Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: REPORTS!! CPF Museum Grand Opening! May 18th! Decatur, IL.
Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: May 20, 2018 06:44PM

Does anyone have the results of the show? I was there, but had to leave before the awards banquet.
Thanks

George O
🇺🇸 1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 20, 2018 08:36PM

What a great turnout for this once in a lifetime event. And I am not surprised.
A big THANK YOU to Mike Hall and the CPF for doing this.

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: May 21, 2018 06:41AM

Quicky Report on the Museum Grand Opening.

The Grand Opening of the new Corvair Museum on Saturday May 19 was a big success! A huge number of Corvair enthusiasts were there to commemorate this wonderful event.

CPF/CORSA President Mike Hall was the master of ceremonies and Pam Cole cut the red ribbon to commemorate the event. Pam's dad Cecil Cole hand-assembled the first production prototype Corvair way back in 1959 and then trained the folks on the assembly line. I don't have the statistics, but based on the size of the crowd, I'd say there were a couple hundred people in attendance. It was amazing to see them all pour into the museum after the ribbon was cut.

In addition to Pam, there were other notable people in attendance, including Richard Lentinello of Hemmings Magazine, Tom Keosababian of land speed record fame, and various CPF/CORSA officials including Paul & Mona Bergstrom and several members of the CPF/CORSA Board. Pam gave a speech about her father’s experience on the Corvair pilot line and Sonny Balcaen of IECO fame sent in a message which was also read at the ribbon cutting ceremony.

Many of the participants brought their own Corvairs and entered them in the car show in the museum's ample parking lot. The cars filled four aisles in the parking lot and all types and kinds of Corvairs were there. Notable entries included several senior-level concours cars, four mid-engine V8/V6 Corvairs, Mike McGowan’s immaculate Devin C, an Ultra Van and many others. Judging was by People’s Choice and the results were announced at the banquet on Saturday night. I don’t have the results at my fingertips as of this writing, but they should be ready for publication in a day or two.

Hats off especially to CPF/CORSA President Mike Hall, who was the driving force in making the museum a reality, CPF Publicist Eva McGuire, who got the word out to the entire Corvair community, Teresa Miller, who was our official photographer, and to the members of the Prairie Capital Corvair Association who arranged the banquet and managed registration for the event.

smiling bouncing smiley

Attachments:

Date: May 21, 2018 06:50AM

Message from Sonny Balcaen, IECO

The following message from Sonny Balcaen was read at the grand opening ceremony of the Corvair Museum. Sonny was the proprietor of Induction Engineering Company. During the 1960s and early 1970s, IECO offered a complete catalog of Corvair performance accessories which included several components of Sonny's own design, including the famous center-mount four-barrel intake manifold and trombone exhaust systems.

In my many years in motor racing, having worked as a young mechanic with cars from as early as the 1920’s, I have witnessed the evolution of the automobile. In 1960, I started IECO,Inc. I was interested in the Corvair for it’s rear engine design and independent suspension, a stark contrast to the domestic cars of its time. Inspired by Ferdinand Porsche’s designs that integrated his theories of rear engine design for both the Porsche and Volkswagen, I felt the Corvair was to become the “everyman’s affordable Porsche”.

I bought a red coupe in 1960 and designed and patented my induction manifold. At the time, I was also still working on the Formula One Scarab team with Lance Reventlow. The manifold was a great success and I saw a market demand for performance parts for the Corvair. A catalogue with further performance parts to enhance the car followed.

In 1965, when GM came out with a truly independent suspension, I felt the car had real potential to join the big league. The car would handle well in corners and accelerate down the straightaway. I had many imitators, but I succeeded at the time.

I applaud all the enthusiasts and collectors who contribute and keep the Corvair - an American Icon and part of our motor history - alive. My praise to all the devotees and hardworking enthusiasts! Congratulations on the opening of the new Corvair Museum!

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend the opening, but I look forward to a visiting in the near future.

Raoul”Sonny”Balcaen

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 06:54AM by Allan Lacki.

Attachments:
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: May 21, 2018 07:45AM

I will try and get the results of the show.

It was an awesome weekend...............lots of cars and trucks, lots of always friendly Corvair people, and the opening day was warm and dry, unlike the day before and the day after.

Every model of Corvair was represented and the display field was visited by outsiders/visitors as well as those attending.

Congrats to the people who made this possible and especially Mike Hall.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Attachments:

Date: May 21, 2018 10:51AM

And, if you're into Facebook, we have plenty more pictures at the Corvair Society of America Facebook page. Check-out the photo album at

[www.facebook.com]

grinning smiley

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 21, 2018 10:52AM

Lots of coming and going, I counted 55 Corvairs displayed in the parking lot. There were at least three late models that had a nose high attitude as discussed here.

[corvaircenter.com]

Great job by the host chapter, especially Mike Hall.

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: May 21, 2018 12:46PM

More pictures

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Attachments:

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: May 21, 2018 01:21PM

The event was awesome! Always nice to see everybody. Beautiful cars everywhere. The ribbon cutting with Pam Cole, she did a great job of telling the great story of her father who built the first pilot Corvair in 1959. No one yet has mentioned the unveiling of the Herst (sp?) factory custom Greenbrier and the crazy story that goes with it. Someone should post a pic and a condensed version of the story. If you didn't get to see it, you might get to see it in Pittsburgh.

We drove the 65 Monza Convertible 769 miles used 34.8 gallons which yielded a 22.1 MPG for the trip. I'm not complaining.

See you all in Pittsburgh!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 21, 2018 01:29PM

I'd heard rumors of a "surprise"

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 21, 2018 02:33PM

actually It was built for the GM Motorama and was later given to William Randolph Hearst!

As close a look as we get right now... foreground with sunroof

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 02:34PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: May 22, 2018 08:40AM

Photos of the special Greenbrier that was unveiled and on display at the Corvair Museum. Some here have a much better understanding of it's significance than I do...

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:28PM

Sorry I was not able to attend. Way more cars and stuff on the museum floor than when I was there last August.
Really a place worth visiting if you are any kind of Chevrolet fan.

Date: May 23, 2018 06:56AM

Dave Newell is in the process of writing an article about the Greenbrier show vehicle that Ed Cole donated to William Randolph Hearst. It's now owned by Patrick Skiver and Dave has done extensive research on it. Look for the article later this year - possibly November / December - in the CORSA Communique magazine.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.