Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Radio static issue
Posted by: mark60609 ()
Date: May 17, 2018 11:54AM

So I now have my original AM radio installed and ready to rock in my '64 Monza Coupe. It works, but has a lot of static. The engine is not ready for prime time, so it is not running as I am trying out my radio. I do have a condenser on the ignition coil and the generator and the left front wheel. If I ground the rear antenna (that is, attach a wire to it externally and ground it in the engine bay), the static goes away. Suggestions?

Thank you,

mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Radio static issue
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 17, 2018 11:58AM

Add the Ground wire permanently! You have a bad ground at the antenna's hole..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: May 17, 2018 07:06PM

Compare the signal to a small portable AM radio, maybe there is some dirty electric lines making for the noise. May or may not be your car radio problem.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 17, 2018 08:25PM

I'm confused.

Is this static with the engine not running?

What did you ground?

Condenser at the left front wheel?

Matt is right, the antenna base does need to be grounded. Usually accomplished by the "teeth" of the mount part underneath the fender digging into the fender. Rust here can complicate matters.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 17, 2018 08:34PM

Why I suggested the permanent ground wire!! gg

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 19, 2018 03:19PM

Thanks for your help, Corvair fans! To answer Frank, the engine is not running (yet!), and I do have condensers at left front wheel, generator, and ignition coil. I had just taken a wire and attached it the the antenna and grounded it the engine bay, which worked. I am in the process of creating a permanent ground for it now.

Date: May 19, 2018 08:25PM

I'm still confused on where a condenser would connect to a front wheel.confused smiley

A condenser is another name for the same electronic component called a capacitor.

[en.wikipedia.org]

With the engine not running, there will be NO spark plug noise, generator noise or voltage regulator noise.

What does a portable AM transistor radio operating near the car sound like? Same noise? What? You don't own a portable radio?grinning smiley

What you have described so far sounds like you are picking up static from a non-car source (unless you have an operating computer or LED lighting in the car) and shorting the antenna to ground prevents that noise from entering the front end of the receiver (and of course also preventing ANY wanted signal from entering).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 20, 2018 05:44AM

They are not recommended shorting the antenna (center coax feed) to ground, but the braided or foil that surrounds the center signal wire. Sometimes it is grounded at the radio, but not always. It is always grounded at the base of the antenna to shield electrical noise from being induced into the signal carrying wire.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 20, 2018 06:31AM

My suggestion would be to insure the grounding of the original clips to the back side of the fender as it was designed and try again.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 20, 2018 07:04AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My suggestion would be to insure the grounding of
> the original clips to the back side of the fender
> as it was designed and try again.

That's the way its supposed to work. The problem is with cars as old as ours there is often some rust and or corrosion with original grounding system. You can clean it and it will work, but it will go bad again if there was any rust to begin with. If you run a new short ground, you chances for long term success will be better.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 20, 2018 07:28AM

In my opinion, it is more likely that there is a poor ground at the radio itself. If the radio case is properly grounded, that should take care of any grounding problem for the antenna, since the antenna is supposed to be grounded at both ends.
Also, the static collector should be installed at both front wheels, however, in this instance, we will not know if this is going to be an issue until the car is put on the road. In the old days, static in radios was a common problem, and they sold a strap that you would bolt to bare metal under the car, and it would drag on the road, until it wore out, and you would replace it. Even to this day, on certain types of trucks, you will see a length of chain dragging underneath on the road surface, to create a path to ground or as the Brits call it "earth". This chain, or the strap would relieve static energy that was produced by the movement of the vehicle.
As a final note, with a radio that is 50 years old, plus or minus, the capacitors inside of the radio are also starting to fail, which will also effect the quality of the sound coming out of the speaker.

Date: May 20, 2018 02:48PM

Thank you all again for the tips!

To answer a question about the front wheel "condenser", I misspoke: it is called the "static collector assembly", part 7274745. See attached page from Clark's. Further, there is another "condenser" attached to the voltage regulator. Though in the 1964 accessories installation catalog, they are called "capacitors". I'll get this figured out! I want to enjoy my factory am radio with mono speaker!

Unable to add a scan of the capacitors, as it states file too large. It is on page 429 of the '64 accessories installation catalog.

Attachments:
Date: May 20, 2018 03:09PM

front spindle dust caps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 03:10PM by MattNall.

Date: May 21, 2018 07:39PM

Matt
front spindle dust caps

The brass "spring" inside the dust cap is the 'static collector".

Junk, I've never seen a strap installed under the car, dragging on the ground, for radio static. I HAVE seen them installed for dissipating the static charge that zapps humans in the winter. The chains under trucks are usually on fuel trucks, and the static is dissipated so when the driver puts the nozzle into a grounded tank, a spark does not occur. Same reason airport fuel trucks have ground wires with clamps that MUST be attached before the nozzle is inserted into a plane.

And I am fully aware of grounding the antenna base to the fender, etc.

But, what does ANY OF THIS have to do with static on a non-running engine non-moving car? What static?confused smiley

When I test a car radio on the service bench, I just stick a wire into the Motorola plug on the back of the radio. No ground, no nothing, and it plays fine. Or I just plug an old antenna into the Motorola jack, with the antenna laying on the bench or floor, no ground at the base. Any static I hear when the radio is on the bench is from outside sources, the house, electronic whatzes that make RF noise, even LED or fluorescent ballasts. None of these sources of static can be cured in the car, except by moving the car to a better location, away from the static source.eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.