Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clark's upholstery bucket seat cover installation help
Posted by: '66Monza ()
Date: June 09, 2018 09:06AM

To install new upholstery from Clark's you are to re use the wire from your old seat. I'm watching the videos from the 2013 convention on YouTube. There are two wires he takes out of the old seat that are hooked on both ends. I do not have these. I also don't see where you are to install in the new seat. I did put the very long wire around the base and two shorter zig zagged pieces in the rear and seat 'back corner'. I did not receive any instructions with my upholstery. Since it's Saturday I can't call there until Monday. Any help appreciated. Clark's upholstery install

Kurt
1966 Monza convertible
140 - 4 speed

Pittsburgh,Pa.
CORSA MEMBER
WPCC - Western Pennsylvania Corvair Club - 2018 National Convention

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clark's upholstery bucket seat cover installation help
Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: June 09, 2018 02:19PM

Are you talking about the hooked wires that go down through the seat bottom and hold the upholstery down into the cushion. I usually make new ones from new paper coated wire. The old ones usually rip out of the old fabric.

68 Monza Coupe Palomino Ivory 140hp 4sp
68 Monza Coupe Grecian Green 110hp 4sp ( daily driver 28 years)
65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG
1989 Gmc Vandura full of corvair parts

Grand Forks BC

Date: June 09, 2018 03:16PM

Yes. I am not understanding where this is to 'slide' in. All the other metal has that listing made into little tunnels that you slide the metal wire through. I'm assuming it's supposed to go somewhere with the white strip of material that has piping in it?

Kurt
1966 Monza convertible
140 - 4 speed

Pittsburgh,Pa.
CORSA MEMBER

Attachments:
Date: June 09, 2018 03:50PM

It slides into the white thin sleeve thats sewn in your picture. Then its Hog ringed to your bottom springs in a straight line forward/ back in-between the cut area on your bottom cushion. Its a real difficult job hogging them in. Took me about 4 hours each seat just to hog down, a couple times restarting. Hope your putting in new cushions to. I will look and see If I have any pictures on my computer.

65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG

Grand Forks BC

Date: June 09, 2018 03:58PM

Yes all new burlap, cotton, and seat foam. So, are you saying that it gets slid in WITH that plastic piping?

Edit: Yes any photos would be great. I pretty much figured this whole job was not going to be fun. I'm counting on a happy tush as my result.

Kurt
1966 Monza convertible
140 - 4 speed

Pittsburgh,Pa.
CORSA MEMBER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 04:02PM by '66Monza.

Date: June 09, 2018 04:01PM

This video Helped me Big Time when doing my 65 Seat upholstery. It should help with where those wires go.

[www.youtube.com]

If you need more explanation PM me your number and I can call you tomorrow. I have free Canada to USA long distance

65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG

Grand Forks BC

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 09, 2018 04:45PM

The metal wires go from front to rear in a loop in the bottom of the seat cover. These wires are pushed down into the slots between the side bolsters of the seat foam and the center portion of the foam that you actually sit on. These wires are hog-ringed in place from bottom of these slots using hog rings applied from under the bottom of the seat springs. With them in place your bolsters (the raised areas on either side of the center panel of the seats) will be defined instead of having the seat upholstery just flat (and loose) across the seating surface. Having these slots on either side evenly and nicely formed are absolutely necessary for the seat to sit properly and look right. There are similar attachments necessary on either side of the center panel of the seat backs as well. I have used suitable sized solid steel rod (around 1/8") from Home Depot to replace missing rods in the past. Bending hooks in the ends is necessary to help slide them in place as well as to be sure that there are no pointy ends to poke thru and damage the upholstery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 04:47PM by TerribleTed.

Date: June 09, 2018 07:07PM

Here is some more info. Hope it helps.
[corvaircenter.com]

65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG

Grand Forks BC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 10, 2018 05:28AM

[corvaircenter.com]

Did you look at this video as well?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: June 10, 2018 05:35AM

Thanks John, I will if I ever get to the back. If you look at my photo above where that heavy white material 'flap' is - I know that slides down thru the foam and gets hog ringed to the straight piece on the frame. Cal talks about listing being on that flap and that's where you slide the wire with the hooked ends. Same as the video I watched for the 70 GTO seat. As you can see, I have no listing there, just plastic piping installed where I would think you'd want a heavy wire. I'm quite puzzled

Kurt
1966 Monza convertible
140 - 4 speed

Pittsburgh,Pa.
CORSA MEMBER

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 10, 2018 06:00AM

It doesn't look quite right, send that pic to Clarks CS, see what they say.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: June 10, 2018 06:36AM

This is the piece that I'm thinking is not correct. I only have the plastic piping to hold the vinyl cover down onto the frame. There is no place to slide the hooked wire in here like I've seen Cal do at the convention video. (He actually says to slide it thru the listing.) Plus on the Legends video the guy does the same thing. My old seat didn't have the wire, and everywhere there was a hog ring installed the piping was broken.

Kurt
1966 Monza convertible
140 - 4 speed

Pittsburgh,Pa.
CORSA MEMBER

Attachments:
Date: June 10, 2018 08:37AM

Those are Clark's seat covers? Perhaps they have changed the design if they are. With those you need no wire. That heavy plastic line in your hand IS the "wire". Cram that down into the slots and secure it from the bottom of the seat with hog rings and you should be good to go. I have seen some other classic car repro upholstery made this way and it seem to work although I prefer the loop with solid wire through it as it pulls down more evenly. Make sure you use many hog rings on the plastic setup. You do not want large gaps between the rings. With the stiff wire this would not be as necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 10, 2018 11:15AM

YES, these are from Clark's. I think if that's the case I will be removing the plastic and installing my own wire.

Kurt
1966 Monza convertible
140 - 4 speed

Pittsburgh,Pa.
CORSA MEMBER

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 10, 2018 11:41AM

TerribleTed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are Clark's seat covers? Perhaps they have
> changed the design if they are. With those you
> need no wire. That heavy plastic line in your hand
> IS the "wire". Cram that down into the slots and
> secure it from the bottom of the seat with hog
> rings and you should be good to go. I have seen
> some other classic car repro upholstery made this
> way and it seem to work although I prefer the loop
> with solid wire through it as it pulls down more
> evenly. Make sure you use many hog rings on the
> plastic setup. You do not want large gaps between
> the rings. With the stiff wire this would not be
> as necessary.

I agree with Ted. In fact my original 66 seat covers had the same design as Clark's new covers - NO WIRE. They had the nylon cord. The cord and material is called a "LIST" by upholstery folks.

The factory used a powered hog ring detachment machine, even then it was hit and miss. My original seat had had TWELVE hog rings in a half inch of the list and only one hit the retaining wire on the seat. Using hand hog ring pliers for the list is difficult.

BTW - I DO NOT use hog rings on the upholstery list. An older upholstery expert showed me how to run a wire (quality wire) up around the list and back down. You twist the ends together under the seat to the desired list height. It's a LOT of work, but you can get a smooth even curve from back to front.

Date: June 11, 2018 02:49PM

66vairman Wrote:
>
> BTW - I DO NOT use hog rings on the upholstery
> list. An older upholstery expert showed me how to
> run a wire (quality wire) up around the list and
> back down. You twist the ends together under the
> seat to the desired list height. It's a LOT of
> work, but you can get a smooth even curve from
> back to front.

I have not done a set of 66 buckets. Earlier cars had a wire for sure. Maybe 66 never had a wire. I WOULD NOT try to remove the plastic line from your seat covers. I would use it as supplied. I really like this idea of heavy bailing wire for this. Would be more forgiving allowing adjustment to how much tension you put down into the bolster and easier to get in place than hog rings for sure. I assume you would install the wires around the listing while the seat cover is not on the seat and accessible leaving plenty of slack. Then you could push the wires down thru the slot in the foam and thru to under the seat as you positioned the cover and finally you could then twist the wire under the seat to desired tension and cut off the excess. Would certainly save aa tired wrist and a bunch of cussing while trying to get the dang hog rings to grab in the right place.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: June 11, 2018 03:10PM

I have left over insulation wires that hold insulation in the floor joists...they are real cheap and do not bend easily like a coat hanger...I will be using those in my two new interior installs....the 64 and the 66...they come in 16 and 24 inch.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 11, 2018 04:31PM

red monza Wrote:
> I have left over insulation wires that hold
> insulation in the floor joists...they are real
> cheap and do not bend easily like a coat
> hanger...I will be using those in my two new
> interior installs....the 64 and the 66...they come
> in 16 and 24 inch.

I would not use a wire that is too big a gauge or too stiff. It could twist the list. The wire size can be small and flexible, but it should be strong. You want a wire that won't break easily if it flexes. Easy to test my just doing a flex test on a piece.

Under the foam, over the springs I used the burlap AND a heavy strong sail cloth to provide support. The wire WON'T poke through so I use a scratch awl to puncture a hole to push the wire through on each side of the wire on the springs you attach the list to.

Date: June 11, 2018 08:01PM

66Vairman....the steel insulation hangers are thinner than a coat hanger. Of course they bend as they have to hold up the insulation and go between the joists but they bend in a straight line so to speak( a perfect arc) and spring back straight if you remove them from the joists...its like they are somewhat heat treated like a spring.

I like the idea of bending the wire around the springs like you did...may have to retire the insulation wires and go with a coat hanger...this will be my first attempt at re doing the seats...a friend who did his 68 vette seats will help me as I just rebuilt his quadrajet and I work on his 64 409 from time to time. I have the two corvairs to do and I am going to go look at a 67 conv 110 3 speed in a week or two...hummmm.

I told the folks at Clark's they needed a new video person...LOL...they are terrible interior videos. They have no idea about light...they told me it was Clark's wife that did the video. I said send her down here and I will teach her light 101. I studied light to the max to pass the Certified Professional Photographer exam of 152 questions that was on the PP of A exam. We got into fanometers of light, kelvin color degrees of light, etc....that put me in the Who's Who in Professional Imaging book that went to all big business's...and 1 of 28 in NC, 1 of 7 in Fla....I shot for Ford Motor Co twice by being Certified...Hate to ramble but I teach other photographers lighting and its so important to imaging you would think Clark's would do a better job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 08:10PM by red monza.

Date: June 11, 2018 08:19PM

By the way, the 67 I am going to see is an orig Marina Blue conv..love that color with black interior.

I saw somewhere that instead of burlap you can use a vinyl in its place...they have vinyl here for 4.99 a yard at a fabric place...any idea/thought about that?

Thanks...Jimmy

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.