home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Has anyone successfully sealed the front cowl?
Posted by: Partinghand ()
Date: April 16, 2018 06:50PM

I've got water coming into the trunk and water leaking in under the dash.
Has anyone got advice on how to seal this up proper?

Also the water that is making its way down out the proper drainage is leaking out of the heat deflectors. The drain is not plugged underneath and the fresh air vent housings are sealed up good. There seems to be a slot where the water gets in. Is this common? Picture attached

Thanks

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone successfully sealed the front cowl?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 16, 2018 07:17PM

About time you posted!! Welcome to the CCF!

Are you sure the seam across the bottom of the cowl, accessible from top, is not cracked?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Partinghand ()
Date: April 16, 2018 07:50PM

Haha thanks Matt!

Yeah the seam looks pretty roached out. Doesn't look like anything has been done to it since it left the factory

Date: April 16, 2018 07:56PM

I've had 2 '64's... both leaked there...

Had to have a ladyfriend inside while I hosed it!! LOL!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 16, 2018 08:20PM

First thing to do is verify just where the water is entering. This may not be particularly easy. Try to run limited amount of water in different areas to hopefully isolate trouble spots. Next is removing as much old cracked, loose sealer as possible from these areas and then remove moresmiling smiley I have had good luck sealing up using brushable auto body seam sealer from the auto body supply store in these areas. After repairing any rusted areas by welding, and or rust neutralizers (POR15) as needed, I coat liberally with brushable seam sealer making sure there are no gaps and that water will flow out to the edges of the cowl to drain. Had another pro I know suggest sprayable catalyzed bedliner material after and rust repairs. If you have access to shutz type spray equipment and nozzles to allow access to all nooks and crannies I could see this as a good solution, but, have not used it myself due to access issues. (getting into some spots with the brushable seam sealer is no treat either, but I have managed to get it where I need it one way or another).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: April 17, 2018 06:46AM

Grind and weld up holes in trunk, grind and seal up seam between cowl and passenger floor, fix drain on passenger side trunk. Seal up flanges and sheet metal spot weld areas near heater vents.Drain holes are there to drain water. Don't plug them up.Por-15. Water takes the least resistance.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 17, 2018 10:25AM

There is a liquid vinyl that comes in spray and liquid. It dries in an hour or so and is then a sheet of vinyl. TV commercials for it show a boat cut in half and sealed with the stuff. I bought a can of spray and a small can of the liquid. Both worked as advertised. For it to stick, you will need to remove all rust as explained by others. Wire brush, weld, POR 15 or other rust convertor. Seems like they all leak there, EM and LM.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: April 17, 2018 11:09AM

That's FlexSeal available at WalMart $9 can.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: April 17, 2018 07:35PM

He has an EM.

In 2nd and 3rd pics, he shows the water flow path.
Is that large open notch above the drain hole an area that should have seam sealer preventing water flow?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 18, 2018 06:16AM

Just noticed what you last picture shows. If water is coming out from inside the heater outlets you issue for this leak is likely rust holes up high in the very corner of the windshield, or leaking door hinges (where they mount to the body must be well sealed), or a leaking windshield (gaps in the sealer along the pinchweld that the windshield weatherstrip sits on...or holes in this area). If you look closely at the way the car is constructed you will see that there is a steel vertical wall that should keep water from the cowl drainage area from getting to the heater box at the floor. So a leak from the heater outlet should be caused only by issues right near the rear corner of the windshield or in the hinge post or door opening proper. I had this type leak recently on a 62 wagon. I found 3 issues. The primary leak was a small gap in the lower left corner of the pinchweld that the windshield mounts to...and the windshield gasket not fully sealed. There was also a secondary small leak at the lower door hinge. I also found that the door weatherstrip was letting water through about 5 inches up from the lower front corner. This water ran down under the sill plate and into the top of the heater outlet cavity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.