Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Part Wanted Carbs / Intake/linkage/ Ideas
Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: June 05, 2018 03:27PM

Hi Looking to change out a leaking center mounted 4 Brrl with no low end off a good running 140, to something different. 4 Brrl is 640 CFM, and is from 1971.

I would really like 2 newer modern 2 brrls, or 2 TB's with modern features, but still use all 4 of the 140's intakes.

Let me know your thoughts and what known available part could be used to make this work. I m ok with new, but will work with good used too.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Central MN

1968 Convertible

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Part Wanted Carbs / Intake/linkage/ Ideas
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 05, 2018 05:35PM

If you have the room buy an adapter plate and run a 350 cfm 2bbl

reman $135 no core
[www.ebay.com]

$19.99
[www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: June 05, 2018 06:20PM

Get a pair of stock carbs and linkages [or maybe Roger Parents awesome linkage]. Hook up the chokes and be done with it!

Posted by: chris ()
Date: June 06, 2018 06:14AM

There have been some who mount a Holley/Weber 5200 (I think) on each head. Clark's used to have a setup for that but it only fed one intake hole on each side. Not sure if you could find or make an adapter to allow each one to feed both holes. I think having all four holes open seems to help midrange, but that's far from scientific.

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: June 09, 2018 10:31PM

Too gigantic of Venturi & carb's CFM rating will usually kill low end.

In Minnesota it gets chilly in both April and October.
It isn't the same for someone running a center mount in Los Angeles, or San Diego, or Miami, Tampa, or even Jacksonville Florida.
Carb icing is likely during chilly weather.
THE OTHER HUGE ISSUE THAT YOU'RE GONNA HAVE IS THAT YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO REALLY GOOD AT FABRICATING AN EXCELLENT THROTTLE LINKEAGE. It seems routinely simple but that linkeage has to function perfectly each and every time,

If you're gonna try something with some carb, find something rated 390 cfm or SMALLER. You're gonna have to find something that can be jetted SMALL enough to work okay with CORVAIR's engine requirements. Make certain that the Venturi size isn't any larger than 29mm.............convert that mm measurement for the approximate INCH sizing.
There are quite a few carbs that might work, BUT IT WON'T BE A SIMPLE PROCEDURE OF JUST bolting it on or modifying an adapter to allow it to bolt on...
If you get too far outta wack with what a CORVAIR engine needs to function decent enough, then you just begin to have to "re-invent" everything and UNLESS you have significant experience in FABRICATION and MODIFYING CARBS such as someone with years of low buck oval dirt track racing or off road racing, etc.....you'll be screwed for about two to six months until you figure something out (the right combination..) that works decent enough. Now, having said that, if you opt to go the cheapest/free used piece of crap old carb that you can locate because it costs nothing, you WILL not find an acceptable solution because without REBUILDING/REJETTING/MODIFYING any such carb so that it is "tailored" more for the CORVAIR, than whatever hulk it was the original application for.
Nobody is saying don't Tinker and Macgyver if you want to. That is how all new alternative set-ups are born. If you don't know enough about what you're attempting to do, the chances are very great that your first attempt will NOT be an acceptable solution. You'll learn something possibly and might possibly through trial and error be able to dial in the carb's jetting and re-curving the distributor such that your combination is a WINNER. This assumes that the carb linkeage design is excellent and the carb itself is perfect functional order, and not some old, leaky piece of trash that hasn't been rebuilt to the highest quality standard.

THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS THAT MOST PEOPLE NO LONGER TAKE THIS TYPE OF CARB APPROACH. Why bother when there is a superb simple bolt-on solution that beats the best ever carburetor solution whether it is the factory oem carbs or any other alternative carb set-up. YOU CANNOT BEAT EFI. You can try but all that is going to do is waste your money and time until you finally see the light and realize for yourself that EFI is the way to go.
Various people have taken the aftermarket Centermount intakes and even the factory turbo crossover intake and used those to adapt some EFI set-up.
Think for yourself if you really want to or just purchase a superb design that just bolts on and is marketed by CLARKS, the world's best Corvair parts supplier.
Never say it can never be done, as time and again, folks here on Corvaircenter have come up with functioning set-ups that most folks said would never work at all. Depending on your current knowledge and dedication to learning the how/why and extensive study of others' successful set-ups, you might get there sooner rather than later or never at all.
I think there are significant reasons to eliminate the distributor, and the mechanical fuel pump, and the carbs and go with computer controlled efi/dis.
Perhaps you should read some of the many efi threads here and the comments/technical details/durability-reliability details as provided by those designers of EFI set-ups for the Corvair, past and present.

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: June 10, 2018 04:12AM

Another excellent option is the Weber 38DGES - 27mm venturi - 380cfm. Adapter plates available. Or a progressive Weber 32/36

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 04:18AM by kmart356.

Attachments:
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: June 10, 2018 07:06AM

Just get yourself a SBC Quadrajet and be happy. Small primaries means good drivability. The secondary top butterflies need to be cranked a little tighter but that is the simple solution. Even better than the Holley 390! You will still need a spread bore adapter for the Quadrajet.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: strangecars ()
Date: June 10, 2018 09:15AM

This one is for sale. $175 plus the ride

Forsale

Steve Morton
1961 Rampside, 67 and 2 1964 Monzas

Morton's Classic Garage
Parts and Service
Nampa, Idaho

Mortonsclassicgarage@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 09:15AM by strangecars.

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 10, 2018 11:27AM

If you had acted quickly, you could have had the 4 carbs and linkage for that measly $200. That was a great buy.

I have 4 140 carbs and all linkage I would consider selling. Carbs have to be rebuilt as they went through a hurricane and a long period of no proper storage. Linkage looks like new as I rebuilt and painted it.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 05:17AM

do what Ken/vairmech said the GM QJet will work the best for a center mount, J3m is correct on his words of wisdom also , the throttle linkage must work well to be happy. and FI is the best of all however expensive . if you go with the Qjet you will want the 750 cfm small block carb ,do not worry about going up in carb size the primaries are small and the secondaries are variable it will only feed what the motor will want

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: June 12, 2018 08:55AM

My dad put a Holley on our 68 140 way back in the 70s. The "linkage" was a cable that frayed and broke way too often right at where the bellcrank under the back seat exited the tunnel, and with the icing and other issues I was happy to go back to stock primaries only since the original 68 140 set was long gone. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.