Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 04:34AM

I got this car a few days ago and it's awesome. Has a 5.3 LS4 in it. Really fast and a blast to drive. Just have to take off the visors on the windows and then the ugly hood scoop this guy added and we're good to go. It will be my daily driver

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.


Attachments:


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: April 13, 2018 05:53AM

What year is that? I don't remember those. I recall a front-drive Impala SS in the mid 2000s. Is this the corporate sibling?

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: April 13, 2018 06:01AM

A rebadged Holden from Australia.

Wish Ford would have imported the last Falcon from down under.
4.0-litre inline-six turbocharged: 436HP, rear wheel drive

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 06:19AM

It's a 2006. They made them from 2005-2008 I believe. Yeah there was an impala and bonneville version too. Super fun to drive

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: April 13, 2018 06:23AM

Borrowed one of those for a first date a few years ago because my family needed to use my truck for something. That LS4 is plenty of engine for that car!

Super fun to drive!

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 13, 2018 07:02AM

I have the similar 2000 Grand Prix seats in my Corsa, front and back, they are very comfortable with very good support and fit well with only minor work of fab'ing new front seat tracks.

We had a 2000 Buick from almost new and we do live in the central midwest where they use salt. I did wash the chassis after a winter exposure, but that chassis, fuel lines and brake components of our BUick rusted/corroded way before it's time.
We never experienced any body rust, but underneath was a mess. It was also the only modern car we have owned that a front strut coil spring actually broke in half!

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 13, 2018 07:16AM

wv-geo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A rebadged Holden from Australia.
>
> Wish Ford would have imported the last Falcon from
> down under.
> 4.0-litre inline-six turbocharged: 436HP, rear
> wheel drive
It's not a rebadged Holden. The GXP is a Grand Prix based on the front drive W body.vtge Pontiac G8 was the rebadged and other styling modifications of the Holden Monaro

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 13, 2018 07:23AM

The GXP shared the LS4 5.3 with the 06-09 Impala SS, 06-07 Monte Carlo SS and the 08-09 Buick Lacrosse Super.

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: section89 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 07:28AM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wv-geo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A rebadged Holden from Australia.
> >
> > Wish Ford would have imported the last Falcon
> from
> > down under.
> > 4.0-litre inline-six turbocharged: 436HP, rear
> > wheel drive
> It's not a rebadged Holden. The GXP is a Grand
> Prix based on the front drive W body.vtge Pontiac
> G8 was the rebadged and other styling

> modifications of the Holden Monaro


the Pontiac G8 was based off the holden commodore, which was the sedan model
the Pontiac GTO was based off the the holden Monaro, which was the 2 door/coupe


nice GXP by the way



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2018 07:29AM by section89.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 13, 2018 08:00AM

section89 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gnvair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > wv-geo Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > A rebadged Holden from Australia.
> > >
> > > Wish Ford would have imported the last Falcon
> > from
> > > down under.
> > > 4.0-litre inline-six turbocharged: 436HP,
> rear
> > > wheel drive
> > It's not a rebadged Holden. The GXP is a Grand
> > Prix based on the front drive W body.vtge
> Pontiac
> > G8 was the rebadged and other styling
>
> > modifications of the Holden Monaro
>
>
> the Pontiac G8 was based off the holden commodore,
> which was the sedan model
> the Pontiac GTO was based off the the holden
> Monaro, which was the 2 door/coupe
>
>
> nice GXP by the way

I stand corrected. Regardless, the GXP is a W body

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 09:34AM

Thanks guys!! I love it

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: chris ()
Date: April 13, 2018 10:54AM

Another interesting fact about these is that (from the factory) they had larger front tires than the rear.

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: April 13, 2018 11:16AM

That's going to be a lot of fun when you get done converting it to rear-engine air-cooled power.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: April 13, 2018 11:23AM

chris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another interesting fact about these is that (from
> the factory) they had larger front tires than the
> rear.


This gives some detail:

[www.caranddriver.com]

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: April 13, 2018 01:28PM

FWD cars can get a bit scary from a stop - my 2012 Impala (300 hp six) is squirrely with too much throttle.
But once rolling, it is just fine!

Your trans may be a weak point - is it the 4-speed or 6-speed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 13, 2018 03:12PM

jmaechtlen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FWD cars can get a bit scary from a stop - my 2012
> Impala (300 hp six) is squirrely with too much
> throttle.
> But once rolling, it is just fine!
>
> Your trans may be a weak point - is it the 4-speed
> or 6-speed?


I dunno, my 385hp '66 Olds Toronado never made me nervous coming off the line with both front tires smokin!
That thing only went where you pointed it.
Torque Steer?
Not in that boat!

.
-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Posted by: chris ()
Date: April 13, 2018 08:38PM

The GXP's had the 4 speed 4t65E (HD version). Originally they were rated up to 280 lb/ft!

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.