Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Early convertible tranmissiom mount question..
Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: April 03, 2018 04:19PM

Hi guys,

Question, going to replace the transmission mounts on my 63 convertible. I can see the nuts for THREE of the four bolts, but can't see how to get at the one on the drivers side of the car. How do you get a wrench..or a hand or even a finger on the one in front nut???

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Early convertible tranmissiom mount question..
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 03, 2018 05:01PM

Some use dist wrench and some (me included) modified an open end wrench. A pain no matter what tool you are using.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 03, 2018 07:03PM

If you have a good way to support it you can remove the crossmember mounting bolts on the left side and slightly lower the left side to gain a little more space if you have to. I generally do not bother and simply cut that one bolt out from the bottom. Fiddling the new bolt, nut, and lock washer in place is very annoying but can be done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 07:03PM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: April 05, 2018 04:46AM

Ok I spent a good amount of time yesterday, trying to figure out how to get at that nut!! From what I see there is no access. I've read about the bent wrench..I see no way to snake it in there. Is it possible the convertible body is different??

I was able to get the bolt out but the nut didn't stay in place and has disappeared in there somewhere.

Help!?

Thanks!

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 05, 2018 08:24AM

The clearances in that spot are the same convertible or not. It is very tight. Wrench heated and bent near 90 degrees right near the end can work. The last one I did I lowered the crossmember a bit but that was easy to do at that point since the powertrain was not in the car. You can lower the crossmember a little even with the powertrain in place. Vehicle must be up and supported on lift or jackstands and a suitable jack must be under the suspension crossmember on the left side to hold it up when the bolts holding it to the car are removed. You may need to loosen the bolts on the right for it to move better. This provides perhaps another 1/2" of clearance. The powertrain I assume is already loose and lowered in the front to clear the mount. Removing the trans mounting bracket from the trans should have already been performed as well for more access. You could I suppose cut a section of the rear body steel away from the inside under the seat to provide access, but, I have always found a way to do this without cutting the floor up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Discgolferman ()
Date: April 05, 2018 06:22PM

I take a crowsfoot wrench and set it on top of the bolt and then start wrenching from below. It will catch on the frame and stop the bolt from spinning allowing ya to take the nut off.... Its worked for me a few times.

64 spyder vert 4 speed *not running*
64 spyder coupe 4 speed *not running*
63 500 PG*running not moving*
62 Rampside 3 speed*this baby cruises*

Dave

Modesto

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: April 06, 2018 05:15AM

Discgolferman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I take a crowsfoot wrench and set it on top of the
> bolt and then start wrenching from below. It will
> catch on the frame and stop the bolt from spinning
> allowing ya to take the nut off.... Its worked for
> me a few times.

I did this when I replaced mine this winter!

Worked just fine!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: ranger372 ()
Date: August 09, 2018 06:51PM

Search will sometimes help. Thanks. I could not figure how to get that hidden bolt at the transmission mount on a '63. My first thought was a bent wrench, but decided to go to search first, typed in "transmission mount" (maybe I was missing something). Someone suggested a crows foot, this did not work for me. Someone suggested lowering the suspension to gain access, sounds like a lot of work and could open up a can of worms for one pesky bolt. So I bent a box wrench, first attempt: bend was to close to the box, second attempt: 3/4" bend from the center of the box, about a 75 degree bend. I was then able to get the box onto the bolt head, but because of angles of steel the the box kept slipping off when applying pressure to a ratchet on the nut below. finally applied vice-grips to the to the end of the bent wrench and applied a lot of pressure to keep the box on the bolt head, my wife then operated the 1/2"drive ratchet. The nut come off very slowly due to rust.

Thank For 'Search"
Steve D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.