home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LM rear disc's
Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: April 07, 2018 07:26AM

good morning all

read something in the past about rear disc brakes for a LM that used a caliper with the parking brake in it

please send me in the right direction

Thank you

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM rear disc's
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: April 07, 2018 07:57AM

PM Michael Leveque (Mlevair) for info and pricing on his LM rear disk brake kit.

I installed the kit on my recently sold 69 convertible.

At that time, he supplied the longer e-brake cable and specifics for obtaining the S-10 rotors and Eldorado calipers.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: April 07, 2018 08:06AM

LeVair is your best bet. Around $300 for brackets and cable I believe. You supply your own calipers and what not.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: April 07, 2018 09:05AM

thank's guys will reach out to Michael

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 07, 2018 09:55AM

The rear calipers you are looking for are from an 1985 Cadillac Eldorado.

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: April 07, 2018 11:39AM

Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware - Cadillac Calipers. They are a pain to use. (I have done it). Below is from a Toyota conversion web site. This is about the calipers only, not someone's Corvair kit!

'76-'78 Cadillac Eldorado Rear Brake Caliper with E-Brake
'76-'78 Caddy El Dorado rear brake calipers have an e-brake built-in. We haven't found these to work very well but they might be your last resort.
These are usually a terrible option - let's get that out of the way! The most common disc brake caliper that goes on the back of a Toyota axle is the one from a Chevy Monte Carlo or similar. There are tons of aftermarket disc brackets floating around for these because they are cheap and relatively easy to adapt to a Toyota axle with Chevy truck brake rotors. The '76-'78 Cadillac El Dorado also uses a similar caliper, but it has a cable-operated e-brake built into it.
It would then appear that you can get a rear disc with e-brake that will bolt onto any aftermarket disc conversion bracket, right? Well, sort of. These calipers are notoriously difficult to adjust and most normal folk get frustrated with them and do away with the e-brake operation. They are extremely expensive compared to the Monte Carlo's if you buy remanufactured or new calipers, and you probably won't be impressed with the quality of the rebuilds - this is money better spent towards another e-brake solution. They are available new, and we'd go that route if we had to use them.

You'll need to come up with some custom cabling back to your rear axle, and you might need to try some sort of force multiplication system in order to exert adequate pressure on the calipers. This could be either a pulley system between the factory pull-out e-brake handle and the calipers or a new pull-up style handle mounted to the floor. Either way, you'll need to do some engineering and spend some money to get this working properly.

Also, if this doesn't work you'll end up with two calipers that no one else wants! While e-brake calipers would probably be the best solution to get back the parking brake on your Toy, we don't yet know of a caliper/rotor combo that will work and be cost-effective.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 07, 2018 12:23PM

I agree with Seth, they are a pain but most kits seem to use them. Levair has the brackets for them and I believe he can also supply a custom made e-brake cable that works with the Cadillac calipers. Good luck!

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 07, 2018 12:33PM

While the Cadillac rear calipers will freeze up if the parking brake is not used the key is to religiously use them. Why? The parking brake is the caliper adjustment! These calipers are not self adjusting. The parking brake HAS to be actuated to adjust for the pad wear.
If you never use the parking brake then you get a low pedal and other issues. I can't tell you how many rear calipers I have changed on Cadillacs because the owner never used the parking brake.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: April 07, 2018 03:45PM

I've never had much desire for rear discs although I love my front discs but while reading through this thread I had a thought and wonder if anyone has tried this for e-brake. Design a mechanical caliper independent of the regular caliper maybe mounted 180 out, would just clamp onto the same rotor, maybe something similar to a bicycle brake that squeezes onto the rim when the brake handle is squeezed.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: April 07, 2018 04:56PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While the Cadillac rear calipers will freeze up if
> the parking brake is not used the key is to
> religiously use them. Why? The parking brake is
> the caliper adjustment! These calipers are not
> self adjusting. The parking brake HAS to be
> actuated to adjust for the pad wear.
> If you never use the parking brake then you get a
> low pedal and other issues. I can't tell you how
> many rear calipers I have changed on Cadillacs
> because the owner never used the parking brake.

So True.

jeff

66 Corsa 140 4 spd
Houston, Tx

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: April 07, 2018 05:39PM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
> Caveat Emptor -

Got a grin out of that Seth, didn't pay attention to the author and though David Herrin has returned.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: April 07, 2018 08:39PM

Dave is still around - He wanders by at the fan belt toss each year.

Seth Emerson

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 07, 2018 09:19PM

Dave is also semi-active on FB groups

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 08, 2018 05:26AM

Has anyone tried the rear calipers from a 3rd gen IROC Camaro? I know those had 16" rims, but I'm curious if anyone has paired them with S-10 or other discs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 08, 2018 05:38AM

PressurizedPancake Wrote:
> Has anyone tried the rear calipers from a 3rd gen
> IROC Camaro? I know those had 16" rims, but I'm
> curious if anyone has paired them with S-10 or
> other discs.

The 3rd gen F bodies used the same iron rear calipers as mentioned above up to about 88-89. Around that time they went to the aluminum PBR single piston calipers similar to the rear calipers used on the C4 Corvettes. The pads are way too small for the back of the Corvair. The 4th gen F bodies used a similar caliper but without the parking brake mechanism (they went to drum style parking brake inside the rotor hat).
I have been playing around (not ambitiously at the moment) with rear 4th gen F body components (rotors and parking brake hardware) but will probably use larger calipers such as the same C4 dual piston PBR's I currently have on the front.

Lee J

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: April 08, 2018 08:02AM

Just sharing what I did a few years back. Started with Wilwood 140-6293 kit and ordered blank backing plates. Fabricated a spacer and had a new ebrake cable made.
Not cheap!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 08:02AM by solo2r.

Attachments:

Date: April 08, 2018 10:39AM

Note - The 4th Gen Camaros used two different rear disc systems, neither one has the capacity for the rear of a Corvair. 93-97 used a caliper with an integral parking brake. Those have been tried and removed as ineffective. The 98-2002 used an internal drum with a separate caliper as a regular rear brake. The system Mark shows should be very effective, especially since Wilwood offers several different sizes of pistons in that same caliper. I believe Dave Clemens is offering these in kit form for the lates. Bring money - Wilwood is quite proud of their hardware. (This is not a knock on Dave, the purchased hardware is expensive)

Date: April 08, 2018 10:45AM

By the way, Wilwood offers a stand alone mechanical parking brake caliper, their MC4. You could probably start with one of these and attach it in the appropriate location. As a further note, the Cadillac Caliper has the exact mounting bracket and location as the standard GM Metric caliper. When I removed the Cadillac calipers, I installed Standard GM equivalents. I am looking at the MC4 Wilwood as a parking brake add-on for my race car, which currently has no parking brake.

Seth Emerson

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 09, 2018 07:05AM

I used the S10 metric caliper setup on the rear of my car. The only place it would fit is with the caliper straight up, in line with the spring. It's tight there but works. I used the Leveque brackets. With that setup, you will need to have the hubs machined so the S10 rotor will fit over it properly. For that, the hub assembly must be disassembled. No easy task.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: April 09, 2018 09:20AM

Bob - It is possible to machine the flange and the shoulder without disassembly. I would only suggest that if the rear carriers had been recently rebuilt. If the carriers had not been recently re-done, the pain of taking everything apart for the discs, might as well check the bearings/seals.

Seth Emerson

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.