Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
pg to differential gasket?
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: March 22, 2018 04:15PM

Well haven't posted much for awhile now. Been a little bummed out!

Long story short, I put the new engine and new usd differential in my 60 with my original pg transmission. Finished it up about a month ago.
Took it out for a test run, and the differential was was making a bunch of noise. It came from my parts car and I had it checked and they thought it would be OK, but it wasn't. My bad, but I took the chance!

So after beating myself up, I got a new rebuilt differential. I just finished dropping the drive train yesterday to replace the differential.

My next question when I pulled the drive train I noticed trans fluid had leaked, and it looks like it came from the pg transmission to differential seal.

In the service manual it says to use Vaseline on the gasket and surface.

I replaced the o ring on the shift cable and other o rings.

Is there anything else to use on the seal between the transmission and differential than Vaseline?

I don't want this thing to leak again, I took great pains trying to make sure nothing leaked, the first time.

Thanks I'm now over the tantrum I thru after my first test drive and trying to get it put back together.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pg to differential gasket?
Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: March 23, 2018 10:41AM

How good are the surfaces on both the differential and transmission where the gasket lays?

Even after checking ours and even cleaning up the transmission with fine sandpaper on a flat surface (transmission was completely disassembled/bare case), ours developed a pg fluid leak along the driver's side vertical edge. At first I thought it was the governor and checked it and replaced the o-ring with a slightly larger one but the leak continued. Since ours was on our UltraVan, I asked my wife to drive while I peered through the hatch in the back with a flashlight. It wouldn't leak while idling but would if we were driving. Low and behold, I discovered it was leaking along the vertical, driver's side of the gasket and not the governor. This is not a pressurized area of the gasket, just a leak from internal splashing.

Not feeling like removing the entire drive train, I took a chance and applied some sealant externally to the seam. That was 7+ years ago and it is still sealing great. I cleaned the seam well with brake cleaner first and then applied a liberal amount of "The Right Stuff" gasket maker.

Using sealant on the gasket internally is really not recommended due to the possibility of it getting into the transmission and plugging up passages.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Date: March 23, 2018 03:02PM

Thanks Dan, I was beginning to think I was out of luck on any info.

But the surfaces where clean and bare and I went over them looking for anything. The transmission didn't leak there before with the old differential, so maybe the new one did have something I missed.

But I have the new differential that will be installed in a few days and it has been gone thru by Ken Hand, so I'm sure the gasket surfaces are good.

I knew not to use gasket sealant on the gasket but hopefully this time it will be OK!

I'm going to install new o rings again as well to make sure I didn't pinch them installing the cables and such. Its possible it came from the shift cable and just blew around on the first drive. And also check the cable again. I wrapped it again before I installed so all would be fresh.

But thanks for your help I'll check the surfaces again. Just wanted to see if there was anything else that could be used.

But

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: March 25, 2018 05:30AM

Also want to thank Ken for the info he shared with me.

Thanks Ken!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.