Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Distributor - mechanical advance lockout
Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: June 09, 2018 01:03PM

Is that just too simple? eye popping smiley

In order to trigger a programmable timing control module, I need to lockout the mechanical advance. Don't want to modify the parts with something that cannot be returned to stock configuration. Looking at the advance weights and springs sitting on the cam plate and the most simple idea comes to mind. If I remove the weights (that cause the advance when they spread apart from centrifugal force) and re-install the springs to hold the cam plate in the non-advanced position - it should lock out the advance. I have a way to lock the points plate in place already.

I can find a stronger set of springs to install if that would be more reliable, but it should work. The slight pressure of the points rubbing block would also help keep the cam plate from rotating in the advance timing direction.
Is this too simple minded?

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distributor - mechanical advance lockout
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 09, 2018 01:15PM

Normally that works fine with stiff springs.

Find a hole and a pop rivet!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 09, 2018 02:37PM

Ken - On the distributors I sell, the plate where the advance pin slides through has a larger hole and the pin has a sleeve over it to limit the advance. The larger the sleeve the less the mechanical advance. To lock out the advance, they provide a second hole, the same size as the pin, on the opposite side of the point cam. You lift it up, rotate it and drop it through. The Corvair plate has a second large hole on the other side, so it isn't that easy. An option for you would be to install a sleeve over the stock pin, big enough to stop all movement in the hole. Crown offered a sleeve that limited the advance, you could easily install one large enough to lock it out.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 01:33PM

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Solved without drilling or using sleeve. Fabricated "lock bars" that attach to the pins on shaft and distributor plate. Friction fit the hole/pin clearance and contoured the edge for clearance to inside of body. Reinstalled the retainer plate and it fits snug on the new "lock bars". A previous test I ran required a fixed points plate (to replace vacuum advance can) so once this is installed, no mechanical or vacuum advance - locked distributor!
thumbs up

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 13, 2018 09:29AM

For reference, those lock outs are commercially available for regular GM V8 distributors, if you ever need them.I suggest some type of positive lock over the copper plates. The little studs have grooves in them for the springs. Some type of snap ring, maybe?

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.