Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Awake from slumber (with a misfire?)
Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: March 31, 2018 02:34PM

Hi guys, I got my Corvair all warmed up, and after a long period of clacking lifters they finally pumped up and away I went. The car seems to idle fine but under load it is certainly showing a steady misfire. I did the old "palm on the carb" trick and there was vacuum on both sides for sure...but furthermore how do I determine which cylinder/wire/plug to investigate? I am running a perteonix 1 and it's always been great... thank for the ideas... I rarely have to work on this car so when it acts up I have to stop and think about it pretty hard!

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Awake from slumber (with a misfire?)
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 31, 2018 02:53PM

Grounded spear probe.... Shove it under the boot of each wire on the cap... one at a time....

The one that makes no / or little difference is the culprit...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 07, 2018 12:08PM

Ok I just had a tinkering session... when fully warmed up, the right carb has vacuum but does not kill the car when covered. The left carb does the usual stumble like it should.

So i started to take apart the right carb to check for blockages or whatever..I noticed 1 o ring on the throttle shaft was very thin, and not making the usual seal with bad contact to the spring... so I went about replacing it, and cracked the top off both little brass screws on the throttle plate!! That's never happened before, what a pain!!

So I guess I have to drill those out and recover from that, and then chase blockages and air leaks on my way back to a running diagnosis.

I did start with an inline spark tester, so I know all plugs are getting spark..but does that mean they are necessarily firing???

Enough questions for me, I'm taking the afternoon off!

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 07, 2018 12:34PM

Just the the plug is firing.... too lean or no fuel.... no combustion.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 07, 2018 02:24PM

The brass screws on the throttle rod that go through the throttle plate, are peened over, so they don't come out, and go through the engine. You have to file off the peening, and then remove and replace with new screws.

Date: April 14, 2018 12:31PM

Update: I pulled the plugs on one side of the engine, all 3 were goopy and black.
The other side looked "ok", so I replaced all 6 plugs and will address the super rich carb as I rebuild it. They both had 53 jets, but I will set them up per the book and see what happens... stay tuned!

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.