home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Visualizing a paint color
Posted by: Intrinsic ()
Date: May 17, 2018 07:12AM

Hello

I am restoring a '61 Rampside and could use help in visualizing a Blue color from the range of original Corvair Blue color options.

If your Corvair, of any year or body type, is Blue and is painted in any of the original Corvair Blue colors; please send me a photo of the car and the corresponding color code or name.

Your can send a PM or reply to this posting.

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visualizing a paint color
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 17, 2018 08:33AM

Sort of hard to see color from a picture. IMO, cameras interpret colors slightly different from the actual color.

If you can, it would be better to go to a few Corvair car shows - national convention would be optimal.

Also, IMO second opinion; car color changes based on how the paint is applied - or how the formula is mixed:

Decades ago, I was at a Corvair convention and there were 3 Corvairs repainted Mist Blue including ours. They were 3 slightly different shades of color.

In our case, the body shop repainted the interior of our car - because the exterior shade did not match the original interior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 08:33AM by RobertC.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 17, 2018 08:40AM

I'd love to see a computer program that could change the color/shades of paint right on the screen. "Paint" program is too crude and erratic. Anyone know of one?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 17, 2018 08:54AM

Years ago I took a photoshop class. The whole color thing is complex. The first issue I ran into was how computers display colors differently. Then you get into how a light source changes how the eye perceives color. Light intensity also changes how the eye sees color.

I used a color that looked great on a vehicle in the daylight, but on a paintchip it looks unattractive.

As Robert C. said - go look at vehicles in the daylight and find a color you like.

Also note that some of the old metallic colors don't look the same in the new base/clear coat paint.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 18, 2018 07:40AM

When it came time to throw color on my Rampside, I had an idea what color I wanted to go with. But I also wanted to see how a medium Grey would look.
The simple solution was to google Corvair Rampside Pickup's and also the same but add the year. Go to Photo's. There are hundreds of examples of Rampside colors. This gave me a better idea.
I wanted a medium Grey. I selected 1965 Glacier Grey. It is a color I had on a 65 Monza many years ago.
I wound up with just the look I was after.

Corventue Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 07:41AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 18, 2018 08:41AM

Well, Dave's photos prove the points some of us made about photos and monitors.

To my eyes, the top photo is "more blue" than the bottom photo.

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: May 18, 2018 10:03AM

Silver blue original color (not original paint of course).

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: May 18, 2018 10:04AM

Indeed, Dave's shaded photo shows "blue" and the one taken in the sun is definitely more a silver gray - and there is a blue stripe on the pavement, so the camera has a decent color spectrum.
Photos are a guessing game, for sure!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:41AM

I had my original "garage" paint guy do test shots on 6" x 6" sheet metal squares. It was very illuminating. We definitely eliminated some blues with that exercise.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:22PM

Yep. That's one thing about Glacier Grey. Even outside, depending on the light, it can look Grey or Blue. The color flops. That's one thing I like about it.

But I agree. From photo's you can only get an idea. But at least that can point you in the right direction.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.