a modified version of that in our FAQ's
> "Forum Instructions" sticky.
>
> Sadly few read any of the stickies...
>
> This should be in "LINKS" where all vendors are
> listed

Matt,

Nice resolution to an issue that has many sides.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 10, 2018 05:38AM

I for the most part agree with the forum's rule that prohibits "Bashing or Badmouthing" vendors but I also agree that if there is a vendor out there that is often found to be providing poor service and or parts, we should know about it.

With that said, and IF a sticky were placed for vendor feedback, I would like to suggest the following parameters.

The rating should be uniform and limited to language as follows.

For Customer Service the comments should be limited to:

1 = Excellent. The experience was above and beyond expectation.

2 = Satisfactory. The experience was what one would expect from a good vendor.

3 = Problematic. The experience was not perfect, there is room for improvement.

4 = Unacceptable. That the experience was poor at best.

For Value and or Condition of parts, new or used:

1 = Excellent. Items were of top quality or in above average condition.

2 = Satisfactory. Items were as described or expected.

3 = Problematic. Items were defective, or were not as described.

4 = Unacceptable. Items were not as advertised or in very poor condition.

Comments about the individual you dealt with should not be expressed regardless of how good or bad your experience was.

I also think that if specific vendors are permitted to be rated, the vendor should also be able to rate the customer in the same format if they so choose to.

My logic for this is that there are some customers that are usually very good or poor, and some complain regardless how much the vendor bends over backwards to help. Some are never satisfied even when an item in the majority of customer's opinion would be very good or better.

This could eventually illustrate a pattern by a vendor or customer as to their nature.
Example: If 9 out of 10 people give a satisfactory or better rating and one customer or vendor regularly indicates a problematic or lower rating, this might offer insight to the validity of the rating. JMO

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 10, 2018 05:52AM

There are some of our smaller vendors the ask that you use F&F because their margins are so tight, the PP fee just eats into profit. I use it for more than one Vendor when I know I can trust them. Never an issue.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:33AM

J.O.

I totally agree with the system as you describe it.

Feedback system needs to work both ways it is expected to be fair and equitable.

Just think of it. Everyone selling on this forum is a vendor, so you can post on your buyers (forum members). And in reverse everyone buying is a customer, so you can comment on the seller (forum members).

I hope every forum member would be accepting to being graded on their selling or purchasing transactions. Just like on eBay.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:57AM

If you want to know who is above board as far as a Corvair vendor become a Corsa member and there is a list of reputable vendors. With anyone else you take your chances. If you are not a Corsa member do not complain to me, take it up with the person you are dealing with. The same goes even if you are a Corsa member, you should know who is in the listing and deal with them. As a Corsa member if you deal with a non-listed vendor there is nothing I can do, deal with the person on your own.

There are several vendors out there that were in the list and have elected not to renew their listing for whatever reason. Of those that have not renewed on some I have received complaints just after they dropped out of the vendor list and/or Corsa but my hands are tied as to what can be done because when they do not renew their listing they also generally drop out of Corsa.

Now, there are a few vendors that do not have a listing but are known good guys, I do not keep them listed.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: June 10, 2018 07:33AM

I think its a bad idea all the way around to make a sticky about vendors or making a grading system here for all forum members transactions, I have been buying and selling stuff on here since I joined and have never had 1 problem with a forum member at all, Everything I have bought came to my door as described and everything I have sold went to their door as described. Most of us know each other and for the most part we all get along and are Honest people who do what we say in a transaction, and if there ever was a problem I think 99% of the people here will handle it correctly.

There seems to be only one person who is a problem over and over again and for the most part we all know who it is. Truth is truth, might not be pretty sometimes but it is truth, that said I am not sure a warning system or sticky would help new comers make a decision? I think the best solution is to somehow get The person in question to quit selling parts he does not have and quit taking money from people unless the parts are ready to ship, Like all the rest of us do, I hate to alienate a person who has really done a lot for our hobby and has some nice stuff to offer, But that said I personally want to buy some of his stuff, but am hesitant to send any money from all the complaints posted here and elsewhere, Seems to me the only solution to this problem is that vendor gets their act together and starts doing business properly or close their doors and be done, Consistently pissing off customers will force the second option eventually anyways. So Get your Sh1t together, clean up your loose ends and sell only what is ready to ship! You did it in the past, Do it again! thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 07:35AM by davemotohead.

Posted by: TahoeRon ()
Date: June 10, 2018 07:51AM

Double down on what Dave just wrote.

By the way, ebay no longer has sellers rate the buyers. Sellers sometimes threatened to leave negative feedback if the buyer gave them anything less than an excellent review.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 11, 2018 08:26AM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you want to know who is above board as far as a
> Corvair vendor become a Corsa member and there is
> a list of reputable vendors. With anyone else you
> take your chances. If you are not a Corsa member
> do not complain to me, take it up with the person
> you are dealing with. The same goes even if you
> are a Corsa member, you should know who is in the
> listing and deal with them. As a Corsa member if
> you deal with a non-listed vendor there is nothing
> I can do, deal with the person on your own.
>
> There are several vendors out there that were in
> the list and have elected not to renew their
> listing for whatever reason. Of those that have
> not renewed on some I have received complaints
> just after they dropped out of the vendor list
> and/or Corsa but my hands are tied as to what can
> be done because when they do not renew their
> listing they also generally drop out of Corsa.
>
> Now, there are a few vendors that do not have a
> listing but are known good guys, I do not keep
> them listed.

I've have done business a few time with a shop in Michigan named Handy Car Care and have always wondered why they are not on the Corsa list. I've been thoroughly satisfied with the work and advise I've received and highly recommend them to anyone.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 11, 2018 08:30AM

Ken spends a lot of time dealing with that "Handy Car Care" I dunno! LOL!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.