Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
β€œCORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Monza Tach? πŸ€”
Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: May 08, 2018 06:57PM

Greg, VERY slick!!!

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2006 GTO
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 11, 2018 11:06PM

Greg - Can you tell us more about the tach installation. Are you using the Sun Tach face? - numbers and gradations. Nicely done!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: May 12, 2018 07:07AM

Very nice tach upgrade, Greg.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: May 13, 2018 05:51AM

Yes please, more info! That looks outstanding!!

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 13, 2018 07:59AM

Back in the '70's, I did a dash with a tach from a (Vega variant) Buick Skyhawk with a V-6 engine. It was the correct diameter and fit flush within the Corvair instrument bucket. Only needed to take a flat sheet of plastic stock (from my model making stock) and trace the clock filler plug and tach attachments and plug pin locations onto a single layout. I then wired it up to use the stock harnesses, as the tach only needs the signal wire added (the other two connections come off the existing Corvair harness).

It worked like a champ, looked pure GM, backlit correctly, etc. I sold it a couple of years ago, and the new owner has since traded the car off, so no chance of any pictures.

-Mark

Date: May 13, 2018 09:17AM

Mark,
Here is a photo of the instrument cluster of a 1978 Buick Skyhawk:

Good luck finding a good one these days...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 14, 2018 08:09AM

Yep, that's the one I used. I DID say that I did it back in that time period.

Am also using that same steering wheel and horn button on my project car, but in brown, to go with the saddle interior. I reworked a '66 Monza horn button center to take the place of the Buick emblem, but will have to cut down the ridge on the lock lever to make it work (the button is too shallow). Will look din-o-mite!

Thanks for the picture!

-Mark

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: May 14, 2018 02:24PM

I posted a writeup on here a few years ago. I drew the design for it using AutoCAD. Unfortunately, I accidentally erased the file for it. I'm still mad about it as I put a lot of work getting it all lined up and matching to the factory gauges. I would have loved to sell the decals, or even ready to install tachs but it would be a lot of work to do it all over again. Interestingly, the numbers on the gauge face are not evenly spaced. I found this out when I printed an early version and overlayed on top of the Sun Pro.

I used a Sun Pro Tach and the mounting method that's on a Vair website somewhere. The face is actually a water-slide decal that's available from hobby shops. The sheets are blank and and can be fed into an ink or laserjet printer. My decal is mostly black with numbers. I removed the Sun Pro face and flipped it over. The back side of the face is brushed aluminum. The silver that shows on my gauge face is where the decal is clear and what you're seeing is the brushed aluminum. For the needle, I used one from a surplus gauge and trimmed the length.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.