Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Energy Suspension
Posted by: Lalkie ()
Date: May 09, 2018 03:23PM

I am looking at replacing the bushing in the rear of my 65 corsa convertible. The problem is size of the original bushings. Does any have the sizes of the torque bushings for A arms and the strut rod bushings. Thanks Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Energy Suspension
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: May 09, 2018 04:09PM

I don't believe energy makes any bushings for the torque arm or strut rods. In any case, if you do replace those then you don't want a super stiff bushing as the sleeves inside those bushings have to twist during suspension travel and hard bushings will bind things which does not help the suspension to do what it was designed to do and puts added stress on suspension parts. Corvair underground carries stock durometer and stiffer than stock durometer urethane torque arm bushings and rebuilt lower strut rods with urethane if you want to go that route.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: May 16, 2018 09:16AM

I have the same need for my 65 monza convertible. One of my strut rod bushings on the driver side (inner bushing) is bad. I was thinking about just buying a rebuilt strut rod from Clarks. they sell them with the bushings already installed. and then return core for some refund. Would replacing the entire rod be easier on the installer than trying to install a bushing on these?

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 16, 2018 10:03AM

The rubber inserts that are sold don't work as far as I'm concerned. I did that once and they lasted just a short time before they slid out. The steel cased bushings are the best bet if you have a press and you do need to modify them to fit. The other good thing is the poured urethane bushings, I think they come in 2 different durometers.

If you want the steel cased bushings installed in the lower control arms I do that for you and the bushings will already be modified to fit. If you want just the steel shelled bushings I sell those already modified but not at Clark's catalog prices!

If you want a urethane insert bushing I can make those and they will be a 2 piece bushing but not many will like the price because it is labor intensive to make them.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: May 16, 2018 01:00PM

Thank you Nate -[www.corvairunderground.com]

Corvair Underground Inc
Lon Wall

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 16, 2018 01:23PM

Might not be your cup-o-tea but some of us here use aftermarket, adjustable C4 Corvette strut rods when it comes time to replace the strut rod bushings in our LM Vairs. While not a perfect drop-in solution, it's pretty darn close to it since you'll only need some extra hardware and 4 bushing washers. The install is reversible too.
[www.ebay.com]

Here's one of many threads about them.
[corvaircenter.com]

These have been on my wife's 65 4-door for 6 years now.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Date: May 16, 2018 01:33PM

Hi Ken: I am not mechanically inclined, so I would be requiring help from a mechanic/helper to help me work this repair. Please excuse my ignorance if I sound unsure -- I am referring to the strut rod rubber bushing located here in this picture -- as you can see it looks almost entirely gone -- i am unsure what you mean regarding the 'lower control arm' stuff -- thanks for your help and everyone on this site! I was looking to make sure I buy the right things to keep the repair/labor costs low and do-able.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Attachments:
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 16, 2018 01:40PM

corvairunderground Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you Nate
> -[www.corvairunderground.com]
>
>
> Corvair Underground Inc
> Lon Wall

Click on the link Lon just posted about two back. You will see pictures

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 16, 2018 07:37PM

I buy the Clark's bushings and install them this way:

Inner strut rod bushing gets the nylon C4604 bushings and the outer bushing gets the C4376. Yes, the rubber ones are a bear to install. Got to start all the parts halfway in with lots of liquid soap. The nylon ones are easy with a press. Well, compared with the rubber ones!eye popping smiley I see why Ken uses the metal shell ones and modifies the arm....

Not racing, just driving.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 17, 2018 05:45AM

I do offer a urethane lower control arm that is a bit different and it fits right in with no modification needed for install other than adjustment of course.

The part shown has urethane on one end and a heim joint on the other but can be ordered with all the same or the combo as shown. For the street I recommend the all urethane. The brackets are shown for demonstration purposes and do not come with the setup.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: May 18, 2018 07:54AM

hi ken, i only do casual street driving, so would like whatever provides the most comfortable ride -- how would the all urethane arms change/improve the feel of the ride, in your opinion? How much are they? Any notes/instructions for the installer, or any additional hardware needed?

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Date: May 18, 2018 08:10PM

For the worse. There are discussions on this forum about how all urethane strut rod bushings do not allow the rear suspension system to move like it was designed.

The "one end urethane" is a compromise for ride and not swelling the inboard rubber bushing with leaking Powerglide fluid and rear axle lubricant.

"Both end urethane" is for racing or other applications a casual driver does not need to worry about.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 18, 2018 08:20PM

Frank... you are talking about NYLON for racers...no longer used... I've got a set...barely used

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 19, 2018 04:08AM

The urethane is a bit stiffer but also helps control the rear camber a little better. As far as harshness you will never know the difference in the rear. The urethane does have compliance unlike the aforementioned nylon.

If your original hardware is in good condition you can reuse it and set the cam bolt in the center and tighten it down and adjust camber with the lower rod after it is sitting with the car weight on it preferably at an alignment shop. The urethane ends I supply are a slip in perfect fit with no extra anything needed. These are greasable and the pair runs $220 plus shipping. This is an upgrade from stock even a little better than the poured urethane stock rods simply because they are lighter and easier to adjust the camber. Also way better than the Corvette stuff offered because of weight and ease of adjustability.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: May 19, 2018 12:29PM

Sorry, eye to brain converted urethane to Nylon. Apples and cats again....grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.