Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Removing steering wheel.
Posted by: Horndoc ()
Date: April 02, 2018 01:59PM

I need to remove the steering wheel on my 64 700 sedan to replace the signal switch. Nothing seems to break it loose, not pullers, nothing. Heat would be dangerous with all the plastic parts. Can anyone suggest anything other than cutting the wheel off?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing steering wheel.
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 02, 2018 02:25PM

I hope you have turned the nut back onto the end of the shaft to protect the end of the threads. If not do it now, stop nut flush with the end of the shaft. Then with puller in place and tension applied strike the end of the puller bolt with a med size hammer. Not hard as if you were driving a spike into a railroad tie but a couple of firm hits. Then try a bit more tension on the puller. In most cases the first time is charm and the wheel will pull from splines. If not try again and as stated just firm taps not trying to smash anything.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 02, 2018 02:57PM

Are you aware that your '64 turn signal switch is NOT under the steering wheel? The mechanical bits that cancel and operate the cable are there but the cable-operated electrical switch itself is screwed to the outside of the steering column, roughly above the brake pedal.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 02:58PM by cnicol.

Date: April 02, 2018 03:09PM

Thanks Steve and Craig. I haven’t picked the car up yet. I sold it 3 yrs ago and am buying it a second time. The seller says that there were some strange crunching sounds coming from inside the column and the signals stopped canceling. He says that the directionals eventually just stayed on all the time so he removed the flasher and was just using hand signals. He has been trying unsuccessfully to remove the wheel. He just said that pullers didn’t work.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 02, 2018 03:23PM

"Crunching in the column" is a good reason to remove the steering wheel - that's what they sound like when the mechanism is turning into hamburger.

Loosen and remove wheel nut AND washer

Replace wheel nut and thread it on until it's about 1/8" from the hub (i.e. loose)

Install puller so pulling bolts are well into steering wheel. 1/2" is good.

Tighten puller's central bolt against steering shaft. Something between "good and tight" and "really tight".

If that doesn't dislodge wheel, try giving the puller's central bolt a good rap with a BFH.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: April 02, 2018 04:40PM

Sounds like a plan, thanks guys!

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: April 02, 2018 05:00PM

Crunching sounds would mean more of a steering column bearing problem to me, but of course could be anything loose.

Craig is right on.

For those who don't have a puller (like me), I loosen the nut up to the top, slide my seat forward til I can apply upward pressure on the wheel with my knees at the column/spokes.

Then put a ratchet extension against the shaft and give it a good whack with a hammer.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Tom Turbo ()
Date: April 02, 2018 05:30PM

I had to take the wheel off my '63 several times to repair the turn signals. It turned into one of the most tedious job I have done. Getting everything "in sync" can be a bugger. The other guys are right....tighten the pulller, rap. Tighten the puller..rap. When it pops off it will come all at once.

If it don't go, chrome it!
Stroker McGurk, 1961.

Date: April 02, 2018 07:06PM

There is a trick that I used many times to ease the burden of removing the steering wheel. When you install the wheel puller, make sure that the bolts that thread into the steering wheel hub do not bottom. If they do, back then off about two turns. Then, tighten the center bolt as usual and rap on it like you usually do. Tighten again, but this time after rapping the center bolt, tighten one - only one - of the bolts that go into the steering wheel. This usually distorts the steering wheel hub enough so that it breaks free of the splines. I've found it to be quite effective.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: April 02, 2018 07:09PM

If you don't "have" a puller, look around a Corvair guys garage. A piece of thick strap steel and a drill press + a few bolts and you are there.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 02, 2018 11:25PM

Use penetrating oil to soak the shaft. Buy a puller. You will use it more than you think. They are not costly and make the job easy. $14.99 on Amazon, Link below. I use an impact wrench and that puts enough force onto it to pull it off. Be careful and top out the nut as suggested, it may "blow" when it breaks loose. Don't be close to it! Then put anti seize on it before you reinstall it.
[www.amazon.com]

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 03, 2018 09:11AM

horndoc - you said --- "He has been trying unsuccessfully to remove the wheel. He just said that pullers didn’t work."

It sounds like you haven't tried yet. One thing I ran into a long time ago was a buddy who didn't make sure the threaded puller bolts were in evenly so the puller was "tilted" off to the side. Just would not work for him.

I aligned the puller and the wheel came off easily.

Just something to consider.

Date: April 03, 2018 07:13PM

66Vairman,
I haven’t tried with my puller yet. I haven’t picked the car up yet. Hopefully this week depending on the weather.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 03, 2018 07:45PM

Seth
A piece of thick strap steel and a drill press

But, Seth, I cannot get the drill press into the car!eye popping smiley

Ha! I know what you meant, drill holes in the strap for the bolts.

Now,if you weld a strong back to that flat strap, then you have a puller!thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 07:45PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: nscrdv ()
Date: October 07, 2018 03:19PM

I’m having a similar battle - I’ve had the steering wheel off before to rebuild the upper turn signal parts, but something. Slipped up there are the signal cable only moves with a right turn indication. Switch below is not the issue.

I got the “loaner” kit from Advance, but all it has done is bend the puller bolts and strip out the puller bolt hole threads in my steering wheel...

Just ordered the puller suggested from Amazon, but with the pulled threads, am I already “screwed”?

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 07, 2018 04:26PM

nscrdv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m having a similar battle - I’ve had the
> steering wheel off before to rebuild the upper
> turn signal parts, but something. Slipped up there
> are the signal cable only moves with a right turn
> indication. Switch below is not the issue.
>
> I got the “loaner” kit from Advance, but all
> it has done is bend the puller bolts and strip out
> the puller bolt hole threads in my steering
> wheel...
>
> Just ordered the puller suggested from Amazon, but
> with the pulled threads, am I already
> “screwed”?

Are all the threads in the steering wheel stripped, or just maybe the upper portion? If there is a chance that the lower portion of the threads are still good, maybe some longer bolts will get the job done.

IF the threads are completely stripped out as it sounds that maybe they are, you might consider drilling out the holes and tapping the next size threads into the wheel.
If you go that route, I would strongly suggest the fine thread instead of coarse thread option.

I am thinking the stock thread is likely a 5/16-18 thread so the next size up would be 3/8" so I would suggest tapping for 3/8-24 threads instead of 3/8-16 since the fine thread would offer more surface area for the bolts to pull on.

You of course would need to be very careful drilling and tapping for a new size bolt and not drill or tap to far and possibly damage whatever is just beyond the wheel it's self.

I am just offering up this as a suggestion. I have never had a need to do this since I have been fortunate enough to never find myself in the position to need to do such a thing.
I can't guarantee it will work, or that it is even a good idea, or possible to do successfully, but it is if nothing else...food for thought.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: 7004doorL ()
Date: October 07, 2018 06:22PM

If I may suggest when the steering wheel does come of,
set it on the floor and not on the seat,
there might be huge prongs sticking out on the
back of the steering wheel which
operate the cancelling device.

Mike
1960 4 Door

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: October 08, 2018 06:40PM

I've had some success in the past by just loosening the center nut a ways up the shaft but not off. Then I plant my feet firmly on floor pan under the pedals and grip the wheel firmly at right & left. While pulling toward you rock the wheel right to left. The rocking action will often break it loose without a puller. Doesn't always work but worth a try.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.