Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: LM Internally Regulator Alternator Upgrade / SMALL Odyssey battery "Cranking" test!
Posted by: 65 Corsa Vert ()
Date: August 09, 2018 08:04AM

You are right. But is is a good place for some good weather and great top down driving. grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM Internally Regulator Alternator Upgrade / SMALL Odyssey battery "Cranking" test!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 09, 2018 08:07AM

I don't think with the alternator upgrade he did at the same time will ever have him draining the battery...

I ran a Walmart Garden tractor / 350 cca for years...never a problem with stock Alt.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 09, 2018 08:08AM

65 Corsa Vert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are right. But is is a good place for some
> good weather and great top down driving. grinning smiley

==============================================================

And we obviously have GREAT Mechanics! [ US ] LOL!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 09, 2018 10:02AM

I guess the real question is how much lighter is it when you include the bracket? If you aren't concerned about weight then what is the purpose?

Date: August 09, 2018 10:27AM

The bracket is aluminum and is very light, so there is a good weight savings.

Here are my reasons:

Weight savings(Odyssey w/bracket is less than 17lbs and normal battery is 38lbs)
Small size
I needed a new battery anyway
The price of the battery and the bracket was only a little more than the battery at Autozone (Odyssey and Bracket $179 delivered to my home and Duralast battery is $160)
I really like AGM batteries
I have been using one for about 5 years in SBC powered hot rod and trust the battery.
I have an Optima in another car and prefer the Odyssey battery

Date: August 09, 2018 11:04AM

I would try it for sure if I had to pay that much for a regular battery. I buy the Napa Legend. They are $127.99 and 30% off on Super Saturday.
WalMart 3 year free replacement is $119.76.

Date: August 09, 2018 11:09AM

Those are good deals. I ahve never shopped Walmart for batteries. Maybe I should.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 09, 2018 11:42AM

[www.walmart.com]

Everything from my motorhome to my lawn tractors

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: August 09, 2018 11:44AM

The WalMart batteries seem to be better than they used to be. One I have was dead the other day and the date code showed almost 7 years. It's on a charger now. If it comes back that will be a record for them.

Date: August 09, 2018 11:49AM

I've got 3 of Walmart's $48 1 year GUARANTEED batteries... free exchange if it fails in ONE YEAR... and you get a NEW 1 yr. Guarantee! Been close to 2 years on the first. 650 cca

Date: August 09, 2018 12:47PM

They used to renew the warranty on the 3 yr but they quit a few years ago.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 09, 2018 01:18PM

try taking them to a Walmart that doesn't have an auto center, got away with it twice.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: LM Internally Regulator Alternator Upgrade
Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: August 09, 2018 03:40PM

I used the Odyssey PC1200 battery in my coupe and in the trunk of my convertible. Got a real nice mount from Summit. I think it's 42AH. Works great!

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Attachments:

Date: August 09, 2018 08:28PM

Some WalMarts don't have auto centers but do sell batteries? I tried going after the auto center was closed but customer service wouldn't do it either.

Date: August 09, 2018 08:32PM

Batteries and common auto things are out on the floor...

Just diagonal from the door! long walk unless you limp and grab a Battery cart!!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 09, 2018 08:52PM

For interesting reading of who owns whom in the lead acid battery world see:

[jgdarden.com]

Johnson Controls makes most of the batteries sold by Wallyworld. Same people who make Optima batteries.

Interstate does not make batteries, just sells them.

I needed a group 47 today. Costco does not sell them, bought from Walmart, cheaper than anyone else around here and 3 year free replacement warranty, two more years pro-rated. NAPA Legend was more money and only 18 month free replacement, even though it says 72 Months right on the battery!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 10, 2018 04:42AM

On another tack, I've found it difficult to come up with an alternator support bracket I'm happy with, something like the stock one point to the other with a twist simplicity.

I wonder if I'm not an abstract thinker and then I wonder if it's an abstract problem.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.