Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which Steering wheel should i use on my 65 Corsa?
Date: March 27, 2018 04:34PM

Hi i think about to use a 14" Steering wheel maybe 3 Spoke,..
Is there any good option.?
i know the 64-66 are other Splines,..

Use Adapter?

i will be happy to get some Help..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Steering wheel should i use on my 65 Corsa?
Date: March 27, 2018 04:49PM

I know about the Adapters from Seth Emerson..
so the most Grants will fit.. right..

Is there no other Steering wheel that fits from GM?

Posted by: Unsafe140 ()
Date: March 27, 2018 06:11PM

IMO depends on the style of your car.
I dont think too many of the aftermarket wheels look right
in vairs.

Any pictures of your options?

Orig sport wheels are nice, not sure of the cost though.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 27, 2018 06:43PM

I think Seth makes 64-66 adapters that take the two stainless spoke imitation wood rim that was a Corvair option (also used on 65 Chevelles, but different center hub).

In 69 GM had a nice three spoke stainless wheel that came with an imitation wood rim or soft plastic rim in different colors. The third spoke is offset, but I think Seth now has an adapter machined to accept this wheel. I machined one of Seth's adapters years ago for a 1969 Camaro Rosewood rim (imitation wood) that I like and it also sits 1 inch closer to the dash that I prefer. The diameter is nearly the same.

[www.classicindustries.com]

[www.camarocentral.com]

Just found this by Seth -- see [corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 06:48PM by 66vairman.

Date: March 27, 2018 06:50PM

I'll bet you can find some great steering wheels over on the continent. I got super lucky and got a Fitch Sprint 3 spoke wheel which I adapted using a bad original steering wheel. I cut down and removed the two spokes, then ground and beveled the edges and made it adapt.

I found that the Fitch wheel was imported from England back in the day.
eBay is a great place to find this kind of stuff...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: March 27, 2018 09:18PM

Search EBAY (all categories) for: 380mm steering wheel

THERE ARE PLENTY OF GREAT POSSIBILITIES for Corvair use In 380mm size (15")

There are a lot of the standard 6 hole "MOMO" style bolting pattern wheels that look really good. Prices are extremely inexpensive from as low as $79.99 free shipping to about $199 ALL NEW, FROM DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS ETC
------Kyostar KD 8235 380mm /50mm depth EBAY#183101810272 $79.99 free ship
------Kyostar KD 8247 380mm/50mm depth EBAY#173033663533 $100.69 free ship
---also see EBAY#282136302950
---also see EBAY#253211683167
as those two are 380mm "MOMO" bolt pattern(6 bolt) steering wheels for '79-'85 FIAT SPIDERS (these are aftermarket, The 1979 thru 1985 FIAT SPIDER came standard with an oem Italian "MOMO" style 6bolt pattern steering wheel. I bought a brand new 1980 Spider 2000 w/Bosch EFI and A/C and leather interior, 38 years ago. I seem to recall that the 6 bolt MOMO pattern mounts directly onto the telescopic Corvair/Corvette steering column. Check first with Seth before buying anything to see what complications/and or adapters that might be necessary to mount these on regular steering columns, especially 1965,& 1966.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
see EBAY#253211676907
[www.ebay.com]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRANT Wheels (380mm size with 4 1/8" dish depth)
Grant model 201 EBAY#361176729390 --$97.57 free shipping
Grant model 968 EBAY#400532442572 ----$99.99 free shipping
Grant model 969 EBAY #401298873181 ----$99.99 free shipping
Grant model 989 EBAY #310708694920 ---$99 total cost
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL OF THE ABOVE 380mm (15") steering wheels are brand NEW
They are just a few very inexpensive steering wheels that will look very nice , just like they belong in your Vair. Understandibly, you will need to choose/or adapt some Horn button that looks right on a Corvair.........blue bowtie or something related to Corvair-Chevrolet.
****It is well known that Corvair folks are extremely Cheap (thrifty)! DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SELECTING A PARTICULAR STYLE OF REPLACEMENT STEERING WHEEL BASED ONLY ON THE COST OF THE WHEEL ITSELF. Why? Because the complete cost may be significantly higher IF YOU MUST have a custom adapter fabricated...etc..
Another important consideration that CANNOT be overlooked is the SIZE RELATIVE to your seating and relative to your physical human body size and arm's length..etc..
CHOOSE WISELY as to the wheel size.
Too small of a steering wheel of say 14 1/4 diameter or smaller and you will likely have an impaired view of the speedo/guages. A small wheel of the 14" variety will REQUIRE MUCH MORE ARM STRENGTH TO TURN THE CAR IN LOW SPEED "Car Park" (parking lot) SITUATIONS. Your wife might not have the strength to easily deal with a 14" steering wheel IF YOU ALREADY HAVE NON STOCK Seven Inch Wide FRONT TIRE TREAD on fourteen, fifteen, sixteen inch front wheels.
A larger steering wheel gives the driver more LEVERAGE to physically turn the steering wheel in those very low speed, "car park" situations.
THINK and DETERMINE WHAT WILL SUIT YOUR NEEDS before selecting anything.
My opinion is that one should choose a steering wheel that "LOOKS GOOD".....don't skimp on cost if the steering wheel that you really like costs slightly more. Get the one that You Think Looks Right!! Just make certain that the overall size and where it places your Arms/wrists (reach) and the seating position etc that is suitable for you and your spouse. Be certain that adapters can be fabricated that improve steering wheel placement of aftermkt wheels BUT YOU'RE JUST DOUBLING THE COST (...possibly potentially more) OF THESE INEXPENSIVE WHEELS. In that case you may be better served by just buying the "EXPENSIVE" wheel that fits perfectly and has the perfect horn button........you may just save $$ by just doing that.
These are just suggestions.
My opinion is that 380mm (15") steering wheel is a good size choice. You don't want to go any more smaller....possibly a tiny bit...............You might even like to go slightly larger than 380mm but you'll find fewer choices in aftermarket steering wheels, because only vintage cars/trucks can accept such aftermarket steering wheels today since Airbags have been standard equipment on most everything since about nearly thirty years ago.

---------------------------------
Keep looking until you find exactly what you really like in the size that is most acceptable to you. DON'T TRY TO SAVE $200 on something that YOU DON'T REALLY LOVE. A steering wheel is something you'll really use on every drive.....get what really suits you. What everybody else says or thinks about it DOES NOT MATTER....only what you (and possibly your spouse) think about it. FUNCTIONALITY IS VERY MUCH AS IMPORTANT AS OVERALL LOOKS....so choose the size Wisely!
These are all just suggestions.......

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 27, 2018 09:44PM

GM only used two 6-bolt patterns for all their 60-70s wheels to hubs. The first one was a 60-62 Corvette. It fits nothing else. After 62 GM went to the inch equivalent of the MOMO pattern, about 70mm. The difference is the rotational pattern. With the same 6-bolts GM puts two at the top, two at the side and two at the bottom. MOMO had one at the top, then a pair, another pair, and one at the bottom. The same pattern as GM, but rotated 30 degrees. (I found this out in 1973 when installed a MOMO Wheel on my 65 Telescoping column - WTF?) All the GM "Sport" wheels used this pattern, whether 2, 3 or 4 spokes. Through 1966, all of the wheels had a single piece center stamping, so the bottom face of he wheel was flat -in one plane. In 1967, the three spoke wheels that had a bottom spoke were changed to a two-piece center. The lower spoke "tucked under" the cross spoke, and were riveted on. The factory hub adapters were machined away at the bottom for clearance. My Corvair adapters, and many others, are flat on the mounting face. But the industry now makes a spacer that fills-in and presents a flat surface. It is only needed when a later factory wheel, or repro of those factory wheels are used. I, too like 15" 380mm wheel for street, especially if you have wide and/or sticky tires. A 14" wheel can work if you don't mind a little more effort. Questions?

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: March 28, 2018 04:03AM

Very nice, Sounds like an Option..

Date: March 28, 2018 05:14AM

Dear seth Emerson,
since 7 Yeras I Drive only Volkswagen Vanagon,Westy,Transporter without Powersteering,and ever used a 14 inch Steering wheel becauce my legs are more Free than..
its no Problem to have little bit more effort..
My Wife will drive the 64 Coupe in stock..or has to go fast to have it easyer--(smile)

I would like to use the Corsa Horn Button,.

can I Use the 3 Spoke Rally Wheel 67+ of the Monza with your Adapter? Right?

I don`t want to buy a cheap one that looks nice, would love to have some Original Available in the 60`s

Corsa Option,Fitch,The500,Rally Monza wheel or something like That.,,for Street use.

But i will use the Corvair not much on street..
I prefer to Have both options Street and Track.but the Thin Original Ring ins to small for my Big Hands, and much much to wide..

for Track Use:
would you go to 3-3 1/2 inch? or maybe 12"?

i will go with Stock Steering box and short Arms.

what would you Prefer with this constellation?

What do you think about clerks Gt Wheels..

Attachments:

Date: March 28, 2018 06:47AM

when i would use the Rally Monza i have to change the whole Steering shaft Completly is that right?
-than i can put in the Fast Ratio Steering box of the 60-63 and 67-69 and all the other Factory an Aftermarket wheels will fit..

seems a lot of work to an Steering wheel..

In an other post i read that the 60-63 and 67-69 are more Safe than the 64-66 because of more Parts wich could break in case of accident and do not spear the Driver with the "one Lance"

what do you think about that?

Date: March 28, 2018 07:49AM

Now i understand that i need aconfused smileypacer added to you Adapter right?

"""But the industry now makes a spacer that fills-in and presents a flat surface. It is only needed when a later factory wheel, or repro of those factory wheels are used."""

Iam Sorry but its hard to follow in a nother Language so Detailing
little bit confusing.

i do the best i can to understand and follow you..

Cordialy

Date: March 28, 2018 08:30AM

There is no "Spearing of the Driver" due to the long shaft from the steering wheel to the gearbox.
All imaginary B.S. by "safety crusaders"

Here is a 1965 Corvair that was crashed in the front end in a spectacular way:

Driver survived with injuries. Primary body impact with the steering wheel was due to not having restraint of shoulder belt, and the lack of a seat back latch.

You can easily see that there was no danger of getting Lanced!! The wheel itself, attached to the "spear" prevents any such possibility.
The wheel moved back a few inches, even the column moved as seen by the lower instrument panel coming back - but the real problem was the driver moving forward, unrestrained.
Install Shoulder Belts!! and consider more modern seats with a latch for the back-rest.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: March 28, 2018 08:36AM

Wich combination allows to take the Original Horn Button?

Date: March 28, 2018 08:45AM

Regarding the thin steeering wheel rim problem. I agree, and have found that using a padding behind a nice real leather cover makes a great addition to the original steering wheels.

Here is the 1968 Camaro wheel I wrapped and installed in my 1969 El Camino

Posted by: sportwagon400 ()
Date: March 29, 2018 08:23PM

on my telescopic column I use either one of my
Olds wheels or one of my three spoke Vette wheels its a direct bolt on to my stock hub

Current rides for
Mr Buick
69 GS 400 Convertible Buckets Console Air ( now fully restored )
69 GS 350 Buckets Console Air
69 Buick Special Deluxe 2 dr post fact air
65 Sportwagon 350 SBB 2004R w/air & cruise
65 Buick Special wagon factory air
66 Corvair Corsa Crown mid engine V8 Conversion
69 Dune Buggy 110 HP Corvair powered Crown conversion
65 Pontiac Safari Wagon V8
94 S10

Please tell my wife I have another woman it would be easier to explane!

Attachments:
Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: March 30, 2018 05:08AM

You guys forgot to mention the importance of the nut behind the wheel.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 30, 2018 05:12AM

Dan:

Is there an adapter to mount that 68 Camaro wheel on a 66 Corvair?

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 30, 2018 07:30PM

Ref: Camaro wheel into 65-66 Corvair. Al - No adapter that I know of, unless you have the tele-column. Then it would be a bolt-on! Maybe you could swap in the shaft from a 60-63 column. That has the right spline. You would have to work on the upper and lower retaining issues (doable) and the link to the steering box. Also doable, but would take some work. Swapping in a tilt-wheel column would make it simple.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 31, 2018 07:33AM

Here is what I had on the race car. No, I do not know what wheel it is other than it is marked made in Italy as is the adapter that it is attached to.

I did a major revamp of the steering system with a GM quick box and arms and all new collapsing steering shaft. I ended up with this wheel that I found in a yard sale. Of course I had to modify it to match the bolt pattern of the adapter but it works. This one has about a 3" dish as opposed to the flat one before. This did move the wheel closer to me but it is actually more comfortable that way. BTW, I am 6'1"

Seth, Remember those rod ends from a couple of years ago? Some did get put to good use!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: March 31, 2018 09:03AM

Corsa Germany,

Here is a GM Steering wheel that will fit. It is from a late 1970's Oldsmobile Starfire. A Buick Skyhawk wheel would be the same except for the horn button. I use the Olds horn button because I have a reverse rotation aluminum V-8 OLds engine in my Corsa. Since the wheel is flat compared to the deeply dished Corsa factory wheel you need the steering column extender (two pieces, shaft extender and mast jacket extender) that came with the Corvair sport wheel option. This Olds wheel has a 15 inch diameter and is a Urethane wheel which gives it a nice grip. The shaft extender is not threaded so you need to use bolts and nuts to assemble the wheel to the extender. I think the original Corsa sport wheel may have been riveted to the extender. Jim

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.