home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
β€œPerformance
β€œCORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Monza Tach? πŸ€”
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: May 03, 2018 10:18PM

Monza Tach? Hmmm.....moving things around in the garage and came up with this.

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Monza Tach? πŸ€”
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 04, 2018 04:58AM

If you are looking to sell, I am interested.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: May 04, 2018 08:56AM

You can have a new one for $225:
[www.ebay.com]

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are looking to sell, I am interested.

Date: May 04, 2018 09:41AM

There you go!. Its an almost exact fit!
BTW... the one in my pic is a new tach that I had in a box thst I picked up about 5 years ago.
I. Just happened to be in the garage and bumped into the box..i opened it to see what was in it.
The monza dash was in line of sight and by eye it looked like it might fit.
So i pulled the clock place holder amd tries to fit the tach. On first attempt it looked like i was going to need to make some slight.mods. on second attrmpt i was able to pesuade the tach to fit. No.mods needed.
Almost an exact fit! The hold donw screw holes are off by sbout 20 degs and aligment tabs are out about 1/8 onch each. A little work with the dremel orva file, drill two new holes for tge sheetmetal screws and it will fit like it was made for the dash!

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 09:43AM by Marco_a_p.

Attachments:

Date: May 04, 2018 09:49AM

Never mind. I could use a one of my Corsa dashes to help out friend's Monza who wants a tach. Or mount one on the column.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: May 04, 2018 10:13AM

Marco, you have a good eye, excellent upgrade!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 04, 2018 10:21AM

That Tach looks like it says . . . .

8cyl.
12VDC

Is it going into a Crown car?

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 10:22AM by American Mel.

Date: May 04, 2018 11:44AM

edited

It does say V8 and is for V8. Not really destined for anything at the moment. I have a varied car history and have been flipping parts for over 30 years. When I'm at a swapmeet and I see a deal.... sometimes i just cant pass up.

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 11:58AM by MattNall.

Date: May 04, 2018 11:45AM

Man! I gotta proof read for typos! πŸ˜‚

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Date: May 05, 2018 05:57AM

AL - a Sun Tach works great when modified a bit.

I spaced it back to allow the instrument panel illumination to shine on the Tach face. Easy fit and looks great, IMHO.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: May 05, 2018 11:51AM

That SUN Tachometer that Dan (1966-GT...) posted is probably the best looking, matching so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. It matches percfectly and yet looks and functions better than any 1960's era TACH, .... and it looks better than any OEM domestic make tachmometer of the sixties era .

It does appear that Dan did black out the SunPro name from the face so that it does integrate so perfectly.

Perhaps Dan will share his trick for just how to open the housing and his method to black-out the white SunPro script from its face. Black permanent SHARPIE marker , perhaps??
Since Dan's Sun Tachometer integration into the LATE MODEL MONZA gauge cluster does appear to be perhaps the best candidate and certainly there are none that look better than Dan's conversion..........................perhaps Dan can provide the Sun part # for the specific tach and the black-out method???

People, this is the way to proceed. You don't want the unreliable trash-technology tachometers like the oem unit on the CORSA gauge cluster. Yes, the CORSA dash has a great overall look, even though gauge accuracy for most all the gauges is extremely poor...........it was after all a low priced SIXTIES ERA, stock American mass production automobile. The OEM tach might be as relatively accurate, or maybe slightly more so than the OEM speedometer's accuracy but the durability/lifespan of the OEM Tach of that era is very short when compared to the oem speedo or oem gas gauge. Quality was very low on OEM Corvair (GM) tachs as seen in 1965 compared to even the most inexpensive Taiwan/China aftermarket tachs of the past thirty years! Inexpensive 1985 and up, no-name stuff is highly reliable and accurate where pre-1970 original OEM American car (GM/FORD/CHRYS/AMC) is not. It simply is a matter of the way such tach were designed and built in the SIXTIES compared to the best aftermkt tachs of the Seventies which by 1985 or so that all the no-name knockoffs had copied and mastered such that from a functionality-accuracy standpoint that there was little difference. THOUGH THERE IS REALLY NO DIFFERENCE TODAY WITH RESPECT TO THE FUNCTIONALITY OF AFTERMARKET TACHS-----------I believe that one should give it a great deal of thought when CHOOSING the TACH, as unless you wish to have the appearance of junkmobile, you should BUY the TACH based on how well it MATCHES with your existing GAUGE set...........now if your car is a junkyard dog-Rust bucket with a matching RACOON chewed/scratched interior, any $7.99 free shipping tachmometer from a Chinese Ebay source will be fine, but if you're gonna do it where it matches nicely.......heck give it some serious thought and FIND SOMETHING THAT matches/integrates nicely.....even if that costs $23.99 free shipping from China or even oh my gosh $99 plus sales tax from Pep Boys.
Just saying, don't be such a cheapskate that you'd stick any sore thumb looking thing in there that doesn't match just to save three dollars. You wouldn't touch up your DANUBE BLUE colored 1965 Corvair with $0.99 FRED's Black Spray Paint or $1.29 WALMART/Family Dollar Black Spray paint, JUST BECAUSE IT IS INEXPENSIVE PAINT. Being the "smart" but frugal Corvair cheapskate, you would look at least at the inexpensive nail polish section that your wife told you about at Walmart/Target that might have a color that more exactly matches Danube Blue....even if that costs $4 because your idiot way of spraying the black spray paint onto an aluminum pie plate and then borrowing the ten cent artist paint brush from your grand-daughter's paint by number's set to touch up the knicks and chips, etc. JUST LIKE YOU WILL WANT SOMETHING THAT CLOSELY MATCHES WHEN DOING TOUCH-UPs, etc, YOU WILL WANT TO select a tachometer THAT LOOKS LIKE IT BELONGS WITH YOUR OTHER GAUGES!
Just saying: DON'T BE TOO CHEAP!!!
Be tidy with your wiring and take the time to do it right with quality wiring, and not with some dried up/hard, four hundred year old scavenged wiring removed from a 1958 Sears Kenmore washing machine.

------------------------------------------------------------------
YOU CANNOT DO IT ANY BETTER THAN THE WAY DON DID HIS TACH INSTALLATION!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: May 05, 2018 01:28PM

I don't know who DON is, but Dan's tach looks pretty good for an aftermarket set-up. thumbs up

I have one I picked up after a thread was done on installing a Sun Tach.
I just need to acquire one of those proverbial . . .
Round Tuits!grinning smiley

Date: May 05, 2018 07:33PM

To each his own. I like a stock look and something you dont all the time. A kind of GM coulda.
Like I said, i just happened to have the tach and eye balled it and thought i would give it a try.
My background is Camaro, Chevelle GM A body so a $100 for a tach is no sticker shock to me for a look im going for.

I ve been eyeing a Chevelle Knee Knocker tach for a possible install in my R/S. Many people go with the Spyder dash. It fairly easy retro fit, but i wan some thing different. Plus gagues. One day ill sit down and figure it out. Dont want to cut holes in dash.

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Date: May 06, 2018 06:59PM

Sorry Marco, I did not mean for that to come across as a Dis.
I do like your set-up!
It does look more "original" than the Sun Tach, it is just a bummer that it is a V8 tach.
Can they be re-calibrated somehow?

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 06, 2018 08:43PM

Under the white sticky, is likely access to a potentiometer which can allow you some discretion in adjusting the tach sweep. You may be able to approximate the 6-cylinder sweep. Many Crown builders did the same to their 6-cylinder Corsa Tachs. You are not instrumenting a dyno here.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 06, 2018 08:54PM

Also... in our FAQ's are the instructions on what to change.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: May 07, 2018 05:40PM

Here is another solution to 4/6/8 cylinder tachs that are not "adjustable" I bought a NOS early model Sun Super 4 cylinder, and with the adaptor, it sits on the column of my 65 GTO.

[www.ashlocktech.com]

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 07, 2018 05:59PM

Thanks!! Great tip!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 08, 2018 02:48AM

Dan:

Thank you for the Sun suggestion. It looks good in the panel.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: May 08, 2018 12:32PM

The Sun Pro tach works great when using a clock blank as a mounting base. That's what I used for my custom tach.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Attachments:
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.