Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: More Interesting Trivia! confused smiley
Date: April 03, 2018 07:18PM

Checked some of my cars.
Found the retainers in the 1965 Corsa Coupe.
Nothing in several more....
Then, Found one in my 1965 Monza Sport Sedan!

Very thin rubber.

Rub marks are from the A/C hose that passes right by it and probably protected it.
One of the drivers side is missing the rubber cone.

This inserts from the bottom, held in by the three clips

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: April 04, 2018 01:13PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike, in our FAQ's

Thanks, I just thought I'd looked everywhere.smileys with beer

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: April 13, 2018 10:09AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike, in our FAQ's

Just got around to looking at FAQ and following links. The closest I came to was a 65 Assembly Manual.

Anyone know of a 66 Assembly Manual link?
I did not see in the 65 the drain valves mentioned by the OP.

Thanks,

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: aircooled6 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 10:46AM

I always thought those holes were there for those times when the upper grill area was a foot deep in snow and no air would get through, then at least there would be a little bit of free-flowing air for the fan and carbs. That was just me thinking, something that often gets me in trouble!

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
(Now, South of 820!!)
64 Greenbrier 110 with 95 heads/PG

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: April 13, 2018 03:34PM

Some of the more ominous words: "But, I thought . . ." Almost makes me look over my shoulder. LOL Cannot count the number of times I've said that exact phrase only to realize I either didn't think it out too well or I just actually just thought I knew.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 13, 2018 03:39PM

What I found out just over 1 year ago... that's where the rodents get in!

I RTV'd wire mesh over them... not one field mouse!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: April 13, 2018 03:44PM

I have been following this thread and I ordered a set of those "boots" and retainers.

I installed them on my 66 and all is good.

But just a note, I would suggest, since those retainers will get a lot of water, paint them before installation.

Fit was good, good part for the money.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: April 14, 2018 12:58PM

OK, with good weather the past couple of days I started working on the "rear window" of my '67 4-door Monza! With the new tool, I removed the Trim from around the window and got my first shock!! eye popping smiley

It appears the PO knows less about body work than I do (but I do learn quickly fixing other peoples goofs!)! The window is glued in place tightly (the first test is to see if any part of it moves when you press on the inside of the glass) but the 'seal' around the window was not good. I was able to clean it up and pull all the clips that hold the trim.

Most of the clips are in bad shape, so off to the local NAPA store I went. They 'list' the correct clip in their catalog but they don't stock it! There is one very similar (a little wider, listed as GM) so I bought a bag of those. Hopefully they will work when I get to that point. confused smiley

I am disappointed in my local NAPA store because they don't stock a lot of older parts. That is probably "MY" problem, expecting them to stock 50 year old parts 'just in case' Dale comes in for Corvair parts!! sad smiley

Anyway they only had one tube of Permatex Windshield sealer and I used all of that at the top of the rear window, with a little down the sides. I waited an hour and then tried the 'trickle test' with water. It now runs down the OUTSIDE and does not get Inside. Small progress. I want to get another tube and do the sides and bottom before I re-trim it.

The trim is a mess because they didn't remove it before they repainted the car. More grunt work. drinking smiley

I was able to Prime the 'air intake manifold' today. I will clean the trim while waiting for the paint to dry. Once I get the trim clean and the painting done I will finish resealing the rest of the rear window and reinstall the trim.

After I get the 'air intake manifold' painted (primed, then flat black) I will finally get to install the 'valves' that started this whole list!

THEN I will get to clean and redo the inside of the rear window, which is a mess!!! I "hope" to get this done by April 21st, which is the Circle City Corvairs "Corvair Birthday" outing. smileys with beer

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.