Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM and FC air cleaner retainer clip damage - a new remedy (I think)
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 16, 2018 05:05PM

After damaging the paint of one of the Firebrier air cleaners when installing the retainer clip despite the best precautions (i.e., positioning the clip over the air cleaner and then snapping the ends into their holes on the carb), I looked for a way to prevent this chronic problem. I tried several approaches (coating with rubber, etc.) that didn't work well; but I think I've come up with a slick and very elegant solution. [In light of the recent thread on social media gibberish and redundancy, I hope this idea isn't old news - I looked but didn't find it.]

I covered the retainer clip with heat shrink tubing.

This creates a plastic coating that minimizes the damage caused when the metal clip rubs against the air cleaner paint. This is standard neoprene tubing, which can be used at temperatures from -70oC to 121oC (250oF).

I used 4" long 1/4" diameter heat shrink tubing. Getting it on is a little tricky but not too hard.

Working it around the initial 90O bend it the most difficult part, but by pulling with needle nose pliers and feeding the tubing correctly, it will slide onto the clip. I might have used longer tubing if I had some.

It doesn't look very promising at first:

but after applying heat the tube shinks to conform to the metal retainer and all the kinks and folds disappear.

Nonetheless, I still apply the clip by placing it in position over the air cleaner lid and then snapping the clip ends into their holes in the carburetor.

I hope this idea may be of use to others.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM and FC air cleaner retainer clip damage - a new remedy (I think)
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: May 16, 2018 05:17PM

Were these clips originally bare metal or were they anodized or painted? I like your solution. Just getting ready to re-install them on my 62 Monza.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 16, 2018 05:18PM

I believe they were bare metal. I like this solution Steve. Some more nice work.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: May 16, 2018 05:27PM

Good idea Steve. I also hook mine on one side, then swing over and hook the other side because even with the shrink covering, sliding the clip into place can still scuff the paint.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: Monza109 ()
Date: May 17, 2018 09:42AM

Powdercoating my lids in semi-gloss black solved that problem too and it looks factory!

Date: May 17, 2018 09:51AM

Heat shrink tube is available in clear as well.

Clear Powdercoat on the bails works for me. thumbs up (the tops are black powdercoat, too.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: May 17, 2018 01:49PM

I did this to mine about 5 years ago and it holds up well,just a pain in the rear to get the shrink wrap on it.

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert
65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 18, 2018 07:32AM

Great tip Steve.thumbs up
I have also taken some of the bend out of these clip's so they hold the cleaner cover down fine to seal but not as severely or tight as some do.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.