Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
CRAP. Fire in the Spyder - gonna need parts sad smiley
Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: April 16, 2018 07:56PM

Yep. a fire. And it was my fault. I'm pretty pissed at myself right now.

So, I've been making really good progress on my goal to finish the car before my daughter's wedding this September (they want to use it as the get-away car)... and I'm close to having the under-body ready for paint.

Well, tonight I was fixing some previous-owner-brilliance (they cut the inner fender well sheet metal below the gas filler neck ostensibly to remove it at some point). I had straightened all the metal back out, but it's pretty thin and my wire welder was blowing through the metal, so I brazed it. apparently, some sparks found their way through the speedo cable opening and under the dash inside the car. By the time I realized what was happening, I had a fire inside the car.

At this time I would like to recognize the fact that I am in no position to criticize the intelligence of the previous owner.

I grabbed the garden hose and sprayed water everywhere I could behind the dash, under the car, behind the panels, etc. and I got everything put out. While I'm thankful their wasn't MORE damage due to the amount of smoke and flames, it did mess things up pretty good.

Fortunately, nothing besides the car (and my feelings) got damaged. It could have easily been a LOT worse. Surprisingly, I don't think any of the paint was damaged other than some interior paint on the front edge of the inner door and the A-pillar just above it... which are pretty easy to touch up. However, everything behind/under the dash is destroyed.

The near-perfect Spyder dash panel (original to the car) that I previously restored is destroyed, but it seems to have given it's life to protect some other parts like the simulated wood wheel I also restored. All of the wiring harnesses, the heater cables, the plastic pulleys, carpet, dash pad, etc. are quite literally toast.

Anyway, I am now looking for quite a bit of stuff to replace what I just lost. Please note that I'm not looking for charity or free parts, but if any of you have good/used/new replacements for the things I'll need maybe I can save some money without having to buy everything new.

Here are the main things I need so far (I'm sure I'll realize I need a lot more stuff later) :

-Spyder dash sad smiley
-Wiring harnesses (I'm not sure how many there are under there, I just started researching)
-Heater cables
-Vent Cables
-Fresh air vent plastic housing in driver side kick panel
-Fresh air vent control knob
-Driver side kick panel
-Driver side courtesy light and wiring
-Dash pad (I can paint it, so color isn't critical)
-Plastic pulleys for parking brake and clutch cables
-Headlight switch
-Various relays and switches (I just see a bunch of melted and charred ones)
-Light blue carpet set

Obviously, I will have to buy a lot of this stuff new, but if any of you guys have any of the stuff I need, please let me know. Also, I will be in Helen in a couple weeks if you want to bring it there smiling smiley

Thanks in advance.

needpart

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRAP. Fire in the Spyder - gonna need parts sad smiley
Date: April 16, 2018 08:01PM

Also, if anyone has any advice on how to remove fire smell/oily-stains/film/residue, please share.

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: April 16, 2018 08:09PM

Baking soda for the smell,I think I have a headlight switch,I'll look tomorrow.

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert
65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: April 16, 2018 08:37PM

Dang Brian that's terrible. So sorry to hear about that. I have a restorable complete Spyder gauge cluster, plastic pulleys (used lightly) and I may have a headlight switch. Shoot me an email and we can discuss.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: April 16, 2018 09:22PM

Dude, that really sucks! Unfortunately, the only Spyder stuff I have is a glove box door. It's yours if you need it.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: April 16, 2018 10:11PM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate any and all help smiling smiley ...even if it’s just moral support!

BTW, most of the stuff I need isn’t Spyder-specific. Some of it is EM convertible specific, but I’m pretty sure a lot of it is pretty interchangeable among othe EM’s, and some for all cars.

I’m planning to put together a more complete list with some notes on what needs to be specific to a Spyder, convertible, EM, etc... of course, many of you already know that better than I do.

Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: April 16, 2018 10:42PM

To get rid of smells, you can't beat the effectiveness of an ozone generator. I have used mine on several occasions to get rid of cigarette smoke and perfume odors in vehicles over the past few years and it definitely does the trick. Be aware though that too much time with the generator will damage plastic parts. I typically run the generator for no more than an hour at a time with a fan running for constant air circulation.

Ozone generators have been used by auto detainers for years to eliminate smoke and mildew odors quite successfully but, do your own research and use with caution. Besides removing odors, they also eliminate oxygen in the process so the interior should be well ventilated after use before entry.

Here is a link to the unit that I use. Again, use only as directed and at your own risk! They can definitely be harmful if not used properly.

Ozone Generator

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: April 17, 2018 05:45AM

Ill check my stash, you can have what you need for the price of shipping.

Ill check you list and let you know what I have.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: April 17, 2018 07:00AM

I have fresh air cable/knob, floor heater cable set, cables that go to the rear heater box , with a spare, various plastic pulleys, also a socket for the courtesy light.

I must have got rid of the fresh air vent box.

If you have a 62-3 I have a headlight switch, they are different than 64.

Let me know

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: April 17, 2018 07:08AM

WOW, Tom. that is awesome! Thank you.

Mine is a 64. Good to know they are different, I wasn't aware of that.

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: April 17, 2018 07:47AM

Unfortunately my headlight switch is '63,sorry I can't help you.
Buster

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert
65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Date: April 17, 2018 03:38PM

I appreciate the help so far, guys... Here are some more things I will need, if anybody has any of them:

-Turn signal switch
-Turn Signal actuating cables
-Brake light switch
-Heater resistor
-Power top circuit breaker
-Hi/Low beam switch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.