Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT Social Media
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 16, 2018 04:54AM

Is social media a boon or a bust? Call this a pet peeve or whatever you want but I see people post here then go to 3-4 places on Facebook and then other forums with the same question.

What is wrong with that? Nothing if you know how to read the answers! I see so many answers to questions that do not even pertain to the original symptoms posted. It seems everyone has an answer even if it is wrong. Now don't get me wrong, I still learn something new everyday, even from here! But when you go to 5 different places to maximize the information you get you also maximize the non-relevant answers you have to weed through.

I have seen this happen where the correct answer is given early on but it requires a little work. There are several easy fixes given later in the posting and parts are thrown at a car without knowing what is really wrong with it and after putting the easy parts in you still have the problem! The person then has to go back and maybe undo some of the other work to fix the real problem that was just a little deeper than the easy fix.

As I have always said "Fix it Right the First Time!"

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT Social Media
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: May 16, 2018 06:02AM

I look at some of the other sites also but I find the information I get here to be correct a lot more of the time than other sources even on topics not related to a Corvair. Better quality of people too.
There is a Facebook group dedicated to putting LS engines in Square Body Chevrolet trucks that are very good at that.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 16, 2018 06:07AM

Facebook is the best place to go when you want guesses and wrong answers instantly. grinning smiley

Below is a typical FB request for help (Note: I added punctuation, capitalization and reasonable rules of grammar so it is readable by folks here).

I need to know how to adjust the carbs on my Corvair but I don't want to go look it up myself. I need someone here to take time out of their day to explain it to me step-by-step and you'd better not leave anything out. I need to do this now so if I don't see a reply in the next 5 minutes I'm gonna be pissed. BTW...I probably won't post back for at least 3-4 days to inform you what year Corvair and engine type I'm working on. Why is no one typing a reply yet?!!

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 16, 2018 06:10AM

I get everything thing Corvair I need right here.

Great people, even better prices, quick responses.

I lurk at corvairforum.com but rarely post there.

No other social media needed for me...none!!!

I'm not smart enough for a smart phone.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 16, 2018 07:25AM

Facebook Corvair pages are Hilarious! I am sure you have seen me respond to more than my share of wrong answer's given by those with no clue, My bedside manor has become non existent in most case's, I just flat out say "NO! That is Wrong!" I have even made a few of my own Meme's to combat the situation, But that said, the entertainment value is off the charts for guys like Us ken, I find the enormous amount of bad or wrong advice given popcorn worthy. smoking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: May 16, 2018 07:40AM

Social media has its uses but I do get fed up of the same questions. Largely bought about because the search facility is so bad.

Forums IMO are far better, albeit they do not enjoy the popularity they once did. In the Triumph world I largely post on 1 forum and very occasionally on Social Media. For Corvairs I post on here, another forum and I like to share pictures on Corvanatics Facebook. I generally don't ask questions on there, I use the excellent search facility on here.

This without doubt the #1 resource for Corvairs online.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: May 16, 2018 07:44AM

I use this forum 99% of the time, I will check the corvair forum, but just to see what is going on. NO Facebook for me! At this point I am more of a 80-20 guy, I take 80% and give info 20%, partly because there are many more knowledgeable than me here!

Thanks for all the good advice so far! thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: May 16, 2018 08:10AM

I enjoy the FB Corvair pages mostly b/c of the many photos that you won't see here. Accurate info? Not so much.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 16, 2018 08:28AM

Nickshu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I enjoy the FB Corvair pages mostly b/c of the
> many photos that you won't see here.
==============================================

That seems to be the Key Factor , the ability to upload any size / type of pic and FB "processes" it for you!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 16, 2018 08:46AM

SOCIALIZED MEDIA IMHO

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: May 16, 2018 09:27AM

I enjoy "Old School" Corvairs and Corvair Center Forum.
A bit of some of the others occasionally, but CCF is my favorite online Tavern. smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 16, 2018 09:44AM

I see most of you get it, I especially like Dave's response and that is typically me also! That very thing has happened to me more than once, post the correct way to find out what is actually wrong with your car then insert Dave's meme. I hate to say it but it has happened here also.

I generally will not do an answer on FB unless I happen to be the first responder, if two or more people jump in and post off the wall answers I'm done. I actually have left 3-4 Corvair groups on FB.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: May 16, 2018 12:21PM

I think its ALL GOOD....you get different view points....I usually type in Google what I am looking for or about....I get several options...Utube included....I find Utube to be very valuable...in fact I even watch Utube more than any other media to get my news, car info, and other info.

I have also asked my local corvair GURU for help, Rafee from time to time for his opinion...always helpful and I order or ask him for parts quite often.

Having BUILT 3 street rods from the ground up, doing 95% of the work, including sub framing GM clips, building engines, all electrical and even painting my 49 Chevy...I have had several folks offer me 30K for it....must have done pretty good. So, I sometimes give more info than I ask...all my car friends always ask me for my opinion or help. I do not give much info on here as many more know more than I know about some of the specifics. And it seems itis never appreciated when I do comment...so even though I know the fix...I do not give it more times than giving an answer.

The reason I would think there is bad info given, someone says their engine is missing...you would get many different answers here...one might be look under the other hood..ANY OF THEM COULD BE THE FIX....if the problem is so finely pinpointed...that is the problem... that is the FIX.....FIX IT !!! If someone says their headlight is not working....if you get "check the transmission" and you believe them...you are the problem, not the person who answers...you need to find a good mechanic and never rely on a BS answer.

And 8 out 10 times...it is something simple...90% of the time...a bad connection or battery when no power or clicking occurs...or if there is spark knock...probably better gas or timing will fix it...NOT TAKING THE ENGINE APART TO PUT IN THICKER GASKETS...GOODNESS....that is not a smart place to start !!!

Date: May 16, 2018 01:11PM

red monza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I do not give much info on here as many more know
> more than I know about some of the specifics. And
> it seems it is never appreciated when I do comment...
========================================================

Red!! Sign of the times! Do not take it personal!

Many times I'm the first responder... with the correct answer...

20 replies later someone says the same thing....

The OP replies that that fixed it and thanks the 20th poster!

I think it's the "Wording".....that makes the difference..

Now back to talking about "Social Media" and it's "characteristics.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: May 16, 2018 02:22PM

Thanks Matt....this is not the only forum where one is not appreciated...some on here do reply with " thanks to all"...check out EVERY post for help of mine...you will probably find it more than once to everyone....I do APPRECIATE THE HELP HERE...I just wish more would come back and say WHAT FIXED IT...its like reading a good book, you get to the end...and that chapter has been torn out...LOL

SUB FRAMING FOR EXAMPLE: On the ford shoebox site years ago, I used to tell them a 80" Montes front end was the correct width and worked great...nothing...then one day someone said S-10 front clip worked for them...it is way too narrow...but the first was a camaro front clip...way to wide...You would see all these 40's,and 50's, pick ups ect for sale...ALL OF THEM...CAMARO FRONT END INSTALLED(translation, tire and wheel will not go under the fender).Yazoo's don't listen from those that know....I do!!

On the 49-54 Chevy facebook, I try and convince folks the MII is way to narrow...I even show them my 49...the next post from them is I will order my MII tomorrow...LOL...the next thing months later..." What size rim will help fill out the wheel base on the MII"?..I used to tell them just buy extra wheel bearings with the wheels as you will need them...way to hard on the bearings not to sit close to the hub...LOL...like I said..."used to".

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 16, 2018 03:24PM

It is all pretty simple. Consider the history and expertise of the posting person, and evaluate the answer yourself. Keep in mind, it is not your DUTY to correct someone's wrong "opinion". If you wish to do that, feel free. Best to not come off sounding like an Assh***, but that is certainly up to you too. In my years on all social media, I have certainly learned whose opinion to value, and who to trust. Most valuable lessons in life cannot be learned overnight.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 16, 2018 04:05PM

Funny thing, I am a member of a Bounder RV group. A lot went over FB and the volume really went down. Some of the most knowledge guys never went over. There are now so few posts that many of the good guys only check in every few days instead of every few minutes. Now those who switched and can't get good answers on FB are complaining they can't get any help on the original site any more.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: May 16, 2018 05:45PM

Same on FastVair...although I feel the downfall started when we started letting anyone join... FB just finished the job.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: May 16, 2018 06:08PM

This is my site. I occasionally go to Corvair Forum, but the "crickets" noise, or lack thereof, after 15 minutes or so, annoys me! smoking smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 16, 2018 06:24PM

Sometimes what frustrates me is when a well respected expert gets their undies all in a bunch because their suggestion doesn't get excepted as the end all answer to an issue. Just because you're louder doesn't make you righter.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.