Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Anyone Miss Manual Trans in their Daily Drivers?
Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: May 04, 2018 10:46AM

I've been driving since 1986 and had a manual transmission since 1994 for my daily driver until recently. I used to love the feeling of control and the somewhat uniqueness of it. Late last year I could tell that the clutch in my Mazda was getting thin and didn't want to drop close to $2k into a car that wasn't worth more than about $5k. It was also starting to rust and was a little snug for the new family that I had acquired. I bit the bullet and traded in the Mazda on a lightly used 2014 Honda Accord V6. The Honda is a 6-speed automatic and doesn't even have a manual mode. I always thought that I couldn't live without a stick shift but honestly I don't miss it at all. I had often thought that if I ever had an auto DD that I'd have to convert my PG Vair to a 4-speed. The car is too original to molest, but I now have no desire to do it anyway. Has anyone else given up their manual trans and regretted it?

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT Anyone Miss Manual Trans in their Daily Drivers?
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: May 04, 2018 10:57AM

I have converted 3 vehicles to stick. Two of those I drive currently. Since they are older 1998 Dodge Ram Diesel and 2001 Audi allroad as automatics in my opinion they were not good. As manuals, they have transformed into great vehicles.

I think with a modern automatic that has many more gears this would be a non issue.

I think driving style plays a big role in the auto vs manual equation. I drive spirited and like to rev an engine particularly with a turbo. The auto gets in my way.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 04, 2018 11:10AM

I have the last year 5 speed 2005 Rav 4, I will rebuild it when the engine expires.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 04, 2018 11:18AM

I want to choose when to shift (but I can live with an automatic if I have to).

Note: I also hog the remote control for the TV. grinning smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: May 04, 2018 11:55AM

I have an Automagic as a daily driver....but we also have a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen with a 5 speed.

Eric P.
DeWitt, iA

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: May 04, 2018 02:23PM

I've got both...
"Variety is the spice of life"!

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: May 04, 2018 02:45PM

I keep my 2008 Mazda MX-5 for the times when I want to drive a manual. Used to buy them exclusively. All my Corvairs are PG right now. I do like the 7-speed CVT in my new Subaru Crosstrek. I am sort of looking for a manual LM Coupe but I have enough projects right now.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: May 04, 2018 03:31PM

My daily driver Mustang GT has an auto and I love it. Occasionally I miss the manual, but all I have to do is drive my Corvair or wife's Miata for a quick fix.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: May 04, 2018 06:43PM

My 66 corvair monza is a 140hp/PG car...it runs extremely well after I rebuilt it. Some days I wish it was a 4 speed car...but most days I am very glad it is an automatic....I do wish ALL THE TIME...it had a 700R trans in it...2 speed could be improved on for sure. The 64 conv I bought to play with and then sell is a 110/PG car...runs good.

1949 Chevy Fleetline....its a built 283/700R auto car....do not miss it at all being an Automatic. It runs great...if I want to hear the rear tires spin...no problem.

1968 Corvette....L79 car...327/350hp, close ratio 4 speed..matching number car...the only way to have one...it shifts really nice and the mods made on the car when I rebuilt it in 1984 up the power to over 400hp....Banjo Mathews NASCAR shop balanced it and it spins really really fast.

My Nissan pu....the only way....Auto

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 04, 2018 10:13PM

Yes, I miss shifting gears something TERRIBLE!
while my DD 140 4-spd. coupe is laid up, I am having to endure the hardship of driving my DD 140 PG. Vert. grinning smiley
It is an awful burden to carry, not being able to shift gears is something I tolerate, but am solaced by the thought that I am privileged to Daily Drive a CORVAIR either way.smiling bouncing smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Attachments:
Posted by: Aaron65 ()
Date: May 05, 2018 03:47AM

My daily is a 2012 Focus with a 5-speed...this past winter, I considered buying a new turbo Camaro with an automatic so my wife could drive it, but didn't want to sink the money into a new car.

My Dart's a three on the tree, and the Corvair's a 4-speed, so I probably wouldn't miss it too much in a daily driver. For more than half my daily commute, I just put the Focus into top gear anyway.

1965 Corvair Monza Convertible 95 4-sp.
1965 Buick Skylark
1965 Ford Mustang
1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1963 Ford Thunderbird
1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 05, 2018 07:59AM

Chevy Cruise as of 2012 came in a stick, for 1000 cheaper.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: May 05, 2018 08:15AM

Miss Manual Trans...wasn't that Linda Vaughn?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 05, 2018 08:24AM

"Miss Hurst Shifter"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 05, 2018 08:27AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Miss Hurst Shifter"

Correct.
Linda was definitely NOT a Trans!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: May 05, 2018 09:48AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Miss Hurst Shifter"

Good one, Matt! thumbs up

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 05, 2018 10:01AM

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: May 05, 2018 04:13PM

I recently bought a new 2018 KIA SOUL. We went to eight KIA dealerships and the majority of them thought we might have been from Mars since we wanted a Manual and would not even look at any with an AUTOMATIC. We also wanted the gamma engine (smaller displacement-base model). We bought it from a KIA dealership that is 90 miles away instead of from the local KIA dealerships that either priced them too high or didn't have any.

Its getting to the point that other than vehicles like the SOUL, Honda FIT, NISSAN Versa Sport, that it is difficult to find a stick shift. My brother bought a new ACURA several years ago because they no longer offered the stick or didn't carry it in his area's Honda sedans and his requirement was leather interior and stick, so he had to go ACURA to get that in something built by Honda.
Anybody that still drives a MANUAL like Ford Falcon, or seventies era Ford Maverick/Mercury Comet with the three on the tree is beyond nuts....same thing for old Rambler, Plymouth, GM and Studebaker with three on the tree shifting. Heck most American car four on the floor shifting was AWFUL in the Sixties with some exceptions, the Corvair being one of those few exceptions. In most instances the horrible 4 on the floor shifting in most all Chry/Plymouth, AMC, GM and Ford of the sixties is reason enough to choose C4/C6 or TH-400, TH-350, or TorqueFlight Automatic instead of manual on those particular cars of that era.
There are a few exceptions and most of those vehicles are 1967 or 1968 and later vehicles from GM/FORD/CHRY-PLYM/AMC. Other than Corvair, there aren't any really decent shifting American made four on the floors before about the 1967 model year. Sure there are certainly dependable and solid Borg Warner 4 speeds that were seen in a great many vehicles prior to 1967 but to describe the shift linkeage and clutch feel as "good" is really stretching the truth.....one only has to experience a 1965/1966 Mustang or a mid sixties Stingray to know that.
The shifters and their linkeage/clutch feel in say a 1963 Ford Galaxie or 1961 Chevy Impala or other large car of that era is beyond horrible and nowhere near good on its best day. My fellow golf team-mate back in college bought a 1967 Impala convertible in marina blue with 4 speed and the base 327/or 307. He bought it used when it was almost two years old. It shifted much better than anything from 1965 or before. The damn craziest thing was that the car had a factory chrome plated steel Gear Shift Ball with the four speed pattern. It would BURN your hand if you touched it after the car had been sitting with the top down in a parking lot without trees or shade during MAY-OCT. He never changed out the chrome knob but always covered the knob with an old golf glove while the top was left down, otherwise in the summer, it would get too hot to touch. It makes you wonder who the dang genius was that specified Chrome gearshift knobs.....cool maybe to look at in a photograph but in real use, it is just beyond stupid. That was a nice car, his 1967 and it was extremely dependable and was a huge improvement in ride quality/steering/braking over the 1964 and earlier full sized Chevys and full sized Fords of 1964 & earlier, as 1965 marked huge improvements in both with new frames. Cars continued to evolve with better engineering in some areas even if the Detroit dunces were largely asleep at the wheel with overall product quality for many products for the next forty five years. By 1966 GM with the TH-400 transmission was building the best automatic transmission, equalled in quality/durability only by the Torqueflite by Chrysler. Even the lesser quality GM trannies and those from FORD from about the 1966 model year onward are durable enough for their prescribed applications that choosing the manual tranny option to avoid automatic transmission repair hassles became a thing of the past. The AUTOMATIC tranny in most all GM/FORD/CHRYSLER/AMC products from 1967 were reliable to bulletproof so that ended any need one might have had to go for Manual transmission for durabilty/longer life. That certainly was not the case before about 1965 or 1966. There were AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION REPAIR shops on every street corner in the commercial/industrial area of towns because most auto trannies weren't long lived or extremely reliable before that time, even though they had been in the marketplace since 1948/1949. It is odd in a way that right at the same time that AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS became supremely reliable, four on the floor manual transmission shifter linkeage/clutch operations began to improve somewhat. Maybe only the ITALIANS were offering 5 speed in about 1966. The Japanese would follow the Europeans and have five speeds by 1975 in transmissions that shifted with more precision than anything European. Domestically, GM, FORD, and Chrysler essentially gave up on manual transmission improvement before the Pinto and Vega arrived. GM's European operations, Vauxhall and Opel did continue to evolve the manual as well as autobox for smaller cars, as did Ford of Europe. The domestic big 3 offerings in manual trannies back then was horrible in quality and selection compared to their European subsidiary operations' offerings around the globe.
Today though when you can find said car equipped with MANUAL TRANNY, you need not worry about the shift quality as every domestic car today has it's best global engineering............it isn't like the days of PINTO VEGA, Chevy Monza, Olds Starfire, Pontiac Sunbird when it was absolute garbage compared to the quality of a Datsun B-210 or Toyota Corolla, or Mazda GLC.

Lets not even talk about manual shifting in American pickup trucks before 30 years ago. Quality was nowhere to be found and the big three didn't care about improving Manual shifting in pickup trucks as they had other much more serious self inflicted problems of quality/durabilty in every area of product development and products that were in the marketplace being about six model years behind the Japanese at that time.

IF YOU CAN FIND A MANUAL TRANNY CAR TODAY AT YOUR LOCAL DEALERSHIPS, THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH SHIFT QUALITY OR CLUTCH FEEL ON DOMESTIC AMERICAN VEHICLES AS THERE ONCE WAS, NOT TOO LONG AGO, WHEN THE BIG THREE MADE ONLY CRAP. I will say this that you've got to be extremely selective when choosing anything built and engineered by the big three in Detroit before 2007. Detroit built 2007 and earlier is largely garbage compared to all Asian nameplate makes from the same year. The Asian makes' engineering was light-years ahead better for at least forty years, and they still are second to no one, though Detroit is building quality products once again which are at least as good as the best quality of the better European makes. Manual tranny cars are even more rare than station wagons it seems. If you can find anything Detroit engineered and built from 2010 or newer, you have nothing to worry about as they are most all quality products. Finding a stick shift in anything 2010 or newer is tough to do.
With Asian make nameplates, you can go older than 2010 but you're absolutely crazy to do that with domestic cars or almost all European cars if you want a nice reliable automobile that remains trouble free and reliable beyond the 100,000 mile mark.........most Asian nameplates will provide 200,000 to 230,000 while Detroit and European makes drop dead at 110,000 miles. It isn't uncommon for Detroit makes of a dozen years ago to have severe problems before 80,000 miles. You have to consider the fact of whether you are buying a known piece of junk or not, and for many many years there was almost nothing worse than a car with a GM/FORD/CHRYSLER emblem on it that was engineered in Motown with few exceptions like Crown Vics and certain p/u trucks and certain truck based SUV's. Almost zero of those acceptable quality Detroit products of that time were made with manual trannies. Newer Detroit offerings do remain troublefree for many thousand more miles, better now than all the European makes and probably about eighty-five to ninety-three percent of what the Asian makes provide in total miles. That is a huge improvement over just ten or eleven years ago.
If you want a quality vehicle, today's vehicles are the best that the world has ever known. The good old days is just hogwash bull feces! Unfortunately more than a decade has past since the days when MANUAL was largely obtainable.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: May 05, 2018 04:38PM

Anybody ever meet this guy j3m? confused smiley
Would take me a Week to type his comments! eye rolling smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: May 05, 2018 06:15PM

I do know this....I can shift my 68 corvette with the M-21 Muncie close ratio without the clutch just like it was a clutchless transmission...no scapes, no long hesitations, etc....I have never adjusted the linkage in 45 years. It has an original GM corvette clutch and is very easy to mash the clutch in and it has NEVER slipped one time and I have given it many reasons to slip.

[www.youtube.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.