home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which Steering wheel should i use on my 65 Corsa?
Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: March 31, 2018 09:09AM

Corsa Germany, here is the side view of the Corvair sport wheel column extender. Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 31, 2018 09:36AM

The original 65-66 sport wheel was riveted onto the hub. (bolted on in 64) As Jim shows, there are lots of GM wheels which will fit that pattern. Many aftermarket wheels as well. I built one up in the 80s with the factory hub. If you do this, the trick is aligning everything while bolting down the wheel. The outer shell must be held to only a little bit of runout, or it will scrape on the steering column in regular driving.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: April 16, 2018 09:27AM

Thanks folks,

Mrr Emerson do you still sell your Adapters?

I wrote you a Message to perfvair few weeks ago..

i would like to have one,

''i know that my corsa is form March 1965,..''

how can i see wich Colum and shaft i have??

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: April 16, 2018 04:17PM

I do still sell the adapters. All 65-66 Corvairs (except the tele-column) use the same adapter. This adapter will take any 5-bolt and most 6-bolt wheels. I shipped the last one from stock last week. I have 10 more on order. Delivery to me is still a few weeks out. Meanwhile, Clarks Corvair Parts also stocks them. You can order from Clarks. They will also be quicker and, likely cheaper, shipping to Germany. - Seth

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 16, 2018 05:15PM

In mid 65 GM changed to a two piece steering column with a flex coupler before a reinforcement plate on the bulkhead. That's probably what was in the picture shown of the wreck. It was safer than the single shaft as it pivoted at the bulkhead and tilted off center more than moving back against the driver (I think they got the idea from Volvo at the time). BTW the spline for the steering wheel was still the small size through 66.

In 67 the fully collapsible unit was installed as in all 67 GM cars.

I've got a test picture of a 64 with the single solid steering shaft in a crash test and you can see the steering wheel moved back a considerable distance and impacting the test dummy in the head!

Posted by: word1 ()
Date: April 16, 2018 05:55PM

With Seth's adapter plus another adapter one can even mount a Nardi steering wheel on a LM Vair. I've had this wheel for at least 30 years and it's been installed on 5 cars to date.

_jay word
Rome, GA
1965 140/4 Corsa

Attachments:
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.