home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
My Old Spyder
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 12, 2018 12:55PM

While cleaning out some drawers, I came across some very old slides. Decided to look through them, and found some pictures of my first Spyder. This was taken in the spring of 1963. This started my love of the Corvair.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Old Spyder
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 12, 2018 01:18PM

thumbs upthumbs up
kids today have NO idea what "slides" are.
At best, they think it is a piece of playground equipment.
IF, the safety NAZI's in their town didn't already ban those too!

Thanks for sharing!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 12, 2018 03:22PM

Can't beat old slide scans. My two favorite 4 speed convertibles in the 60s, both fun but in different ways.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Attachments:

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: May 12, 2018 04:37PM

You bought your Spyder new?

What sort of repairs did it need the first few years from new?

Cool pics.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Date: May 12, 2018 04:43PM

Not speaking for Junkman , but my 65 Corsa was a year old with 12K miles when I bought from the OO, my neighbor. I had a regulator go and cook a battery, then pretty much bullet proof unit I lost a pilot bushing in 69.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 06:07PM by MattNall.

Re: My Old Spyder (1963)
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 12, 2018 07:01PM

All 5 US Royal tires had bulges on them within the first 200 miles, and had to be replaced. Synchronizers were replaced at 6000 miles, blown head gaskets a couple of times. Transmission and differential had to be replaced after the synchronizer job, since the mechanic failed to put enough lube into the 1st unit to go over the dam. Don't remember if it was the transmission or differential that got filled first. I got the car just after New years (1964), and the following July, it got rear ended, breaking the oil filter housing. The insurance company totaled it, and it was replaced with a 1964 Impala convertible. I loved driving the car, but it spent way too much time in the shop. One day I was stopped, waiting to pull out onto the highway, when an identical car went speeding past the street that I was on. When I got out onto the highway, that car had flipped over onto its roof, and everyone from school thought that it was me or my roommate, we both had identical cars. That one experience taught me that I shouldn't push the car to its limits. I still remember the rear wheels starting to come up, when the rebound strap would engage with a snapping action. I had replaced the straps a couple of times, since they broke frequently. Road salt and water would rot the cotton webbing. My roommates Spyder was constantly blowing head gaskets also, and had similar problems.
I resolved the cold weather shifting problems by using Kendal 80-90-140 Three Star gear oil, and added 2 ounces of Molybdenum disulphate (Moly). I read about it in one of the auto magazines. Back then, every auto magazine had articles on the Corvair, and the number of aftermarket accessories was endless. JC Whitney had about 6 or 8 pages of Corvair items.

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: May 13, 2018 03:32AM

So, pretty much worry free then. smiling smiley

That sounds like a lot of head gaskets. Makes sense that dealers would end up with one mechanic being the “Corvair guy” given the uniqueness of Corvair in the Chevy lineup and after warrantee repairs come back for prior workmanship issues.

I bought a project Corsa last year that came with lots of documentation that showed that the original owner had lots of complaints, calling for many trips to the dealer and many were never fixed to his satisfaction.

J.O., you still have the same car?

I bought a Chevy SS new last year and have so far changed the oil a few times and drive it pretty hard (as Holden intended).

Worth doing a thread to hear other experiences with new and lightly used Vairs in the 60s.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Date: May 13, 2018 05:40AM

> J.O., you still have the same car?

Yes it is the same car, I drove it the day my neighbor brought it home. He traded his 63 Spyder on it. I would have bought the Spyder, but was fairly sure I was about to be drafted. I was. I drove both cars a lot since I worked for him and the work Falcooon was broken more than running, what a piece of junk!

My cousin had a 63 Spyder, we changed a lot of head gaskets in that one. My bothers 63 Monza did well until it had the flywheel rivets come loose at about 40K. Then my brothers 3sp started to make a bad trans noise so we found a low miles 4sp unit in a junk yard. We went to change it out we found the noise was coming from loose lug nuts. He had snow tires installed and the shop never torqued them down. We put the 4sp in anyway and all was good.

JC Whitney eventually had an entire catalog devoted to Vairs. I think I still have some in book stash

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.