Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Plugging Choke Shaft Holes
Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: March 13, 2018 08:47AM

I'm in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my '66 140. A PO removed the lockout linkage and shaft from both secondary carbs and plugged the holes in the air horn for the shaft with what looks like black RTV. While it appears to have been effective, I'd really hate for this stuff to potentially shrink / lose adhesion and get sucked into the carbs. Plus, it doesn't look the greatest...

I have no plans to add the lockout linkage and shaft back to the carbs cuz (1) I don't have the parts, (2) I don't really drive at all without the engine being warmed up (off of fast idle), and (3) I've read / heard that the lockout linkage on the '66 isn't all that great.

I've struck out searching the Internet for any expansion plugs / Welch plugs to plug these holes - one side measures 1/4" and the other 9/32" (measured using drill bits). Looking for tips / advice on how to plug these holes - I can't be the only one running without the lockout shaft on otherwise stock secondaries. What do the racers who have removed the chokes do?

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plugging Choke Shaft Holes
Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 08:58AM

Lead split shot sinkers work well. I put one on the shallow side of the choke and two in the tube..Done this on a few 140s ,no issues.

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 09:45AM

I use 5/16-18 set screws. They will self thread into the Aluminum.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Attachments:

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: March 13, 2018 10:04AM

Rogers fix is the best. Those plugs won't come out, especially if you use some Loctite. I cut off the air horns, polished the inside of the top and venture and then plugged the choke holes with JB Weld. Then I used an epoxy on the inside to lock it all in place. If I did it again, I would use the plugs.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 13, 2018 11:43AM

Drill and tap for 1/8-27 socket head pipe plugs.
They won't go anywhere.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 13, 2018 01:41PM

If you will not be using any chokes, read on. If you are moving to non-stock air cleaners, read-on. Use a hack saw and trim the two sticking out flanges on top. Down 1/2" is enough. clean up with a file to make them round. Then remove the long cast tube an flatten/square the end. At that point, choose the closest diameter tap you have, tap the holes and loctite-in the set screw/pipe plug, which ever way you want. (see both suggestions above) Now you can put on decent individual - or paired - air filter assemblies and be sure you are getting fully filtered air. If you intend to retain the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system - recommended - you might be able to connect the PCV system into a carb on each head, using these holes. Worth checking out.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: March 15, 2018 08:52AM

Thanks for the ideas - the 5/16-18 set screws is what I'll most likely end up doing.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.