home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
emergency brake pulleys
Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: May 15, 2018 05:43PM

I have been working under the dash of my '61 Monza, I noticed one of the emergency brake pulleys is plastic (I think) and it doesn't look too chipper. I checked on Clark's they say all years use the same set up, they may have a used one. I have a '65 parts car, but I don't think I want to settle for pulleys only 4 years younger. Next thing, have any of you replaced the pulleys ? Are there any pit-falls in doing the replacement, and are there any up to date replacements ? Thanks for any help and or instructions . Larry Cooper

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: emergency brake pulleys
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 15, 2018 06:25PM

Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: May 17, 2018 07:05PM

Since I received no comments concerning replacing E-brake pulleys, only a message from a man who makes them to sell, I undertook an attempt to find out about the problem. I did remove the pulley which is located in the center of the forward bulkhead , just before the cable goes under the floor. I was surprised with what I found, I thought the pulley was in bad condition but what I saw was flecks of dirt and grease, the pulley is in good condition. I checked on the pulley on the steering column , it is good , and it is made of a different material than the one to the center. I believe the center one is of a composite plastic material and the other seems to be pure nylon. Removing the pulley on the steering column would be a nightmare, very little room to work , and there is a cotter key retaining it. I didn't look under the car for the other pulley but I figure 2 out of 3 is okay, hopefully the 3rd is good also. Maybe what I have written will be some help to others, hopefully your pulleys will be as good as mine. Larry Cooper

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: May 17, 2018 07:52PM

You can buy billet aluminum versions of the pulleys from Roger Parent, same guy who makes the ball bearing accelerator linkage kits. I have them in my Spyder.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.