Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: LM Internally Regulator Alternator Upgrade / SMALL Odyssey battery "Cranking" test!
Posted by: 65 Corsa Vert ()
Date: August 09, 2018 08:04AM

You are right. But is is a good place for some good weather and great top down driving. grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM Internally Regulator Alternator Upgrade / SMALL Odyssey battery "Cranking" test!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 09, 2018 08:07AM

I don't think with the alternator upgrade he did at the same time will ever have him draining the battery...

I ran a Walmart Garden tractor / 350 cca for years...never a problem with stock Alt.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 09, 2018 08:08AM

65 Corsa Vert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are right. But is is a good place for some
> good weather and great top down driving. grinning smiley

==============================================================

And we obviously have GREAT Mechanics! [ US ] LOL!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 09, 2018 10:02AM

I guess the real question is how much lighter is it when you include the bracket? If you aren't concerned about weight then what is the purpose?

Date: August 09, 2018 10:27AM

The bracket is aluminum and is very light, so there is a good weight savings.

Here are my reasons:

Weight savings(Odyssey w/bracket is less than 17lbs and normal battery is 38lbs)
Small size
I needed a new battery anyway
The price of the battery and the bracket was only a little more than the battery at Autozone (Odyssey and Bracket $179 delivered to my home and Duralast battery is $160)
I really like AGM batteries
I have been using one for about 5 years in SBC powered hot rod and trust the battery.
I have an Optima in another car and prefer the Odyssey battery

Date: August 09, 2018 11:04AM

I would try it for sure if I had to pay that much for a regular battery. I buy the Napa Legend. They are $127.99 and 30% off on Super Saturday.
WalMart 3 year free replacement is $119.76.

Date: August 09, 2018 11:09AM

Those are good deals. I ahve never shopped Walmart for batteries. Maybe I should.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 09, 2018 11:42AM

[www.walmart.com]

Everything from my motorhome to my lawn tractors

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: August 09, 2018 11:44AM

The WalMart batteries seem to be better than they used to be. One I have was dead the other day and the date code showed almost 7 years. It's on a charger now. If it comes back that will be a record for them.

Date: August 09, 2018 11:49AM

I've got 3 of Walmart's $48 1 year GUARANTEED batteries... free exchange if it fails in ONE YEAR... and you get a NEW 1 yr. Guarantee! Been close to 2 years on the first. 650 cca

Date: August 09, 2018 12:47PM

They used to renew the warranty on the 3 yr but they quit a few years ago.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 09, 2018 01:18PM

try taking them to a Walmart that doesn't have an auto center, got away with it twice.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: LM Internally Regulator Alternator Upgrade
Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: August 09, 2018 03:40PM

I used the Odyssey PC1200 battery in my coupe and in the trunk of my convertible. Got a real nice mount from Summit. I think it's 42AH. Works great!

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Attachments:

Date: August 09, 2018 08:28PM

Some WalMarts don't have auto centers but do sell batteries? I tried going after the auto center was closed but customer service wouldn't do it either.

Date: August 09, 2018 08:32PM

Batteries and common auto things are out on the floor...

Just diagonal from the door! long walk unless you limp and grab a Battery cart!!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 09, 2018 08:52PM

For interesting reading of who owns whom in the lead acid battery world see:

[jgdarden.com]

Johnson Controls makes most of the batteries sold by Wallyworld. Same people who make Optima batteries.

Interstate does not make batteries, just sells them.

I needed a group 47 today. Costco does not sell them, bought from Walmart, cheaper than anyone else around here and 3 year free replacement warranty, two more years pro-rated. NAPA Legend was more money and only 18 month free replacement, even though it says 72 Months right on the battery!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 10, 2018 04:42AM

On another tack, I've found it difficult to come up with an alternator support bracket I'm happy with, something like the stock one point to the other with a twist simplicity.

I wonder if I'm not an abstract thinker and then I wonder if it's an abstract problem.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 03, 2018 08:03AM

I wanted to give an update. When I did this conversion I used jumper wires at the old regulator harness. I wanted something that was a little more secure than that. I took the old regulator, cut everything out of the inside that allowed for continuity between the contacts. I then used small ground straps and connected the appropriate contacts together. This allows for it to look like the stock regulator is there but it jumps the wires together. Everything else seems to be working great. Alternator is charging well and the battery has been working just great, even when the lights are on and the radio going grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: October 03, 2018 08:11AM

I knew it would!~

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.