Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
PG trans additive
Posted by: corvbeam ()
Date: May 13, 2018 09:00AM

I changed the auto cable on my 66 PG last year since it leaked fluid really bad. Since then, on occasion, it is slow to go into reverse and at times does not want to go from L to H. If I move the shifter up to N and then back to D it shifts to high. Someone mentioned there is an additive you can add that may clear that up but did not recall the name. It has clean new fluid. Does anyone know what it is? or are there other ideas?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PG trans additive
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 13, 2018 09:10AM

Trans-X or Lucas Conditioner

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 13, 2018 09:15AM

Did you adjust the manual valve (shifter) when you installed the new cable? It may be "stopping between floors" rather than correctly applying pressure to the various shift positions.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 13, 2018 10:26AM

I am with Craig on this, seems you do not have the MV adjusted properly, In My Opinion there is no magic fix in a bottle for a PG not shifting properly.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 13, 2018 08:16PM

The fellow that I go to with any transmission problems, and has a great reputation for building race car transmissions, has always said that there is no "fix" in a bottle, that can't be solved with a total rebuild. The only thing that he does recommend prior to doing a rebuild when there are minor problems, is to try a can of Sea Foam, and if it clears up the problem, great. If not, he will tear it down and do a proper rebuild. He has shown me how other products will gum up the works, and make the rebuild much more difficult, which equates to higher labor costs.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 14, 2018 07:36AM

The MV adjustment Chevrolet determined to be NECESSARY after replacing the cable. You can make your own tool (I have heard).
Or I bought mine from Clarks.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 14, 2018 08:10AM

Manual valve adjustment isn't hypercritical and can be done without a tool.

With the shifter in "Drive", the head of the valve (viewed from the front) should be just below flush in the second support web as seen below.

First picture: Wrong valve position after cable replacement

Second picture: Correct valve position after adjustment.

Third picture: Loosen clamping bolt to adjust valve. (Shifter in "D")

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 08:11AM by cnicol.

Attachments:

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: May 20, 2018 11:57AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trans-X or Lucas Conditioner

I fix 90% of the automatic transmission problems customers and emails have with a similar product. They clean up the discs, and swell the seals and materials that have dried up over time. And safe to use in the diluted formulas they are sold as.

There is actually about 22 ml of good stuff in a 16 oz bottle.

I put 25 ml of the concentrate in my 60 transaxle to stop the leaks from once upon a time.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 20, 2018 12:20PM

I personally, don't like products that swell the rubber seals, because when that product is "worn out", and the seals start to shrink again, the shrink a greater amount than previous shrinkage, and you have a bigger leak. To me, these products are just temporary band aids on a problem, and you will have to do a complete cleaning of the old fluids to keep them from contaminating the new seals. In this case, a temporary fix is going to cause you more work and time, then if you were to replace the leaking seals originally. You may disagree, but this is just my opinion, based on my experience with products that are supposed to fix a leaking seal.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 21, 2018 07:55PM

I see both sides of this discussion. In the case of an automatic transmission, it is usually going to get torn down for a rebuild later, so no worry about old fluid with swelling compounds contaminating the new seals.

Now, if it needs just a torque converter seal or such, that can be easily replaced from the outside, YES, no swelling magic.

Great pictures, Craig!thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.