Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
JUNE 2018 HEMMINGS CLASSIC CAR ARTICLE
Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: April 15, 2018 05:30PM

If anyone has the time, read the article "I was there" by Artie Finnegan, June 2018 (just came in the mail) publication. He says he was a mechanic for a Chevy dealership in early 60's and got stuck working on Corvairs. He describes the cars as needing valve jobs at 45,000 miles, stuffing tin cans in the cooling vent doors, blocking heat vents with cardboard and other non-mechanic type fixes. I seriously doubt he was a mechanic and more likely a oil changer. The only thing he said that was true is the oil leaks. At the end of the article he says he hated Corvairs and that's why he still has his 1930 Ford model A. I found his article to be worthless and tried to email the editor of the column only to see the email get bounced with a Mailer Daemon notice.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: JUNE 2018 HEMMINGS CLASSIC CAR ARTICLE
Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: April 15, 2018 06:22PM

Mike, I just finished reading that article and am surprised that HCC would publish it seeing that the editor (Richard Lentinello) is a big Corvair fan. You can email him and I plan to. This guy strikes me as a parts chaser not a mechanic. I would challenge him to drive his Model A 20 miles on an interstate at highway speeds like we can with our Vairs. EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: April 15, 2018 06:23PM

No way that Model A is more reliable or trouble free than a Corvair by comparison.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: April 15, 2018 06:52PM

Mike,Nick, just emailed Richard Lentinello voicing my dis-pleasure on allowing such an article to be published. I'll let you know if I get a response. EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: April 16, 2018 06:01AM

After I read the article, I wondered if "Artie Finnegan" really exists.confused smiley

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: irvan ()
Date: April 16, 2018 06:25AM

I guess you either like them (us) or you don't (him).

Date: April 16, 2018 06:27AM

I just emailed the editor at HEMMINGS Classic car and pointed out the false claims the Artie made and suggested to them that he likely wasn't a mechanic but more likely the oil change tech. I think Eddie may have nailed it with saying he was more likely a parts chaser. It never ceases to amaze me that so many who aren't familiar with Corvairs continue to bad mouth them without knowing what they're talking about. This article was flagrant. Worse yet, it was printed in a boba fide magazine like HCC.

64 Greenbrier
65 Corsa 140, restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: April 16, 2018 10:20AM

"Artie" sounds like some guys I've come across before. They were one time "want -to-be" auto mechanics that never could cut it and are still bitter over a Corvair that really kicked their butt years ago because they didn't really know what they were doing - or care to learn! Its human nature for some people to put down what they don't understand. I'm also a little surprised that HCC printed it.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 16, 2018 10:58AM

Dan is sooooo right!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 16, 2018 12:23PM

X2 on what Dan B. said. I used to see this in aerospace, tech's that could not master something new just bad mouthed it.

Hopefully a few Corvair enthusiasts emails regarding the article will make it into Hemmings letters and comments.

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: April 16, 2018 01:06PM

Maybe the editor found this humorous being a Corvair fan and thought it could direct attention to question ignorant "experts" assertions and well-worn misinterpretations of the car? If not, it sort of taints Hemmings credibility for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 01:11PM by JerryM.

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: April 16, 2018 04:38PM

I've talked with a number of Chevy dealership designated Corvair mechanics over the years. They all said once they learned how to work on them they enjoyed it. They were able to best the allocated time for repairs, thus made extra money in doing so. Of course, the people I talked to eventually became CORSA members, unlike the person that wrote the HCC article.

Wade Lanning

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: April 16, 2018 06:14PM

I found the article to be an interesting perspective. We can't expect everyone to be a Corvair fanboy.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: vwbusman66 ()
Date: April 16, 2018 06:46PM

I've never heard of failing radios.
My 47k mile 64 sedan still had its working original in 2017.

Yes, the valve cover gaskets got hard. Thus why GM called for them to be replaced when they were deemed "inadequate".

The valve covers were thin metal? The half dozen covers I have sitting in my garage are made of thicker steel than VW valve covers and the period (1962 ish) Ford Y-block valve covers sitting in a parts pile in the garage.

An interesting perspective, indeed.

-------------
James Keller
Kingsville, MD (21087)
In memory of Bob Helt 1930-2018

Posted by: leikec ()
Date: April 16, 2018 08:05PM

MonzaDave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found the article to be an interesting
> perspective. We can't expect everyone to be a
> Corvair fanboy.

True. As much as I wish it was different, there are some who just don't get Corvairs and don't like them.

But I still try to set the record straight (as gently as possible) when I overhear or read something about Vairs that is untrue.

Jeff C

1962 Monza Coupe --102 screaming horses...as long as I'm going downhill grinning smiley

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: April 17, 2018 09:22AM

Perhaps the above referenced letter is balanced by an article by David Conwill in the same issue, page 40. In it, he writes "Spend much time around them {Corvair owners} and you'll a.) wonder why you don't have a Monza in the garage already, and b.) wonder why anyone bought a Chevy II when the Corvair is such a wonderful car."

Expect to see your complaint letters in the next couple of issues, along with those of Chevy II owners complaining about how their cars were slighted.

I only pick up the magazine from the newsstands when an article catches my fancy, so perhaps someone can bring me up to speed. Mr. Lentinello at one time planned a Corvair book, but then was stricken with cancer. Has Mr. L beaten his disease, and has there been any further news about the book?

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 17, 2018 09:33AM

I just received the Hemming magazine and read the "I Was There" article by Artie Finnegan.

Frankly I think Hemming's staff showed a laspe of judgement.

I'm sending a letter to Richard Lentinello Hemmings Classic Car stating my displeasure and suggesting they admit publishing the article was a poor choice.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 09:35AM by 66vairman.

Date: April 18, 2018 06:38PM

Well everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, Artie didn't stick to facts.

1) radios in Corvairs were the same as those in other chevrolet cars and their failure rate never came up ever.
2) valve cover gaskets in 1961 were cork, not rubber.
3) cooling vent doors were fitted with adjustable link bellows and overheating was not much of an issue. I live in Florida and my first Corvair was a 62 4-door PG equipped model 700. Never overheated.
4) No mechanic worth beans ever stuffed a tin can in the dolling vent doors, never mind a GM trained dealer mechanic.
5) Out of 12 Corvairs I owned, only one needed a valve job but it was after 120,000 miles.
6) Almost all Corvairs leak oil, it lets us know we still have oil 😄

64 Greenbrier
65 Corsa 140, restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: April 18, 2018 07:11PM

The guy that wrote the article is, at best, a shade tree mechanic.... who barely knows which end of the wrench to hold.
drinking smiley
-Mark

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: April 18, 2018 11:04PM

I bet he (Artie) was also a "body man" who repaired rollover damage all the time too!

65 Crown Hardtop

Huntsville, AL

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.