Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need Help identifying an FC 4-speed Transmission
Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: May 15, 2018 08:23AM

I have a question for you FC experts out there in CCF Land; how do I identify a 1964-1965 FC 4-speed transmission? I think if there is no provision for a back-up switch it could be what I'm looking for. Here is a picture of the trans in question. There is no threaded hole for a switch in the trans case. Does that mean it came out of an FC? Is there any other way to verify what I have? Any suggestions would be helpful. Since I am a Caveman and any Corvair with more than 2 or 3 speeds forward must be a late model (1961 and up) I need your help. Thanks!! - Caveman Pete

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help identifying an FC 4-speed Transmission
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 15, 2018 08:29AM

Pete!!! ggg In our FAQ's under transmission....

[corvaircenter.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 08:32AM by MattNall.

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: May 15, 2018 08:38AM

Thanks, Matt for the link. After reading that it seems that this would be a 1961 FC 4-speed because the back-up switch location was not drilled and tapped. But, the input shaft that fits in the trans is the 1964-5 style that has a larger diameter than what a 1961 would have. Did the '61 FC use a larger diameter input shaft???

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 15, 2018 08:48AM

No, it did not. (61 is a late model? I guess my education is still on going.)
The 4 speed trans out of my 65 FC had a plug in the back up light switch hole just like the detent plug (shown in your picture).

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 15, 2018 08:57AM

Since there is no provision for a backup switch, it's definitely a 64-5 FC transmission.

One question remains: 1st design (carryover '62-3 reworked for 14-spline input) or second design (improved internal layout and strength).

Two ways to tell:
1) Remove front cover. look at clutch gear's hub. The bevel angle is the telltale. One is 30 degrees, the other is 45 degrees.

2) Open the side cover and look at the mainshaft layout vs a known car trans. 1st design will look just like a 61-3 trans and 2nd design will look just like a 64-5 car trans. The mainshaft layout (center between gear sets) is quite different between the two designs.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: May 15, 2018 12:23PM

Maybe you looked at the casting date code and or possibly the transmission serial number? The serial numbers appear
to me to be a date code themselves from what I have seen. That could help narrow it down I would think.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 15, 2018 09:34PM

That trans has a hole for a back-up light switch with a soft plug in it. The factory did that when the car or truck did not have back-up lights. Now none of the FC's had back-up lights, so they would all have that plug. I have heard of the early FC 4sp not being drilled for the switch but I have not seen one or a picture of one yet. So until I see one or a picture I will go with the idea that they all had the hole and some were just plugged. The other thing that has not been mentioned is that back-up lights were not standard until '66 so there would be a good number of '64-'65 car trans that had plugs in the hole. So what to look for, does it have a drain plug? If it does then it is probably pre '64. Now a drain plug can be added as the hole is already there (just plugged with a soft plug) but since it has an original style stifter seal the trans probably has not been apart or a drain plug added. To know for sure the side cover needs to come off and count the teeth. If there is no drain plug and 1st gear has 31 teeth and 2nd has 28 then it is a '64-'5 FC. The '64-'5 car trans will have 29 1st and 26 2nd. All pre '64 4sp's will have the same count as the '64-'5 FC except for the rare early '61 FC 4sp. With the cover off the way to tell if it is pre '64 or the stronger '64-'5 style is by looking between the 2nd and 3rd gears on the mainshaft. The early style has a flat roller type thrust washer that keeps the two gears apart. The '64-'5 style has a shoulder on the mainshaft approx. an 1/8" wide to keep the gears apart but yet solid so that they can't float around like the earlier ones can. That is the sure way to know what you have. The diff end of the trans can also be used to know which version you have. On the '64-'5 there are only the holes and casting holes that are needed for the trans to work whereas the earlier ones have a lot of extra casting holes. The casting holes do not really go thru the end of the trans but are cast in low points on the gasket surface. If you put the two styles side by side the end differences are easy to see.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: 66ragcorsa ()
Date: May 15, 2018 11:17PM

I was hoping Rex and Craig would chime in. They have both helped me get this one straight.

Steve T
Michigan
1966 Corsa Convertible
Photobucket

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 16, 2018 03:58AM

OK, That trans from what is said by Pete would be a 64-5 FC trans. The much sought after 61 FC transmissions I have seen did not even have the back up light hole drilled!

As far as back up lights not being standard equipment, how many 4 speed cars have you seen without back up lights? There were light blanks for early and late up to 65 but they were used mostly on 500's with three speeds. Anyone ever see a 66 style back up light blank?

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: May 16, 2018 06:58AM

Nope

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 16, 2018 07:07AM

Varismo wrote: "Maybe you looked at the casting date code "

Craig responds: The casting date is a good clue but doesn't really nail it as an FC trans.

If it's otherwise known to be an FC trans the casting date still doesn't help us with the all-important 1st vs 2nd design question because no one knows the date of the 2nd design changeover.

Another FC clue (excepting early '61): Side cover bosses for the throttle lever bracket are usually not drilled or tapped.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 16, 2018 07:33PM

In the picture there is nothing that confirms that it is an FC trans. That can only be done by counting the gear teeth. As for 500's with 4sp's and no back-up lights that is hard to say. There are 500's with A/C so some people put options on cheap cars. Also how does the number of '64-'5 4sp cars without back-up lights compare to the number of '64-'5 FC 4sp's. Probably not a real big number for either category. The reason you will never find the back-up light cover for a '66 and later is because back-up lights became standard equipment in '66 so GM did not make any. So Pete needs to take off the cover, count some teeth and post pictures so that we will know what it really is. It would be a nice find if it is a late FC trans. Craig's comment about the throttle pivot bolt holes not being drilled and tapped does not match the ones I have. They have been a standard case like a car would use only with the plug for the back-up switch.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 17, 2018 11:43AM

Ken
Anyone ever see a 66 style back up light blank?

There would be no need for GM to have produced a 66-69 back up lamp blank because the Federal safety standards made backup lamps mandatory on these models. Same requirement as an outside mirror starting in 1966.

A 1966 500 model with NO options would have backup lamps and a left door outside mirror.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: May 17, 2018 06:52PM

Hope we get a report back on whether the transmission turns out to be a 64-65 FC 4 speed or just the regular 4 speed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.